Discussion How Many KY/MO/MD Troops Died for the CSA?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
I honestly dont think theres any accurate way to even know how many served, much less how many died.
I agree with your statement. Over the years I've located Marylanders in units from Louisiana, Florida, Tennessee, as well as NC and Virginia. Other states may have seen numbers from the Old Line State as well.

Then there's the Canadian soldiers... Located one from Nova Scotia who wound up enlisting in the Confederacy with a South Carolina unit!

Like looking for needles in a haystack.

Desert Kid

Sergeant Major
I agree with your statement. Over the years I've located Marylanders in units from Louisiana, Florida, Tennessee, as well as NC and Virginia. Other states may have seen numbers from the Old Line State as well.

Then there's the Canadian soldiers... Located one from Nova Scotia who wound up enlisting in the Confederacy with a South Carolina unit!

Oh that was another pet subject of mine. Seeing how many Canadian and Australians found themselves in Confederate service.

As it turns out, Nova Scotia had quite a few Confederate sympathizers, more than any other part of Canada.

16thVA

First Sergeant

From what Ive read there was a pile of maryland boys serving in nelligans 1st Louisiana infantry

I cant speak much for the others states but as far as maryland confederates to find a somewhat accurate number you would have to look at the casualties of there regiments and the battles they fought in from the 2 infantry 2 calvary and 4 artillery maryland regiments in the southern army then find the casualties sustained from the maryland companies serving in the 21st and 47th Virginia infantry regiments , the 1st 43rd and 35th virginia calvary and 1st stuart horse artillery ,nelligans Louisiana infantry and so on alot of these units got beat up pretty bad at gettysburg and other major battles and some like the 1st maryland cav took casualties till the end of the war in the east at appomattox I would say overall the men from the old line states dead and wounded would have been relatively high that's not including the hundreds maybe thousands of other native sons of maryland sprinkled throughout other confederate ranks not to mention medical and signal corp as well as the navy all of which marylanders were very prominent
What it boils down to it would be very difficult but not impossible to get a close number and i would assume the other border states would be similar

Viper21

Sergeant Major
I cant speak much for the others states but as far as maryland confederates to find a somewhat accurate number you would have to look at the casualties of there regiments and the battles they fought in from the 2 infantry 2 calvary and 4 artillery maryland regiments in the southern army then find the casualties sustained from the maryland companies serving in the 21st and 47th Virginia infantry regiments , the 1st 43rd and 35th virginia calvary and 1st stuart horse artillery ,nelligans Louisiana infantry and so on alot of these units got beat up pretty bad at gettysburg and other major battles and some like the 1st maryland cav took casualties till the end of the war in the east at appomattox I would say overall the men from the old line states dead and wounded would have been relatively high that's not including the hundreds maybe thousands of other native sons of maryland sprinkled throughout other confederate ranks not to mention medical and signal corp as well as the navy all of which marylanders were very prominent
What it boils down to it would be very difficult but not impossible to get a close number and i would assume the other border states would be similar
I have, & recommend this book on the 47th VA by Homer Musselman.
https://www.amazon.com/47th-Virgini...sselman&qid=1562946398&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

It's pretty detailed, & has a pretty good roster of soldiers in it. For plenty of the soldiers listed, it shows where they were from.

Not only is one of my ancestors listed in the book but, so is a photo of him :cool:

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
I've seen the figure that roughly 2,500 troops from the border states combined died in the service of the Confederate Army.

Are there any respected estimates/guess-timates of how many troops from Kentucky, Missouri & Maryland, respectively, died in the service of the Confederate Army?
25k served in the CSA from Kentucky, 40k from Missouri and 5k from Maryland.

That totals 70,000. One out of four/five died so I would say about 15,000.

It's just an estimate I've seen in the past. May be for those that served in Maryland units.

Daniel Hartzlers book “Marylanders in the Confederacy” documents about 11000 Marylanders that he could confirm. Other estimates range from 20,000-25,000 by General Trimble and Maryland Confederate veteran Randolph McKim.

25k served in the CSA from Kentucky, 40k from Missouri and 5k from Maryland.

That totals 70,000. One out of four/five died so I would say about 15,000.
Thanks for the numbers. Do you happen to have at the fingertips the equivalent numbers for those from KY, MO and MD who served in the Union army?

Do most people believe that official secession of these states would have opened the floodgates of troops to the CSA? Or do most people believe loyalties were less about the state's official position and more about whether you self-identifying more with North or South?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!