Discussion House Museums Increasingly Telling the Story of the Slaves Who Labored at the Great Homes

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
From the article:

Increasingly, the people going on house tours are looking for more history and are trying to satisfy “a hunger” for history and truth, Ms. Browning-Mullis in Savannah and Ms. Northup in Charleston said.

A search for more factually accurate information about slavery and African-American history in Georgia is what led Jason Lumpkin, a pastor in Atlanta, to the Owens-Thomas House with his wife and two daughters in March. Mr. Lumpkin was surprised with how well the experiences of the enslaved were explained, and he appreciated that he did not have to specifically request information about black people as if it were supplementary.

“A few years ago, we did a tour where slavery was just glossed over and I had to ask about it to hear about it,” he said. “I don’t feel like that was the case at the Owens-Thomas House. They were intentional to talk about slavery and the issues associated with it and address them head on. I appreciated the fact that as bad as it was they were honest and in-depth.”

Mr. Lumpkin said that in addition to passing down stories about ancestors who were enslaved, he and his wife try to find different ways of teaching their daughters about their family history, and that history is incomplete without a discussion of slavery.

“I don’t trust the school system to tell them the true story of slavery,” Mr. Lumpkin said. “Knowing there are discrepancies out there in how that history is told, it’s even more important that as parents we be intentional in making sure our daughters understand and learn outside of school, and tours like this are a way to do it.”

luinrina

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I visited Berkeley Plantation today, and they're currently constructing slave cabins on the grounds. They're to open this summer. One looked pretty much ready to open its doors, the other one was still missing half a wall and the roof. If I remember the sign correctly, they want to show visitors how the slaves lived.

There was also a model in the little museum but I didn't have time to read the panels and it was too dark in the room to take a picture.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!