Hospital boat the Henry Von Phul

M

MerrileeG

Please, I am a total novice where Civil War information is concerned. My great-great uncle Gideon Stump is shown in his military service record as dying aboard "the Hospital Boat H Von Phull". I since have seen a reference to the ship being a merchant ship disabled by Confederate shore battery 8 December 1863, when the USS Neosho came to its defense. My uncle died aboard the Henry Von Phul January 26, 1863, from wounds received in the battle of Arkansas Post (Fort Hindman). Does anyone have more information about this incident? I would like to discover where my uncle Gideon is buried, and I am hoping that learning more of the story will help me to discover his burial site. The National Archives in Washington DC did an extensive search of all available data bases and was unable to determine burial information for Gideon Stump. He was only 19 years old when he died, a farm boy from Missouri caught up in an enormous battle. Any information on this would be much appreciated.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
Although the most famous hospital boat on the rivers was the USS Red Rover, most hospital boats were operated by the Army-- typically civilian merchant boats under contract to the Quartermaster Department.

That said, the source that I consulted (Gibson and Gibson's Dictionary of Transports and Combatant Vessels, Steam and Sail, Employed by the Union Army 1861-1868) states that the Henry Von Phul was used first as a troop transport and ordnance boat, and later used as a station boat and headquarters for an Army quartermaster. Although her tonnage is unknown, these would tend to lead me to believe that she was at least a largish boat.

My guess is that she was only temporarily fitted up as a hospital boat in the aftermath of Arkansas Post, or something of that nature.

Although the most famous hospital boat on the rivers was the USS Red Rover, most hospital boats were operated by the Army-- typically civilian merchant boats under contract to the Quartermaster Department.

That said, the source that I consulted (Gibson and Gibson's Dictionary of Transports and Combatant Vessels, Steam and Sail, Employed by the Union Army 1861-1868) states that the Henry Von Phul was used first as a troop transport and ordnance boat, and later used as a station boat and headquarters for an Army quartermaster. Although her tonnage is unknown, these would tend to lead me to believe that she was at least a largish boat.

My guess is that she was only temporarily fitted up as a hospital boat in the aftermath of Arkansas Post, or something of that nature.
Thank you; I think that is correct that the Henry Von Phul was pressed into service in the war effort. I'm just hoping someone might know where it actually was at the end of January 1863--I imagine somewhere near Chickasaw Pass and/or Arkansas Post. Appreciate your interest!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)