How do you organize your genealogy?

I confess I have the utter worst, most lazy bail-out answer of all time: I let my much more knowledgeable cousin do it. I am serious. He is a genius at this stuff, and he's been working on it much longer than I have.

I know this was not the answer you sought. I just thought some of our fellow members would enjoy a laugh at my expense! I deserve it, too!

I use Brother's Keeper, because I started with it many years ago. I've been satisfied but haven't done any side by side comparisons. I've been especially pleased with the great customer service from BK.

I like the DNA tie in to trees. Had been stumped at five generations back within one branch. Then I found a DNA match to a man with the surname spelt slightly different. Was able to get past the GGGGPa in Pennsylvania using his information.

I use Family Tree Maker but supplement that with a lot of files I've put together to explain and document a lot of the family history. Back in the day I went with Tree Maker because it linked my tree in Ancestry and automatically downloaded source documents to my PC as well as eliminated having to make edits twice. Unfortunately, now Ancestry no longer supports Tree Maker but, as I'm done with Ancestry type edits, that really doesn't matter so I've just left the data on Tree Maker. It does have a lot of good tools and report formats so I'm happy with it even if it's no longer supported by Ancestry.

I use Family Tree Maker but supplement that with a lot of files I've put together to explain and document a lot of the family history. Back in the day I went with Tree Maker because it linked my tree in Ancestry and automatically downloaded source documents to my PC as well as eliminated having to make edits twice. Unfortunately, now Ancestry no longer supports Tree Maker but, as I'm done with Ancestry type edits, that really doesn't matter so I've just left the data on Tree Maker. It does have a lot of good tools and report formats so I'm happy with it even if it's no longer supported by Ancestry.

I still fire up FTM to publish books.

Reactions: ARW
Back