1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

How many forum members had relatives that fought at Bentonville?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by Stony, Feb 24, 2015.

1. ikesdad

ikesdad Cadet

Pvt Wm. A Brown - 42nd Regt Georgia Inf

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Bruce Vail likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. 7thWisconsin

7thWisconsin Sergeant

One of my wife's ancestors was in XX Corps, fought at Bentonville. Captured a week later and shipped to Belle Isle, but arrived in Richmond on April 2. So his entire POW experience was a bad ride on a slow moving squeaky train.

clayfeeter and Bruce Vail like this.
  4. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

He was lucky; but if he was in the XX Corps at Bentonville, was he also in either the XI or XII Corps that it was composed from? I read a memoir of an Illinois soldier from that corps who was in a brand-new brigade at the beginning of the Atlanta Campaign so I know not all the XX Corps units had come from the Army of the Potomac following another long train ride.

5. clayfeeter

clayfeeter Private

Good timing on his part!! He beat the rest of his corps and Sherman's entire Army to Richmond LOL

6. 7thWisconsin

7thWisconsin Sergeant

He was XI Corps, from an Illinois outfit, although off the top of my head I can't remember the number.

James N. likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)