How could the CSA have won the Atlanta Campaign?

Sherman's favoritism towards the Army of the Tennessee kept that from happening. He wanted the Cumberland boys to do the heavy lifting while the Army of the Tennessee got the glory.
I've often thought McPherson's appointment to that command owed more to his relationship with Grant and Sherman than to merit. Nothing in the Atlanta Campaign has convinced me otherwise.

Sherman's favoritism towards the Army of the Tennessee kept that from happening. He wanted the Cumberland boys to do the heavy lifting while the Army of the Tennessee got the glory.
Yet another example of why the idea that Sherman and Grant "won" the war is pretty much ludicrous.

I agree. Thomas would have planned the attack meticulously before he moved.

My thinking was. If Thomas has of been given Command instead of Sherman, for the whole Parade.

Grant had confidence in Sherman. Had none in the Virginian, we all know that. However, it don’t mean that Thomas would not of been the best Tactical pick. Didn’t mean to get the Thread off topic.

I sat at a round table Discussion with Jim Ogden, David Powell and Lee White, a couple of years ago. Johnson was in Dalton for what 5 months. He made a few trips to ATL. Biggest attraction was the ATL Defenses. He could of spent that time studying terrain, and planning a strategy. No evidence that he did that.

Back