Hot Cider Toddy

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Here is an old recipe from my Granny's family.

Hot Cider Toddy

2/3 cup strained honey
7 cups cider
1 apple
whole cloves
1 orange
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
2 cups orange juice

Mix honey and 1 cup of cider well. Add rest of cider. Stud apple and orange with cloves. Add to the cider and heat. Add rind and juice and heat for about 2 minutes longer. Serve piping hot.

This is great for a brisk fall day or cold winter evening.

Oooh! Another one to try directly! I've still got lots of cider from the baked apples. :smile: Sounds so good! I would be like the Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time bear....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qdvpM6oAVFw/TP7fXai3_fI/AAAAAAAAAcg/bA4p_-q6Z4A/s1600/5DxC.jpg

It would make an interesting topic, about toddies and medicine. My paternal granddad, the CW vet from Kentucky, always had a hot toddy first thing in the morning. He'd make it with honey and whiskey - good whiskey at that! Then he'd go out to work. Never drank a drop otherwise. Just a short time ago I discovered the old planters in Georgia and South Carolina used to drink a toddy before going out in the fields as a preventative against malaria and other illnesses. Granddad's family was originally from South Carolina.

My Granny had that toddy like your granddad's, honey and whiskey. She said it was good when she had a cold. She was born, raised and died in Ky.

I think making a thread on toddies and medicine would be good topic. I have several old ones. I think it would be appropriate in the Food Forum as many were made by the women of the household.

Asked my dad how grandpa made his morning toddy. Dad said he was only a kid - he was 12 when his father died at 96 - but he thought it was squeezing half a lemon into a coffee cup, then adding two spoonfuls of honey, then about half a coffee cup of hot water. Stir, then add - he thought - a shot and a half of whiskey. He said his dad sometimes gave it to him for a cold or sore throat. (He didn't know if it really helped but he sure felt better! :confused:)

but he thought it was squeezing half a lemon into a coffee cup, then adding two spoonfuls of honey, then about half a coffee cup of hot water. Stir, then add - he thought - a shot and a half of whiskey.

I make mine almost the same way except I don't use lemon juice or honey and I skip the hot water and I use a glass instead of a cup.....with an ice-cube or two.

Oh yes! I thread on hot toddies would be excellent! I also remember getting a hot toddy when I was sick as a child! Honey, lemon, whisky. Always seemed to do the trick!

I remember as a child getting a hot cider toddy as a child for a sore throat but i'm sure there was no booze in it.very soothing on the throat.

My grandmother would toss a cap full of Stroh rum into tea with lemon when I had a really bad cold as a kid. My mom apparently was not privy to her remedy until more recently when I mentioned it to her :tongue:

Back