Hoop-la, or the tale of two hoops.

Mrs. V

First Sergeant
I really want a 6 bone hoop petticoat/walking cage. My last dress that I made should be “rounder” and I am hoping more hoop will take up length...I have a 4, and a friend gave me her 4 bone hoop..it is too long for me..I am wondering if it would be cost effective to combine the two skirts..take em apart, sew new channels..I’d use ribbon or bias tape...or should I just go ahead and spend the money for a 6 bone hoop?? Cost of a new hoop would be in the realm of 70 bucks..I’m even thinking I could take the hoops out of the petticoat and do a walking cage..Thoughts?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Sorry, no idea Mrs. V but I hope someone will be along to provide some insight. Renovating existing hoops seems like more than I'd personally want to tackle -- but alas I am no seamstress. Sewing a button back on is about the extent of my sewing abilities. :D

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Wish I could be helpful, too. Anyone who can sew has all my respect, for real. That machine starts chattering, throwing thread all over the place while the needle gets closer and closer- it's unnerving. Like Lelliot, I can do buttons although wouldn't trust it.

For what it's worth, sounds like the kind of thing we read women did 150 years ago? They sure became creative when supplies were limited.

Seduzal

Brigadier General
Sorry, no idea Mrs. V but I hope someone will be along to provide some insight. Renovating existing hoops seems like more than I'd personally want to tackle -- but alas I am no seamstress. Sewing a button back on is about the extent of my sewing abilities. :D
My Sewing is also limited to a button and sewing up the holes in my socks!
Thanks for sharing this interesting article. @Mrs. V