1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Discussion in 'Foods of the Civil War' started by donna, Apr 28, 2016.

1. LoriAnn

LoriAnn Captain

This is a gorgeous backyard already!

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Schwallanscher

Schwallanscher 2nd Lieutenant

like that?

[​IMG]

FarawayFriend likes this.
  4. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Thank you. My significant other is taking care of it, he will be pleased to hear that!

Hmm, not bad, but maybe I would rather like that:
    Startbild.jpg

Or maybe that here in the garden pond:

montauk2.png
    (photos taken with thanks from the site of a German reenacting group, the 7th Georgia Cavalry)
    http://www.cs-cavalry.de/

5. Schwallanscher

Schwallanscher 2nd Lieutenant

as that would bring you into conflict (bigtime) with the emmissionsschutzgesetz (epa-stuff) you won't have fun with it for long. also the kriegswaffenkontrollgesetz will apply. see you in court?

6. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

It was a joke. Ever heard of that?

Definition:
    joke: something that is amusing or ridiculous, especially because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham; a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/joke

Stony and pamc153PA like this.
  7. Chattahooch33

Chattahooch33 Sergeant Major Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

Those guys look more realistic than most I have seen here in the states!

8. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Andrea what a beautiful backyard. Thanks for posting to show us.

pamc153PA likes this.
  9. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

Everything's way ahead of schedule in my yard.
    I've already had to mow the lawn about five times since mid February.

I have a hedgerow of large azaleas along the property line in my side yard. They went into full bloom much earlier than usual.

I took this photo on March 4th.
    unnamed.jpg

All the blooms are now gone, but it was a great show for a couple of weeks.

10. photoman475

photoman475 Corporal

Well gang, I'm back with the first report for the 2017 gardening season here in North Dakota. Yesterday was the first day of the season, and it was good to transplant a couple of indoor plants for the spousal unit. They went into larger pots, having outgrown what they were in. Getting the hands dirty felt nice. Temp was in the 50s. Today was an even better day! I got four containers planted, two with radish seeds and two with lettuce. Nice cold weather seeds, and easy to move into the house if it gets too cold! I also got two rain barrels set up, and raised garden box #3, the General Meade, turned over and leveled off. It's ready for tomatoes or whatever to go in, after I add some lime to the box. I tried to turn over raised garden box #1, the General Grant, but it's still frozen from about 6" down!

I also got some of the hanging baskets filled with new potting soil and set out, and three of them with some seed for annuals. Today was another day in the 50s. The weather people are predicting 70s for next weekend, and that would be early for April! Not complaining, but the anticipation will get to me. The week nights after work will be spent getting mulch off the front yard plants and planning for next weekend.

11. John Winn

John Winn Captain

Ah, a man of faith - the sun will return !

This week we got the first non-rain days in months and I did much as you did. Get out there and get some dirt under the fingernails. Happy to hear you were able to do so. I like your planter names, too. Haven't got around to naming ours but you might be an inspiration. Hope you have fresh salad mixing's soon !

donna likes this.
  12. donna

My husband got yard fertilized and weed spray put down. He also cleaned up all our planting beds. The trees are all in bloom now. The weeping cherry is so pretty this year. We have one with pink blooms. Also our magnolia is full of blooms.

Spring has sprung here in Ky. I am so glad.

13. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Anna Elizabeth Henry Sergeant Major Silver Patron

I worked in my garden for a good hour and a half pulling weeds (I was shocked to find so many weeds sprouting up already, those hardy little devils!) and removed a bunch of moss. I fertilized my blooming shrubs and bushes too. I'm hoping for some blooms sooner or later. I just hope the ice storm a few weeks ago right after a warm spell didn't ruin the spring flowers!

14. photoman475

photoman475 Corporal

Continued some gardening work today. I planted two containers of spinach seeds for starters, then got a a corner raised flower bed cleaned out and some annual flower seeds planted. Two perennials survived the winter, so there is a start in that box. I also got lime spread in two raised boxes; those are now ready for tomato plants. I also resumed work on raised box #2, the General Sherman. I messed it it up when I built it to begin with and am going to finish cleaning it out and correcting the dirt problems I had with it. I prefer veggies that grow over those that don't. Tomorrow's plan is to start out front and clean out the dead plants in the mailbox plantings and along the east side fence.

My four garden boxes are General Grant, General Sherman, General Meade, and General Thomas. As a Union Army reenactor, I cannot bring myself to name any of my raised garden boxes for Rebels. My wife wants a raised flower box out in the front yard. I think that one should be named for Clara Barton, Harriet Beecher Stowe or Julia Ward Howe. I am open to Union Army suggestions only for that box.

15. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

Well you're no fun ! :smoke:

Today I sprayed some roundup on a poison ivy vine that's been trying to take over my blueberry bushes for two years. I've been pulling it up each Spring, but it keeps returning.

I refer to that poison ivy vine as General "Spoons" Butler.

It's not deadly . . . just irritating. :bounce:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  16. LoriAnn

LoriAnn Captain

I hadn't even considered naming my plants. So apparently, I'm the one who is truly no fun.

We name our caterpillars and spiders though. :nerd: The caterpillars are cute. The spiders are named for negotiation purposes:

"Okay, Tulip. I am going to clean around your web. You just say there, and I'll just stay here. Nobody needs to bite anybody or squish anybody, got it?"

Actual photo of Tulip, linked so people who don't dig spiders can skip seeing her. We think she's a female Banded Garden Spider. These little dudes apparently make a good compass: Their webs are built spanning east to west, and they hang face down with their abdomens facing south.

17. donna

I name all my trees. Usually for family members who passed on. I try to get the person's favorite tree and plant in the yard. My Mom loved Magnolias. I have one in front named after her. It is Norma Magnolia. My Dad loved evergreens. Have a White Pine named after him. It is Jimmy the White Pine. I know sounds crazy but makes them so personal.

18. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

Neal finally mowed the lawn.... just in time....I couldn't see the dogs unless the boxer jumped up at a squirrel.

19. John Winn

John Winn Captain

Last year our new neighbors hired a contractor to re-build the fence that separates our properties and he cut down our twenty-year-old Virginia creeper vines. So, last fall I planted some new ones and this week they broke bud and are all looking great ! I'm hoping they put out some good growth this year; ain't got a lot of years left to see them mature.

And our somewhat-tame scrub jay "Scrubby" was just observed gathering nesting materials so we're hoping for some grand babies in the next month or so. You can't really differentiate males from females from looks and they both help build the nest, sit on the eggs, and help feed the young so we still don't know if Scrubby is a he or a she but whatever. He/she comes every morning to take the peanuts we feed him/her out of hand and sometimes will just come and sit near us - like when we're in the hot tub - and chirp some little contented tunes.

If we see any fledglings I'm going to buy some grub worms and see if we can "train" a second generation.

Lots of things are in bloom but the weather is miserable for humans - cold and wet - so it's hard to appreciate the bloom. At least the lettuce is doing nicely (a cool-weather crop) so maybe we'll have some home-grown salad soon.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  20. John Winn

John Winn Captain

Back again.

I just thought I'd report that this year I'm going to try compost tea (not me personally; on the plants). I've not done it before but do have very good compost with lots of worm castings so am making some up. Anybody use it ?

The wife just had to have some exotic peppers she read about so ordered some seeds and that meant starting them inside under a grow lamp. They're up and we're putting them out during the day now to harden them off but a few look a bit chlorotic - not sure why as we used a good potting soil. Anyway, I had a flash and thought maybe some compost tea might green them up (don't want to use commercial fertilizers as those would probably burn seedlings). Since I'll have a good quantity I'm going to put it on the lettuce too (which we planted last month).

If the lettuce likes it I'll try it on the rest of the garden once that goes in. Woohoo - I'm gardening now !

21. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Anna Elizabeth Henry Sergeant Major Silver Patron

This miserable back and forth weather in the Northeast is really putting a damper on my spring garden. On Sunday it was 87 and sunny. Today 48, raining and windy. My poor azaleas and lilacs were about to bloom but I think decided to hold back due to the lack of warmth and sunshine. Though I do see my hardy lilies of the valley popping up a little bit, so I just have to hope once they come up and bloom I don't get rain or else it ruins the little white bells!

LoriAnn and John Winn like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)