How Dixie Went from Being a Pop Song to an Anthem

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
Fantastic piece, thanks for sharing Pat.

Really highlights the complexity surrounding so many elements of the legacy of the Civil War.

Plus, I agree with Tony Horwitz, 'Dixie' is a mighty catchy tune.
Yes, it is catchy if played fast and genuinely tragic if played slow.

Ole Miss

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Being a resident of Mississippi and an Ole Miss graduate, I am very familiar with the song Dixie and the controversy that now surrounds it. Yes The Pride of the South band performed the song at every game and social event to great cheers and requests for encores but the administration banned the performance of the song.

The South is amidst a great transitional period of culture where symbols, monuments, values and even the music is under review and often assault. It is a matter that must and will be settled by the residents of Dixie. I believe that we as a people and a nation will succeed and prosper where common decency and sense will prevail. Dei Gratia!
Regards
David

Polloco

Sergeant
Ole Miss just said "settled by the residents of the south". If that were only true. As long as mayors, city councils and committees decide for us, nothing will really be decided. Anything regarding the Souths heritage should be settled with a popular vote by the residents only.

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
I wish very much rancor did not enter into these discussions.

I remember " Dixie " as a kid, as a song when it wasn't divisive, just a song about another part of our country. It was haunting, fascinating, revealing and a little thrilling. Keep getting the impression ' The North ' is looked at like some looming, uncouth, intrusive and dim witted chunk of blue fog waiting the chance to choke the life from a neighbor. We also hear how we'll never understand that neighbor, how ' we ' think we know what the south is like and do not. Shoe's on the other foot. That song meant, to a ' Yankee ' little kid, things too large to put into 1st grade words. I can now. Please no one tell me what I thought or felt or understood because you do not know.

It meant a place not yet seen, a little discovered, one more childhood discovery about this limitless world you woke up to every day. Not making that up, it's what childhood was. Discovered this country, all of it ( although remember Hawaii seeming so far away it was tough to fathom ), being intrigued, excited and made round-eyed. For all the turmoil in the 60's it was still allowable to welcome each other, there remained a sense of community around this place. May have had a lot to do with our WW2 vets raising families, tired of war. So " Dixie " was more a delightful part of the mosaic we were given, " Look kid, this is all yours. You're an American. "

Belle Montgomery

Sergeant Major
Member of the Month
Funny how a song written for thousands can have personal meaning like it was written just for you.7
It's even funnier that the same who bemoan all things "Dixie" and shout "lost cause" everywhere at the same time are perfectly content to be enamored/obsessed by the British royals and especially Megan Markel's marriage into the family of the former attempted oppressors of America's independence and the divisiveness of the Revolutionary war! Which BTW...they lost!:bounce:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)