1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by donna, Apr 28, 2016.

1. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel Forum Host

I was looking at the azaleas today and the blossoms are a lot bigger then normal.do not know why but they really look better then ever.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Anna Elizabeth Henry 2nd Lieutenant Silver Patron

I had the wacky azalea giving me beautiful blooms in October, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best this spring. You're lucky you've got flowers blooming at this time of year!

John Winn, AshleyMel and nitrofd like this.
  4. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

We have some crocus pushing thru. Will be so glad when they come up.

5. nitrofd

Ours as a rule will start to bloom after feb.15th thru march.this year the started in Jan.it is always nice to watch the Masters Golf Tournament in Augusta,GA.first week in April as all the fairways are lined with azalea bushes.

6. donna

Does anyone have a Gardenia bush outside? We have one in Florida. It bloomed last year but hasn't yet. We are going to home in Feb. 18 thru 26. Hope to check on it. If you have any suggestions on how to help it bloom please let me know.

John Winn likes this.
  7. nitrofd

We do not have one,so can't help you out with your request.

John Winn likes this.
  8. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Here's a link to gardenia care - https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/or...enia-care-to-get-a-gardenia-bush-to-bloom.htm

I've never had one, but have other flowering spring shrubs. Did you trim the bush right after blooming or in the summer or fall? I know that cuts off future spring blooms for the following season doing it in the summer/fall.

John Winn, AshleyMel and donna like this.
  9. donna

Since we not at Florida home very often, we pay someone to take care of our yard and plants. Will have to find out from them when they trimmed.

Thanks for site and advice.

10. AshleyMel

AshleyMel Sergeant

My family and I were just at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA yesterday and I noticed some small azalea bushes blooming. Growin' up my Nanny had hand planted over 100 plants on her property in SC! They grew to be huge over the years and my sisters and I would play in them! How I miss my home. Every once and a while my daughter will get some small azalea plants in pots at the grocery store where she works and will bring one home to me. I CAN NOT for the life of me get them to live! I don't know if they just do not like the central California weather or if I just do not have a knack for growing things but I sure wish I could get a least one bush to survive. Nanny also had African violets but I have been told they are pretty difficult so I'm not willing to give those a go at all.

donna and John Winn like this.
  11. John Winn

John Winn Captain

Azaleas are a type of rhododendron and have some definite site requirements. They generally won't tolerate direct sun and need to be in a place with filtered sun (i.e. partial shade). Also, they need an acid soil that is well drained. They also need the soil to be kept moist (but not wet). They are surface feeders so regular composting - or fertilizing - is required (I prefer compost to commercial fertilizers). If you have a clay or alkaline soil you could probably grow some in a planter box or a raised bed arrangement as long as they aren't in direct sunlight. That gives you control over the soil too.

In the central valley it's pretty hot in the summer so you'll have to make sure you water. That's about all I can tell you.

I've not grown any personally but I have had rhodies. I did everything right but they bloomed only some years - and never profusely - and I eventually replaced them all. I suspect that in some years it just got too cold and killed the buds but can't say for sure. I contacted experts and nobody could figure it out. If you live in the perfect environment picky plants can be easy but the farther you get from their ideal habitat the more work it will be.

Hope that helps a little.

FarawayFriend and AshleyMel like this.
  12. nitrofd

Most of our azaleas are in indirect sunlight.a grower we know taught us how to graft the bushes and plant new ones.our soil is a mixture a little clay and mostly a very Sandy loam.we would cut a small branch and crush the bottom of the stem and stick it Rootone for 24hrs and then transfer it to a pot for about two months,then we would transfer them to the garden and they grow like crazy.

AshleyMel likes this.
  13. AshleyMel

AshleyMel Sergeant

Great tips! Thank you! Thank you John W. and nitrofd! Our property back home was very shady (plenty of pine trees) so that makes so much sense about the indirect sunlight! Yes, nothing indirect about the central valley summers to be sure (just hot, hot, hot - my tomatoes burned up two years ago) so keeping the ground wet is a challenge out here! I think if I want to tackle them, planters would be the way to go and then a nice shady side of the house to be sure!

nitrofd likes this.
  14. John Winn

John Winn Captain

You are most welcome. I think planters probably would be your best bet if you can keep them moist.

And most rhodies live in coniferous forests in the understory. Conifer needles are very acidic so that adaptation is why they need acid soil. You might have to fertilize once or twice a year. There are ones made especially for rhodies and azaleas; ask at a nursery or a big box store. I hope you can make it work.

FarawayFriend and AshleyMel like this.
  15. BelleBlackburn

BelleBlackburn Sergeant

FYI: If you save food scraps for compost be sure to place the utensils used for obtaining those food scraps away from them when finished. Otherwise you might move the compost pile from one end of the garden bed to the other and find the missing vegetable peeler and grapefruit spoon. Not saying I know anyone who did this, just heard about it...

16. Anna Elizabeth Henry

These things can happen more easily than one thinks. I know someone who left their measuring cup in the flour container and couldn't find it until they went back to use their flour...:whistling:

17. John Winn

John Winn Captain

Soil organisms use a form of mimicry to evolve such implements which in turn attract users who in turn will create more compostable materials that the organisms eat. In a form of mutualism the users often think that they misplaced the evolved objects and are thus motivated to claim them and put them to use.

18. John Winn

John Winn Captain

First bloom on the camellia today and the fragrant Daphne is in full bloom. The pink-flowered evergreen clematis is just about to pop. And we took advantage of a three-hour respite in the rain and bought lettuce starts and got them all planted just before it started to rain again. So far we're at the fifth wettest winter on record and there's more storms lined up out in the ocean. I'm a reasonable man and know we need the water but enough is enough ! I want the sun to actually return !!

Anyway, we've got some flowers and everything in town turned green within the last few days and all the early bloom things popped (e.g. forsythia, cherry trees). So it's kinda spring. Would be nice if we could get out without rain gear. Tonight we're going to do one of the pagan ceremonies we've used before to ensure the return of the sun. They're kind of a mess and one gets cold for a while - being nekkid and all - but at least wine is involved. We dream now of salad.

19. Anna Elizabeth Henry

My snow flowers and burgeoning spring bulbs were doused by a freezing rain and snow last week - about 8 inches of it. I'm just hoping my azaleas and lilacs won't be affected :thumbsdown:

AshleyMel and FarawayFriend like this.
  20. Chattahooch33

Chattahooch33 Sergeant Major Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

Plowing and everything is done. Ready to plant.

Front section will be veggies while back section will be corn, cotton, tobacco.

upload_2017-3-20_11-45-40.png

21. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Not much going on in our back yard. Can't wait to see something colorful!!!
    DSC_0002.JPG

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)