Hospitals in Cartersville Georgia

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
I was doing some research when I found the links below. I was searching for the soldiers that were moved from Cartersville to Cassville. They were part of the 1st Regiment Georgia State Line part of Galts and Company D. I had assumed that Samuel Hollingsworth Stout had the hospitals in the area but it looks like the Georgia State Line maintained hospitals in Cartersville and Jonesboro.

https://vault.georgiaarchives.org/digital/collection/cmr/id/4072/rec/1350

https://vault.georgiaarchives.org/digital/collection/cmr/id/4071/rec/1350

https://vault.georgiaarchives.org/digital/collection/cmr/id/4075/rec/1351

soldiersmoved.png
sumter.png

TR.jpg

Lena Williford listed in the first article you posted as one of the women who collected and contributed money for the removal of the remains to Cassville. Do you think that is a misspelling of Lena Wofford, the daughter of my favorite general?

Lena Williford listed in the first article you posted as one of the women who collected and contributed money for the removal of the remains to Cassville. Do you think that is a misspelling of Lena Wofford, the daughter of my favorite general?
I believe there are several misspelling in the article. Notice T F Gouldmsith is Theodore F Goldsmith. a member of the first unit formed in 1859 the Etowah Guard.
gouldsmith.png

i also believe James B Conyers may be Cunyus but that's why I am researching to confirm. I am almost tempted to buy a subscription to Fold3. I have Hughs name as part of the 63rd Georgia
hill.png

But there is a lot of storied about what happened to Hugh. One claim is he died t Kennesaw Mountain. Another claim was Joshua Hill claimed his body after the battle near Lithonia. I believe he die not die in battle but of disease in but I need proof by looking at his record. Note Joshua Hill had 2 sons die.

In 1864, Hill was elected mayor of Madison, Georgia.[1] During the later stages of the Civil War, Hill lost his only son during the Atlanta Campaign in fighting near Lithonia, Georgia. When Hill went to retrieve his son's body, he stopped to speak with General William Tecumseh Sherman, with a request that Union troops under Sherman's command not burn the town of Madison which was on the path of Sherman's March to the Sea.[1] While Sherman agreed, the portion of his troops passing through Madison were under the command of subordinate General Henry Warner Slocum. When General Slocum approached Madison, Joshua Hill went out to meet him. General Slocum honored the agreement previously struck with General Sherman, and only burned the cotton gin, the railroad station, and anything that contributed to the war effort, but not houses.[1] Wikipedia

The following reference and info. sent to me by Robert Daniell

<rdaniell(a)surfbest.net&gt;, Oct 2003:

Joshua HILL family information from the Historical Collection of the Georgia D.A.R.,

Volume 4, page 246-7, records from a Bible in the possession of Mrs. James Harold

NICHOLSON, Atlanta, Ga.

"William HILL, Sr., was a member of the Provincial Congress which met at

Hillsboro, N. C. He, and his son, Joshua Hill, Sr., were Revolutionary soldiers. Joshua

HILL, Jr., was in the House of Representatives in 1861, and was United States Senator from

Ga. in 1868. Hugh Legear HILL, son of Joshua HILL, Jr., was a Confederate volunteer and

was killed in the battle of Resaca above Rome, Ga., and Clarence HILL, his brother, a

member of Company D, Ga. Reg. and on the Staff of Gen. A. R. WRIGHT."

https://lists.rootsweb.com/hyperkitty/list/hill.rootsweb.com/thread/1200264/

"Congressman Joshua HILL, Jr. (1812-1891) of Madison, GA, brother of the Hulda HILL who married that John DANIEL, was an avid opponent of the South's entering the CW and was good friends with SHERMAN's step-brother, John, also then a congressman from Ohio, as I remember. HILL also did not serve in a CSA unit, either, deciding to stay at home in Madison throughout the war, although I know his son [Hugh Legare HILL] served and was killed at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, GA in 1864." (John R. Clarke, http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/DANIEL/2003-10/1066044473)

Family Search

Hugh Hill

United States Census, 1860

Name:

Hugh Hill

Event Type:

Census

Event Date:

Event Place:

Town District, Morgan, Georgia, United States

Event Place (Original):

Town Dist, Morgan, Georgia, United States

Male

Race:

White

Birth Year (Estimated):

Birthplace:

Georgia

Page:

Record Number:

Household Role Sex Age Birthplace

Joshua Hill Male 48 South Ca

Emily Hill Female 40 Georgia

Anna Hill Female 20 Georgia

Clarance Hill Male 17 Georgia

Hugh Hill Male 14 Georgia

Walter Hill Male 11 Georgia

John Hill Male 9 Georgia

Louise Hill Female 7 Georgia

Julia Hill Female 5 Georgia

Isabelle Hill Female 3 Georgia

Attached to:

Hugh S. Hill

1845–Deceased • KZNV-NVH

Image of Hugh Hill in household of Joshua Hill, United States Census, 186

...the Sixty-third was neatly nearly surrounded by the enemy. The regiment was skillfully extracted from its perilous position by Lieutenant Colonel Black and the acting adjutant, Lieut. George W. McLaughlin, of Company A (the Oglethorpe's of Augusta) and marched in order to the position assigned it in the line of battle. Among the killed was Legate Hill, son of Hon. Joshua Hill, of Madison, GA. Two of his comrades took up the lifeless body, conveyed it to a little abandoned cottage, pinned his name upon his jacket and left him there. Although this was done in full view of the Federal skirmishers, not a shot was fired at the two men until they rejoined their comrades. The Federals coming up, took the body of young Hill, buried it, and marked the grave by a headboard on which they cut the name which they found pinned to his jacket.

Copied from Confederate Military History - GEORGIA Volume VI page 308.

Fold 3 will reveal whom Alford Long was from Texas. I am sure he is in a record of men who died at Cartersville. i have been searching fro Cassville hospitals without looking at Cartersville.

The only Alford or Alfred Long in TX unit is the Corporal you mentioned as A/14th TX. Unfortunately, I dont think that is our man. Carded records for Corp Alfred Long A/14th TX show he was 18 years old in 1862; slightly wounded in the foot at Murfreesboro December 31, 1862. Hospitalized at USA Hospital No 1 at Chattanooga for "GS Wound rt side, fract. 6 rib" and ret'd to duty July 12, 1865.
1584895902986.png
1584895867132.png
1584895824161.png

The only Alford or Alfred Long in TX unit is the Corporal you mentioned as A/14th TX. Unfortunately, I dont think that is our man. Carded records for Corp Alfred Long A/14th TX show he was 18 years old in 1862; slightly wounded in the foot at Murfreesboro December 31, 1862. Hospitalized at USA Hospital No 1 at Chattanooga for "GS Wound rt side, fract. 6 rib" and ret'd to duty July 12, 1865.
View attachment 351891View attachment 351890View attachment 351889
Thank you. Could you look at the other 3 soldiers and Hugh Legare Hill?

Back