How Dixie Went from Being a Pop Song to an Anthem

Was that really Tennessee Ernie Ford or just someone trying to sound like him? How do you get a Tennessee boy to sing a Yankee song?
It was the real guy. He seems to have done two albums of Civil War era songs, one devoted to Union songs and the other Confederate. He even performed the marching song of the 1st Arkansas Colored Regiment, which is interesting considering he was a country singer in the Jim Crow era.

Since he was from east Tennessee perhaps it was appropriate that he covered songs from both sides. The county he was from supported the Confederacy, but support for the Union was fairly widespread in the eastern Tennessee, with people in that portion of the state voting 2-to-1 overall against secession. Tens of thousands of men from Tennessee, most from eastern counties, would fight for Union during the war.

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Polloco

First Sergeant
How a song is used or by who should'nt really matter. A song is a song. If a good tune is used in a crappy movie does the tune then become crappy also? Blame the user or misuser not the song itself.

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
How a song is used or by who should'nt really matter. A song is a song. If a good tune is used in a crappy movie does the tune then become crappy also? Blame the user or misuser not the song itself.
Consumers consume songs and they will determine the popularity of songs.

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant
Consumers consume songs and they will determine the popularity of songs.
Well since it's stuck around since the 1850's I think it's safe to assume the consumers have spoken, as they usually do, some love ,some hate , some are indifferent. Personely I don't see it going any where because it's now in vouge to complain.

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Well since it's stuck around since the 1850's I think it's safe to assume the consumers have spoken, as they usually do, some love ,some hate , some are indifferent. Personely I don't see it going any where because it's now in vouge to complain.
However, a whole new set of consumers are speaking as the old ones are in the past. As the stockbrokers say, past performance is not indicative of future results

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant
However, a whole new set of consumers are speaking as the old ones are in the past. As the stockbrokers say, past performance is not indicative of future results
point taken. However, banning or even relegating certain things , like a song in this case to sooth perceived hurt feeling and right historical wrongs is an exercise in futility, it changes not a thing in a historical context. The groups spoken of will adopt a new anthem or write one and it only continues round and round we go .

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
point taken. However, banning or even relegating certain things , like a song in this case to sooth perceived hurt feeling and right historical wrongs is an exercise in futility, it changes not a thing in a historical context. The groups spoken of will adopt a new anthem or write one and it only continues round and round we go .
I doubt it will be banned, but simply go out of style.

Polloco

First Sergeant
Aren't you glad "they" havent figured out how to erase memories ..Yet. Old times there are not forgotten... ....Kind of like society telling you " I forbid you to enjoy that song"

Viper21

Sergeant Major
Aren't you glad "they" havent figured out how to erase memories ..Yet. Old times there are not forgotten... ....Kind of like society telling you " I forbid you to enjoy that song"
Unfortunately, "they" have figured out how to erase memories. It's called fake news. aka fake history. It's taught all over the country, & on most major media outlets nowadays, to include social media. Most of it is ideologically driven, with a favoritism to a particular political leaning.

Certain views, & lots of absolute truths, are ignored or censored from the masses. Everything has become hyper political, & extremely biased. The days that most of us grew up with, being able to turn on the evening news, & get straight facts, or the real story, are long gone. The ignorance of most younger folks to actual history, & even current events is astounding.

Having said that, the song Dixie will never die, as long as the SCV, & re-enactors exist. I think the SCV will still be around in 50yrs. Not so sure about re-enacting. I intentionally didn't include the UDC as, they have given in to the PC police, & are really struggling with younger membership. I'm not convinced they will be around in 50 more years. Sad, as they once had a strong voice, & were paramount in establishing a lot of our monuments.

Look away, look away, looks away...... Dixie land. :dance:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)