1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Discussion in 'Foods of the Civil War' started by donna, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Anna Elizabeth Henry Sergeant Major Silver Patron

My confused or ever-blooming azalea is still providing some very late fall blooms to my garden IMG_1483.JPG .

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. rosefiend

rosefiend First Sergeant

Sounds like you're doing it right.

I have a chicken house right in the yard, which helps. Maybe I should move it to the garden so the girls could take care of the weeds for me....

donna and John Winn like this.
  4. photoman475

photoman475 Corporal

I know today will be the final push in The Battle of the Leaves, and in Operation Lawn Mower. It's not unusual to fight the leaves in November, but still cutting the grass in Fargo in November when it's going to be in the mid-60s???? Best Fall EVER in Fargo!

LoriAnn, rosefiend and John Winn like this.
  5. LoriAnn

LoriAnn 1st Lieutenant

Autumn color in our yard.

MooYardCollage.jpg

6. nitrofd

nitrofd Major Forum Host

Nothing in our garden now but planting will start Feb.15.after that date we have little or no chance of a hard freeze.

Anna Elizabeth Henry and LoriAnn like this.
  7. pamc153PA

pamc153PA Captain Forum Host

Putting my garden to bed. I plan to finish cutting down all the dead stuff today, spread some compost, bone meal, and Gardentone organic fertilizer, and call it a growing season. I still have kale growing like gangbusters, and in my cold frame I have parsley, cilantro and lettuce growing. Until the ground freezes, I'm doing "hot composting"--digging holes in the beds and dumping in compostable materials like kitchen scraps and coffee grounds, then covering them over so they compost through the winter. I have a composter, but it's small, so I'm trying this, as well.

As for my indoor garden, I just planted my amaryllis for Christmas, my Christmas cactuses are budding, and I have paper white bulbs all ready to go starting after Thanksgiving. I also have brought my outdoor plants inside, or have taken cuttings of those that are too big or straggly, and I have pots of parsley and basil in my sunroom.

I'm already creating lists of the seeds I'll order after the New Year, and plans for changes I want to make in my garden next year.:smile:

8. LoriAnn

LoriAnn 1st Lieutenant

Oh, this sounds interesting! Thank you for mentioning it ~ I'm going to go check this idea out.

rosefiend and pamc153PA like this.
  9. photoman475

photoman475 Corporal

I've been doing the same thing with coffee grounds for some of my containers as winter approaches, err, now that it's started here in the Red River Valley. We had three inches of snow yesterday, south of us got slammed with a blizzard and 30-40mph winds.

pamc153PA and Northern Light like this.
  10. photoman475

photoman475 Corporal

Gardening friends, I need help, or at least a suggestion or two.

I like the idea of reusing my coffee grounds as fertilizer, and would like to continue doing so. However, now that there is about 2 feet of snow on the ground here in Fargo, putting it in the garden is not feasible until late March at the earliest. Any recommendations on storing grounds for the winter, and what should I do if the grounds get moldy during storage? I can keep them in my garage easily enough, where the grounds will freeze.

LoriAnn likes this.
  11. John Winn

John Winn Captain

Your options are limited. The easiest thing might be to get yourself a plastic container with a good lid and just store your grounds - and the filters - until spring. If you're really dedicated you could try worm composting but you'd have to have a space in a heated area and tend to it fairly often and still would need someplace to store up the results. At this point, too, you'd need to have a commercial source for some worms which may or may not be available where you live.

I've got three compost bins outside and while we do get some freezing temperatures generally it's not frozen and we're not covered in snow. So I just have a plastic bin I keep under the sink which I empty into a compost bin when it is filled with kitchen waste. The worms don't get active until the temperature goes up but everything composts nicely.

So, I think if I were you I'd go find a good-sized plastic bucket with a screw top and just store your grounds until spring. Many restaurants get stuff in five-gallon plastic buckets and you might find one that would just give you one (which they usually just have to throw away anyway).

Good luck and good on ya for recycling.

12. RebelCause

RebelCause Corporal

A few daisies I've been growing in a tiny Australian garden in Sydney. IMG_0930.JPG

13. photoman475

photoman475 Corporal

I do have a Firehouse Subs 5 gallon pickle bucket and lid I could use. I don't use filters, because I have a Keurig machine and will remove the foil from the tops and pour out the used grounds. I also have the reuseable Kcup filter too, and at work we only have Keurig machines. The garage is a nice freezer right now, too. Thanks John.

LoriAnn and rosefiend like this.
  14. rosefiend

rosefiend First Sergeant

@John Winn has the right idea. You can do vermicomposting in the house, too. You get a big bin, a bunch of shredded newspaper, some red wrigglers (go to your local bait store). You moisten the newspaper and put that and the worms in the big bin. Then you feed them compostables like apple cores, leftover bones from your pork chops (they love meat), coffee grounds, etc. They give you worm castings, which are like solid gold to plants, only better.

I haven't done any vermicomposting due to lack of space (though now it occurs to me that I now have space!). The classic go-to book for this is Worms Eat My Garbage by Mary Appelhof. The University of Nebraska Extension also has some good info: http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/vermicompost107.shtml

Of course North Dakota is a whole nother ball game for gardening and my hat is off to you!

15. photoman475

photoman475 Corporal

I don't mind the idea of vermicomposting, but the bucket has to be in the garage. That is so I don't have to listen to my wife's complaints about it. The garage is way too cold for worms right now-they'd freeze! But it is something to look into for the warmer months. Thanks, rosefiend and John.

Is Confusion anywhere near Springfield? My daughter did a semester at Missouri State and she loved the place, but she got sick and had to come home to finish college.

rosefiend likes this.
  16. rosefiend

rosefiend First Sergeant

That's the same reason I haven't done any vermicomposting. That garage gets collllld.

I'm a little over four hours to the north. Springfield is a pretty nice place.

17. John Winn

John Winn Captain

Well .... we've got crocuses blooming today and most of the bulbs have put up leaves. And there's worms in the compost (do se do). So it looks good that the sun will, indeed, return.

We're also hoping Scrubby, our tame jay, will mate and introduce us to the kids so we'll end up with a little family of friendly jays.

Anna Elizabeth Henry and donna like this.
  18. nitrofd

nitrofd Major Forum Host

Our azaleas have been blooming for three weeks now which is way to early.all this warm weather is driving the plants crazy.

Anna Elizabeth Henry likes this.
  19. rosefiend

rosefiend First Sergeant

IT WAS 17 DEGREES HERE YESTERDAY

20. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Too cold here also. John those crocus sound wonderful.

21. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Anna Elizabeth Henry Sergeant Major Silver Patron

A neighbor who gets morning sun in a walled in garden had some crocuses pushing out on Wednesday when it was 63 in the city. Then the bottom dropped out on Thursday when I woke up to near blizzard conditions and 13 inches of snow by the end of the storm. Yesterday we had freezing rain. Such a mess in my neighborhood with the frozen slush now and a gale force wind warning.

I feel like I live on a barren prairie these days as I count down the days to warmer weather :cold:

rosefiend and donna like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)