How many swords would a field grade officer have?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
It appears that many field grade officers has a dress sword or presentation sword and a less dressy sword for field use. So how many swords would a field grade officer usually have? Many generals probably had more than one presentation sword.

Really as many as you wanted. A workaday sword, a dress sword, a fancy presentation sword from the mayor back home, one to celebrate your promotion, one from your fraternal organization... they're like military jewelry.

As officer gained rank they did add to their sword collection as you would not see a Col with a field officers sword that he had when he was captain.

The photo of Grant seated, with the long beard shows a sword, IIRC. Was it his dress uniform or his sword he excused as "somewhere in my baggage" when Lee showed up in dress togs with sword to work out the surrender?

In the French Army under Napoleon I believe there were regulations about how many swords an officer, based on his rank, was required to take with him on campaign. I have never seen anything in print about a similar regulation for American army officers. There may be some knowledgeable guys out there who could enlighten us further.

If I remember correctly the old Gettysburg visitor center displayed a British cavalry sabre reported to have been carried by General Hays during the battle. They also had Meade's sword. Pretty cool stuff to see. I guess it's all hidden away in the basement now.

John

Back