How Many Forum Members Had Relatives that Fought at Shiloh?

As new host of the Shiloh Forum, I thought it would be helpful to find out how many of our Forum members had relatives that fought at Shiloh. I had three: My G-G-G Grandfather, Lyttleton H. Johnson, and his half brother, William A. Harper were both in Company D, 6th Mississippi Infantry, and I spoke of them in my last post. The third was my G-G-G uncle, Drury C. Godwin, who served in Company E, "Liberty Guards," 22nd Mississippi Infantry. He was wounded in the battle, and his injury eventually forced him to transfer to a mounted unit, where he served in the 4th Mississippi Cavalry.

LibertyGuardsFlag_zpsdc77318d.jpg

Flag of the Liberty Guards

So I ask, how many of you had relatives that fought at Shiloh? I look forward to your responses!

Pvt. James Jackson Gober, 13th Mississippi Regiment. Wounded (stomach-survived! Well, that's what he said...)
He crawled to a cabin and thought it was haunted "all the chairs were dancing!) taken prisoner. Exchanged.

Pvt. James Jackson Gober, 13th Mississippi Regiment. Wounded (stomach-survived! Well, that's what he said...)
He crawled to a cabin and thought it was haunted "all the chairs were dancing!) taken prisoner. Exchanged.
You may be a little mixed up - the 13th Mississippi Infantry was not at the Battle of Shiloh - they served in the Army of Northern Virginia.

My G-G-G-Grandfather served with company K, 14th Wisconsin Regiment from Shiloh to Vicksburg, where he was wounded and the war ended for him.

I had two ancestors in Company I, 22nd Tennessee (The Bell Grays) who were both wounded. My direct ancestor was taken out of action for the rest of the war, and his brother was transferred to the cavalry where he finished out the war.

Seth, I don't know if you are aware of it, but my G-G-G Grandfather's unit, the 6th Mississippi Infantry, directly assaulted the 53rd Ohio at Shiloh and got shot to pieces. So your relative fought against my relative; also CSA Today posted that his relative was in the 6th Mississippi as well, so that's three forum members that had relatives that fought against each other at Shiloh - small world! The regimental history of the 6th Mississippi, "Going to Meet the Yankees" by Grady Howell, has an entire chapter devoted to Shiloh, and goes into great detail about the regiment's attack on the 53rd Ohio.

I really hope our ancestors did not wound each other.....

Fortunately, my G-G Grandfather and G-G Uncle both came through the battle unharmed - but they were the minority in the regiment.

Whoops, i misread your earlier post, your relative in the 22nd Mississippi was wounded, my bad.

My mothers grandfather, Pvt. Marion ONeal and his brother Pvt. Thomas ONeal were in the 23rd Missouri Vol. Infantry. Marion suffered a "severe neck wound" as the pension papers stated, while the unit was engaged at the Hornets Nest. He recuperated over the following year,
MarionONeal.jpg
rejoined the unit for the Atlanta Campaign and was mustered out in Dec. 1864. He died in 1937.
Thomas was captured in the late afternoon along with others in the 23rd. He was in a prisoner exchange later and died of disease in St. Louis, Mo. Photograph was from the 1930's.

My G-G-Grandfather SGT. Crawford Walker Irvine fought at the battle of Shiloh with Co. H ("Maury Grays") of the 1st Tennessee Vol. Infantry. They saw extensive combat and were a part of Stephens 2nd Brigade that broke the Federal line at the "Hornet's Nest."

His Brother, BVT. LT. Joseph A. Irvine would have seen combat there as well had his batallion not been captured at Fort Donelson. He fought with Gant's 9th TN Cav. Batallion Co. A.

My G-G-G-Grandfather, Eleazar Stoakes served in Company G, 14th Iowa. He defended the Hornet's Nest and was ultimately captured. He was taken as a POW to Macon, GA (not Andersonville.) A few months later he was paroled (prisoner swap?) and returned home.

My G-G-G-Grandfather, Eleazar Stoakes served in Company G, 14th Iowa. He defended the Hornet's Nest and was ultimately captured. He was taken as a POW to Macon, GA (not Andersonville.) A few months later he was paroled (prisoner swap?) and returned home.

Thanks for that story, it's just never old, listening to someone's ancestor story. Only a few sentences, you can see SO much. ' Eleazar'. Great name, too.

My gg grandfather Dr. Wm C Cross originally enlisted as surgeon of 16th AL and was senior surgeon Woods Brigade at Shiloh. Woods Brigade was 3rd Brigade, 3rd Corps, Army of the Mississippi CSA and included 16th AL, 27th TN, 44th TN, 55th TN, 3rd MS Bat, 8th AR, 9th AR Bat, MS Bat, and GA Dragoons.

The history of 44th Regiment (TN) was written by Dr. D. J. Noblitt of Lincoln County, a surgeon who served with the 44th throughout the war. His account follows:

"The Mickey house had been selected by Dr. Cross (my gg grandfather) as hospital head-quarters for our brigade. By his order tents had been erected for the comfort and protection of the wounded in the yard. After examining wounds and temporarily dressing them on the field, Dr. Noblitt, aided by Dr. Chandler, had succeeded on Monday morning in transferring their wounded from the field to the Mickey house, and as comfortably quartered as could be expected with the surroundings. Rain fell Sunday night. About two o'clock p.m. Monday there was a ruinous stampede among the wagon and ambulance men, and was not fully quieted until night. It happened that a man came riding at full speed among the trains, crying, "Take care of yourselves! The Yankee cavalry has broken our lines, and will be on you in a minute!" Many of the drivers took one horse or a mule, and made all possible speed to Corinth. Others drove to the Mickey house and unloaded the wounded on the ground, without tent or fly. The ground was covered with the wounded, the dead, and the dying. After dark the rain fell in torrents upon hundreds of the poor fellows. Their agonizing cries, moans, and prayers for help and water were audible above the dashing rain and rolling thunder. But in the long night-watch the rain ceased, the thunder hushed, and so had the cries of the suffering in the stillness of death. Morning came, and with it a melancholy sight - a sleeping camp. Men lay in every possible posture, with eyes closed as if in sleep on crimson beds. The rain had washed the blood from their clothes and blankets, making the earth red.

Drs. Cross, Lawrence, and Noblitt worked all night attending the different calls and operating. Neither of them had slept for more than forty-eight hours. Late Monday evening it was understood that the hospitals and wounded would be surrendered on Tuesday morning. Dr. Noblitt succeeded in securing wagons to carry sixty-five wounded and one dead (Lieut. Patterson) to Corinth."

As new host of the Shiloh Forum, I thought it would be helpful to find out how many of our Forum members had relatives that fought at Shiloh. I had three: My G-G-G Grandfather, Lyttleton H. Johnson, and his half brother, William A. Harper were both in Company D, 6th Mississippi Infantry, and I spoke of them in my last post. The third was my G-G-G uncle, Drury C. Godwin, who served in Company E, "Liberty Guards," 22nd Mississippi Infantry. He was wounded in the battle, and his injury eventually forced him to transfer to a mounted unit, where he served in the 4th Mississippi Cavalry.

LibertyGuardsFlag_zpsdc77318d.jpg

Flag of the Liberty Guards

So I ask, how many of you had relatives that fought at Shiloh? I look forward to your responses!

My G-G grandfather and three of his brothers all fought in the Shiloh. He fought in the same unit as your G-G-G uncle, Drury C. Godwin, Company E, "Liberty Guards," 22nd Mississippi Infantry. He had two of his brothers in the same unit with him and one for Co. K., 33rd Mississippi Infantry. My G-G- grandfather and his younger brother made it through the war. His younger brother David M. Duck was wounded in the battle of Shiloh. My G-G- grandfather and two of his brothers are buried in Liberty, MS.

My ggg-grandfather was in the same unit and company Samuel Todd. I bet they knew each other.

GG Grandfather William E Moneymaker and his brother James K P Moneymaker with the 55th Illinois Infantry, Co K.
Both survived but records show James was advanced $91.00 for loss of clothing at the Battle of Shiloh. Wish I could find out what happened.

Perhaps the 55th IL was one of the Union Regiments that was over run in surprise when the Confederates attacked in the early AM? I'm sure someone who knows more will be along shortly to let us know. :smile:

Last edited:
Thank you for the page. I have a reprint of a book written by 3 members of the 55th Illinois which gives a good detail of the battle but the page you scanned is a great affirmation of the details in my book.
I am curious what happened to James clothing since he is not listed as being wounded.

Back