How many New Yorkers died?

Info about both brothers can be found on Ancestry.com and Find A Grave. Alvin Alcott served as a Private in Company E, 34th New York Infantry. His brother, Daniel Alcott, was a 2nd Lieutenant in Company A, 13th Regiment, Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry (aka 42nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, 1st Pennsylvania Rifles, "Bucktails"). Daniel was killed on May 8, 1864, in the opening phase of the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House.

Can you tell when Daniel enlisted? What was the 34th’s experience like a Antietam?

Can you tell when Daniel enlisted? What was the 34th’s experience like a Antietam?

Daniel Orcutt/Alcott mustered into service in Company A, 13th Pennsylvania Reserves - the "Bucktails" - on 11 June 1861 as a Private. He was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant on 26 March 1863, and killed at Spotsylvania Court House, VA on 8 May 1864.
(from Bates)

Here's a summary for his brother Alvin's unit, the 34th NY Infantry at Antietam on 17 September, from Colonel Suiter:

... the order was given to move, which was about 7.30 o'clock a. m. We moved in a northwesterly direction. Having arrived within about 1 1/2 miles of the battle-field, where General Hooker's forces had been engaged with the enemy, we were formed in line of battle by brigades, Gorman's to the front, First Minnesota Regiment on the right, Eighty-second Regiment New York Volunteers second, Fifteenth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteers third, and my command, Thirty-fourth Regiment New York Volunteers, on the left.

General Dana's brigade formed the second line, and General Howard's brigade formed the third line. We were moved at double-quick. Arriving near the battle-field, we were moved by the right flank through a piece of timber-land [East Woods] in three columns. At this point we were considerably crowded, the three columns occupying an extent of not more than 40 paces from our left to the right flank of General Howard's brigade, the Seventh Regiment Michigan Volunteers being crowded in my ranks, causing considerable confusion.

Arriving at the open field, we were again ordered in line of battle, being still at double-quick. We moved over this field to the pike road leading to Sharpsburg [Hagerstown Pike]. Fronting this was a piece of timber land [West Woods], into which I moved my command, still at double-quick, arriving at about 20 yards in rear of a school-house [Dunkard Church], when I discovered the enemy under the hill. I immediately ordered my command to fire, which they did in gallant order.

From some cause to me unknown, I had become detached from my brigade, the one hundred and twenty-fifth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers being on my right. On my left and rear I was entirely unsupported by infantry or artillery. The enemy were in strong force at this point, and poured a tremendous fire of musketry and artillery upon me. At this time I discovered that the enemy were making a move to flank me on the left. Lieutenant Howe arriving at this time, I informed him of my suspicions. He replied that he thought they were our friends. Lieutenant Wallace, of Company C, proposed going to the front, to make what discovery he could, which I granted. He returned, saying that the enemy were moving upon my left flank with a strong force. I turned and discovered Lieutenant Richard Gorman, of General Gorman's staff, and requested him to inform the general that the enemy were flanking me. He immediately returned for that purpose. Presently General Sedgwick arrived upon the ground. Moving down my line, he discovered the situation of my command, and that the point could not be held by me, and gave the order for me to retire, which I did. Rallying my command, I formed them in line of battle, supporting a battery some 400 yards in rear of the battle-field.

In this engagement the casualties were as follows, viz: 32 killed, 109 wounded, and 9 missing. Commissioned officers: 1 killed, 2 wounded, 1 taken prisoner.

In connection with this I cannot speak in too great praise of my officers. When all acted gallantly it is impossible to single out any. I would therefore say that all did well and behaved in the most gallant manner. Of Major Beverly I would say that he was invaluable to me in assisting me on the left of my line in the most trying time. Of my color sergeant I cannot speak in too high terms. He (Sergt. Charles Burton) had carried the banner through all of the battles in which we had been engaged while on the Peninsula without receiving a wound. Here it was his fate to be struck five times, and when he was compelled to drop his colors he called upon his comrades to seize them and not to let them fall into the hands of the enemy. This was done by Corpl. G. S. Haskins, who nobly bore them from the field ...
(from his after-action Report)

Here's where they were about 9:30 am at the end of that action:

1572288358430.png

@Wesley P Ellington posted a Carman-Cope map extract for you on the earlier part of the action, as well.

Alvin has a stone (as Albin Orcott) in Antietam National Cemetery, New York Section, Grave Number 825. I hope you get/got a chance to see it.

Last edited:
Back