1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

How many forum members had relatives that fought at Bentonville?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by Stony, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Stony

Stony 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

I have a few. Does anybody else?

1-James Alvin Woodall-Private, Company D, 10th Georgia Cavalry.
    2-Jasper N Woodall- Sargent, Company B, 46th Georgia Infantry.
    3-Levi Phillip Creech-Private, Company C, 50th North Carolina Infantry.

Rebforever, J. Horace and CSA Today like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Barnesville_Blues

Barnesville_Blues Sergeant

As you know, it is extremely difficult to prove that a particular soldier was at any Battle unless they were killed, wounded, or captured. Having said that, my GG Grandfather Private Henry Clay Harris, Co. B, 4th Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters SHOULD have been there. The 4th Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters was part of Cheatham's Corps, Bate's Division, Tyler's Brigade. Cheathams Corps was commanded by William B. Bate, Bate's Division was commanded by Col. D. L. Kenan who was wounded, and Tyler's Brigade was commanded by Major W. H. Wilkinson who was killed during the Battle. They made two seperate charges at Bentonville the second of which nearly broke through the union line and would have if not for a perfectly timed Union Counter attack. My ancestor was on the roll when the Army Surrendered a month later. So baring an unpublished wounded or sickness, he should have been there.

4. Chattahooch33

Chattahooch33 Sergeant Major Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

The following are family members that I can't "prove" shouldn't be there. Nothing in their service records indicate they were absent, wounded, killed, etc. that would keep them from being there.

1st Georgia Regulars

1st Sgt. William Hill Andrews Co. M

34th Georgia Infantry
    Cpl. James Whelchel Co. B

36th Georgia Infantry
    1st Liet. Robert R. Grant Co. I
    Cpl. Thomas Jefferson Grant Co. I

39th Georgia Infantry
    Pvt. Joseph Monroe Anderson Co. G

41st Georgia Infantry
    Pvt. Matthew Randolph Co. C

42nd Georgia Infantry
    Pvt. Matthew Randolph Co. C

43rd Georgia Infantry
    Pvt. Hugh B. Henderson Co. G
    4th Sgt. John D. Pass Co. F
    2nd Cpl. Thomas Jefferson Pass Co. F
    Pvt. Joseph Marion Parks Co. G

52nd Georgia Infantry
    Pvt. Joseph Hopper Co. F

65th Georgia Infantry
    Pvt. John S. Sellers Co. H
    Pvt. Isaac Marion Sellers Co. H
    Pvt. Kinchen Carr Mincey Co. F
    Pvt. John W. Mincey Co. C

Pvt. Lindsey Harper Co. H

Cobb's Legion Cavalry
    Pvt. Reuben P. Rives Co. H

Phillip's Legion Cavalry
    Lieut. Col. William Wofford Rich Co. B&H

46th Alabama Infantry
    Pvt. Miles Van Buren Burns Co. A

37th Alabama Infantry
    Pvt. James Lewis Tucker Co. E

39th Alabama Infantry
    Pvt. James A. Tucker

22nd Mississippi Infantry
    Pvt. George W. Avent Co. H

31st Mississippi Infantry
    Sgt. William J. Avent Co. B

33rd Alabama Infantry
    Pvt. Henry R. Goolsby Co. K

5. Tin cup

Tin cup 1st Lieutenant

I know my GGUncle Sgt. Alexander N. Thornton of Company C (latter to Co.D) 39th Georgia was there.
    1st LT. W. H. C. Freeman, Company C, 39th Georgia was also there, he was a Brother to my GGGGrandmother.
    So was Cousin of my GGGrandmother, William E. Sloan, Co. D, 5th Tennesse Cav.

Kevin Dally

CSA Today, J. Horace and Stony like this.
  6. Bruce Vail

Bruce Vail 2nd Lieutenant

My wife and son are descended from the Taylor family of New Hanover County and Duplin County, N.C. A bunch of Taylors were in an artillery unit defending the Port of Wilmington 1862-1865 and converted to a Red Infantry unit following the fall of Fort Fisher.

Jacob W. Taylor -- my wife's great great grandfather -- was a Lt. in the 1st NC Heavy Artillery and is documented as having been captured by the enemy at Bentonville. He was shipped to the POW camp at Pt. Lookout, Md., and later transferred to the officers camp at Johnson's Island, Ohio. He was released after taking his Oath of Allegiance there June 17, 1865.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    CSA Today and J. Horace like this.
  7. Harris

Harris Private

My 3rd great Grandfather - Capt. Isaac McMillan fought at the battle of Bentonville along side his comrades of the 75th Indiana.

Bruce Vail and J. Horace like this.
  8. Reb

Reb Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

How many forum members had relatives that fought at Bentonville?

Is this a trivia question? I have no idea, and really no way of figuring this out. :nerd:

9. Gladys Hodge Sherrer

Gladys Hodge Sherrer Sergeant

My great-great- grandfather Oliver Perry Williams served with the Army of Tennessee in the Battle of Bentonville, under General Joe Johnston. He was a conscript in Company E of the 27th Alabama Regiment, which, before Battle of Kennesaw, combined with 35th Alabama and 49th Alabama. By the time he reached Greensboro and surrendered for parole, seven regiments had combined to form one, battered beyond belief. He survived to come home. Thus, I am here.

Bruce Vail, CSA Today and Reb like this.
  10. CSA Today

CSA Today Colonel

Great grandfather Pvt. Nathaniel L. McCormick, Co. E., 40th North Carolina/ 3rd Regiment Artillery. Fought as infantry at Wyse Forks and Bentonville.

Great Uncle 1st Sergt. John A. McCormick, Co. B. 6th Mississippi Infantry.

Bruce Vail likes this.
  11. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 1st Lieutenant

I had two ancestors whose units were there at the battle, so they should have been there as well, as far as I know.

William Franklin Owen, 42nd NC
    Thomas Barton, 16th SC Volunteers

Bruce Vail and CSA Today like this.
  12. FiremarshalBill

FiremarshalBill Private

My ancestor Isaac O. Waite fought with Battery "B" of the 1st Michigan Light Artillery and was seriously wounded at the battle of Griswoldville, GA on the 22nd of November 1864 and was carried along in a hospital wagon for the rest of Sherman's march to the sea. By February of 1865 he was recovered enough to return to his battery and took part in the battle of Bentonville, NC.
    Isaac O. Waite - 1st Michigan Light Artillery.jpg

Bruce Vail and Andersonh1 like this.
  13. clayfeeter

clayfeeter Private

Thanks for asking!
    78th Illinois, my gr. gr. gramps John R. Gott (pictured) was wounded while on skirmish duty, far Union right of Day #1; lost a testicle to Hoke's cannister, yet STILL had 6 more kids when he got home! (and why my cousin always says "that's why we are all half nuts in this family", LOL)....

78th Illinois, my gr gramps's brother Thomas Gott

Cousins:
    43rd OH, James H. Dewey, mortally wounded in "Mower's Dash" portion of Bentonville

98th OH, Lt. James Jewett

123rd NY, George Ketchum

Attached Files:

Bruce Vail likes this.
  14. clayfeeter

clayfeeter Private

15. clayfeeter

clayfeeter Private

Wow! That is impressive.

16. Reb

Reb Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

I had kin that weren't there that could have been. One got shot through the hip at Franklin, and the other deserted before Bentonville.

17. Schwallanscher

Schwallanscher 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

as you very well know, to answer a trivia question a source is required :tongue:

18. Bruce Vail

Bruce Vail 2nd Lieutenant

Here are a few paragraphs from a genealogy produced by my wife's grandfather Herman Ward "Pop" Taylor in 1972:

"At the Battle of Bentonville, Joseph M. Linton, 16 years of age, was on the firing line with a rifle. He told me sixty men in Taylor's Battery (then converted to infantry) went into the charge. After the battle, when mess call sounded, only fifteen showed up. He said all who could make it showed up, because they were hungry. Uncle Joe said he tried to hide behind a little pile of lightwood knots he had gathered and bullets came close enough to flick sand in his face. Uncle Joe told me in 1928, 'I was unable to to find the **** rascal, he must have been hidden in a tree.' A sniper no doubt. Uncle Joe said he was close enough to Captain John William Taylor to have touched him with his hand, when the rifle bullet, that caused Capt. Taylor's death, struck him. That Yankee sniper may have fired that fatal bullet.

"James Stokes Taylor, 17 years of age (my grandfather) assisted the surgeons while they operated on the wounded in The Harper House at Bentonville."

Herman Ward Taylor (the author) was born in 1900 and grew up in the small town of Magnolia, N.C. (Duplin County). His branch of the Taylor family were kin to the Lintons and Wards, so young Herman grew up with relatives all around him who were Confederate veterans or the wives and children of veterans. The Civil War was recent history for him as a kid. Unfortunately, I did not get to know "Pop" very well -- he passed away shortly after my wife and I were married in 1987.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    clayfeeter and Reb like this.
  19. Championhilz

Championhilz Sergeant

My G-G Uncle, William A. Harper of Smith County, Mississippi, was probably there. He was Captain of Company D, 6th Mississippi Infantry - his regiment was consolidated in 1865, so he became Captain of Company A, 14th Mississippi Infantry (Consolidated) and was with that unit in North Carolina when the war ended.

clayfeeter and Bruce Vail like this.
  20. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

Jasper Blair who is described in my signature was paroled in North Carolina and was then serving as a member of the 1st Alabama Consolidated (from a dozen or more previous regiments) but I believe his Brigade arrived too late to have participated in the battle.

Bruce Vail likes this.
  21. Rank and File

Rank and File Private

I have quite a few that fought with the Union forces in the West, but only one that I believe made it to Bentonville.
    G-G Uncle Henry Clay Roberts, Sgt Co G, 97th Indiana.

Bruce Vail likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)