Restricted Hot Springs' Daughters of Confederacy put 'Battle Flag' up after taking it down in 2017

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
Unlike the CSA, and the CBF that goes with it, the US history shows that it ended slavery, and preserved the Union, that those who fought under the CBF for the CSA, tried to break up. The US was moving forward, the CSA was trying to keep the status quo.

It's not a perfect history, but we can thank God the CSA failed! That is why we have no need to flaunt a flag of failure.

Kevin Dally
Far from it.

CWdiaryPA

Private
You don't understand our mindset or our reasons, that much is clear. :smile:

I've said it many times, there's much more to the flag than the picture you paint here.
As a Yankee, and new to this site, I'm genuinely curious what the more is. I've never spoken to a pro-confederate flag person, ever, and what better place than here? Anyway, if you want to share why the flag is imp. to you. I hope this isn't hijacking the thread to ask. Thanks for your time. :hungry:

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
As a Yankee, and new to this site, I'm genuinely curious what the more is. I've never spoken to a pro-confederate flag person, ever, and what better place than here? Anyway, if you want to share why the flag is imp. to you. I hope this isn't hijacking the thread to ask. Thanks for your time. :hungry:

Growing up, to the extent that I even thought about it, what we knew as "the" Confederate flag was just shorthand for "the South" or "Southern Pride". I knew it came from the Civil War, but that's about all. Now when I see it, after three years of intense interest in the topic and a lot of reading and discussion, I'm aware of so much of the history, and I understand the racial component and how it's been used, but it still stands for pride in the South, honor, patriotism, courage and an independent spirit. All the traits that so many Confederate fighting men displayed, and that Southerners displayed in rebuilding the South after they lost.

Yes, there's an ugly side to all that history, but there's an ugly side to American history in general. It exists side by side with the higher and nobler things we've achieved. You have to take the good with the bad and decide if the sum total is worthy of your loyalty and admiration, in my opinion.

CWdiaryPA

Private
Growing up, to the extent that I even thought about it, what we knew as "the" Confederate flag was just shorthand for "the South" or "Southern Pride". I knew it came from the Civil War, but that's about all. Now when I see it, after three years of intense interest in the topic and a lot of reading and discussion, I'm aware of so much of the history, and I understand the racial component and how it's been used, but it still stands for pride in the South, honor, patriotism, courage and an independent spirit. All the traits that so many Confederate fighting men displayed, and that Southerners displayed in rebuilding the South after they lost.

Yes, there's an ugly side to all that history, but there's an ugly side to American history in general. It exists side by side with the higher and nobler things we've achieved. You have to take the good with the bad and decide if the sum total is worthy of your loyalty and admiration, in my opinion.
Thank you! Growing up in PA, I didn't know much, but if I had to name one pro, it was some kind of American spirit for independence. Like, a rebellious spirit, which I definitely appreciate as an American. Definitely though do hear you about an ugly side to our history in this country. I always wonder, on the rare occasions I see it displayed, what the flag owner thinks about why they display it. I don't ever ask, but I'm glad I did today. It's good to learn other perspectives! :smoke:

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
Thank you! Growing up in PA, I didn't know much, but if I had to name one pro, it was some kind of American spirit for independence. Like, a rebellious spirit, which I definitely appreciate as an American.

I definitely agree, the US flag and the Confederate flag have that in common, that "don't tell me what to do or how to think" independent spirit that Americans are rightly proud of.

Last edited:

Tin cup

Captain

Again I ask, why the need to fly it? If it's a bad bloody part of our past, we must learn not to emulate their fighting to gain illegal independence to perpetuate slavery forever. Why show it off as a symbol of THAT failure to uphold the United States and it's Constitution all the States were bound to?
Why show a foul cause your "loyalty and admiration" today?

Kevin Dally

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
Again I ask, why the need to fly it? If it's a bad bloody part of our past, we must learn not to emulate their fighting to gain illegal independence to perpetuate slavery forever. Why show it off as a symbol of THAT failure to uphold the United States and it's Constitution all the States were bound to?

Kevin Dally

You and I see the flag in completely opposite ways. It should be clear from what I posted why I would fly it.

Tin cup

Captain
You and I see the flag in completely opposite ways. It should be clear from what I posted why I would fly it.
I'm asking a question that everyone needs to ask. I asked it of myself years ago, and put the one I used to fly, away for good. Those flying the CBF will have their motives to do so, questioned.

Kevin Dally

CWdiaryPA

Private

Kevin Dally
Is it fair to ask, since the North did wrong by slavery as well, why we fly the stars & stripes at all? If our past is the qualifying factor, how clean the slate is? I really know next to nothing, why is why I'm posting in this thread. I mean, the North's hands aren't clean, either. I guess the Rebel flag has the far stronger association with slavery in the U.S. I am assuming the DON'T TREAD ON ME snake- serpent?- whatever, is also tied to the Confederacy? Is there another symbol of Southern heritage people can use that means strictly pride of place but isn't tied to the history of slavery south of the Mason-Dixon? All food for thought (from an admittedly ignorant Pennsylvanian, ha).

CWdiaryPA

Private
That's called the Gadsden flag, and it dates back to the Revolutionary War, when it was used as a flag for the embryonic Continental Navy.
Is the Gadsden flag associated with the Confederacy at all? I could google it, but thought I'd just ask. Thank you.

Stone in the wall

2nd Lieutenant
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Blue Ridge Mountains, Jefferson County WV
Not sure what you point exactly is, Delaware didn't illegally secede and fight to try to break up the Country for for slavery. Those folk who followed the CBF in battle...did!

Kevin Dally
Thanks for your reply. Other than fighting other different flags, tell me how was Delaware different in accepting free blacks or giving up their slaves than a southern state?