"How much money do historians make from all the writing they do?"

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!

NH Civil War Gal

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
My husband is a published author by independent publishers (long ago now), he blogs, and every week does a small, local independent tv show with books. His sales, with great independent reviews were in the 1500 to 3000 range. And he wrote for a niche market, not Civil War but science. He still writes, blogs, does the tv show. His big claim to fame, which bucked him up no end, was being recognized in the grocery store! But definitely don't quit your day job! To us, Eric is the Rock Star, for many reasons!

Joshism

Sergeant Major
For about a decade, I blogged for a couple of sites. All my paid work was writing about immigration related topics. At times I made 20,000 per year or more from this. My Civil War posts earned about 5,000-8,000 per year during the Sesquicentennial. That was down to about 2000 last year for The Immigrants Civil War.
May I ask if you were getting paid a flat fee from the sites, or was it pageviews / ad revenue based?

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
May I ask if you were getting paid a flat fee from the sites, or was it pageviews / ad revenue based?
I was getting a flat fee. Neither site was ad driven. I did not have have to get a particular number of page views ("hits"). Now at my new job, my blogging on immigration history has simply been folded into my work schedule and I have been put in charge of one of the websites publishing the materials, so it will be difficult after January when this goes into effect for me to disaggregate exactly what I am being paid for, though I will still be getting paid.