Restricted House to vote on removal of Roger B. Taney bust and other Confederate statues

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
From the article in the op:
"Arkansas is pulling its controversial statues for the country music legend Johnny Cash and civil rights leader Daisy Bates."

Wonder why this civil rights leader is considered "controversial"?
Those are the "non-controversial." The ones being pulled are "controversial."

I suppose they don't know about this...

"I won't ever stop loving you, my Dixie
'Til they put me in the ground
And the last words they probably hear from me
Are 'God bless Robert E. Lee' " -Johnny Cash

Ok, thanks. I misread it to mean Cash and Bates were the 2 controversial statues being pulled.

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
Excellent news. Busts & Statues of those who fought against the United States have no place in the seat of government of the Representatives and Senate of the United States. Those who strove to destroy the United States have no claim to honor in the place of the legislature of the United States. If rebels must be “honored” let them be honored somewhere else than the Capitol. As for Tanney, I think Justice Marshall a good replacement. If nothing else it will help to forward Jefferson’s notion that “all men are created equal” and put further lie to the Confederate credo (Cornerstone Speech) that Jefferson was wrong in this respect.

Last edited:

GwilymT

Sergeant Major

Lots of artists wrote lots of songs... one of my favorites is “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” by The Band. Canadians if you believe it. There’s a certain romance in the self serving victim hood engendered by the lyrics but the end result remains the same. What a great song.

Lots of artists wrote lots of songs... one of my favorites is “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” by The Band. Canadians if you believe it. There’s a certain romance in the self serving victim hood engendered by the lyrics but the end result remains the same. What a great song.
Romance of self serving victimhood is certainly popular.

infomanpa

2nd Lieutenant
Excellent news. Busts & Statues of those who fought against the United States have no place in the seat of government of the Representatives and Senate of the United States. Those who strove to destroy the United States have no claim to honor in the place of the legislature of the United States. If rebels must be “honored” let them be honored somewhere else than the Capitol. As for Tanney, I think Justice Marshall a good replacement. If nothing else it will help to forward Jefferson’s notion that “all men are created equal” and put further lie to the Confederate credo (Cornerstone Speech) that Jefferson was wrong in this respect.
Well said. I agree 100%

I know, the entire Lost Cause pro confederate perspective is built on it.
As are many more past and current events and ideology's. Which post 1900 and politics is generally prohibited.

But would think the exception for this forum allows limited examples. But from what I have seen the call of removal of some of the monuments in this thread isn't based on that they weren't great Americans historically, or that the nation did not benefit as a whole, but from a self serving victimhood of those groups calling for removals.

Last edited:

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
The whole thing is a joke. That was obvious when Virginia decided to replace Robert E Lee with Barbara Johns.

1984 Coming to life;

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

BuckeyeWarrior

Sergeant
Couldn’t agree more. Those who took up arms and attempted to break our country apart deserve no recognition in our seat of government. Should have never been allowed to be put there in the first place.

John Winn

Major
And Teddy Roosevelt is coming down in NYC - per final vote last week
While Teddy is actually my favorite president, I can see why the museum and city is removing this particular statue of him. It's of him on horseback with a Native and a black man under him (one on each side), rather blatantly symbolizing his racial views (which were that whites were superior). They have, though, renamed part of the museum (Natural History) for him and aren't bad-mouthing him in general. I can live with that one.

Last edited:

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Personally, I wouldn't vote to remove any of them. But, I won't lose any sleep over it. There are already too many monuments; too many statues.

There is, however, something profoundly illogical about honoring, in the United States Capitol, men who fought against the United States. Maybe Connecticut should propose a bust of native son B. Arnold as one of their representative trinkets.

Last edited:
The ignorant backwards idiots in the past thought these people were good enough to put in the building that was built for all
Americans - including the states/people that were readmitted after the CW- but our current society leaders are smarter now