Golden Thread Hood's Texas Brigade

Here's some more info on the Jefferson, TX, Star Rifles photograph, along with a couple other members of the Star Rifles in uniform. @Drew you might be interested in seeing this.

Star Rifles, 1st Texas Infantry.jpg

Star Rifles, Co. D, 1st Texas Inf. Standing L-R: Lt. Cornelius R. Curtright, Absalom Carter "A.C." Oliver, Henry P. Oliver; Seated L-R: John A. Oliver, William H. Oliver, Francis Thomas "Frank" Oliver.

From the Co. D roster:

CARTRIGHT, C. R. 3Lt. - Not re-elect. when Co. re-org., May 16, 1862: Resgnd.

OLIVER, A. C. 1Lt. - Orig. Pvt. in Co.: Elect., 2Lt.: Elect., 1Lt.: W., White Oak Swamp (Aug.16, 1864): Paroled, Appomattox (Apr. 12, 1865).

OLIVER, H. B. - Died of pneumonia, Fredericksburg, Va. Hosp., Feb. 28, 1862.

OLIVER, JOHN A. - Died of pneumonia, Fredericksburg, Va. Hosp., April 1, 1862.

OLIVER, WM. H. - W., Chickamauga (Sept. 20, 1863): Died of wound, Sept.26, 1863.

OLIVER, F. T. - W., Chaffin's Farm (Sept. 29, 1864): Paroled, Appomattox (Apr.12, 1865).

19674_227161173793_3858839_n.jpg

Pvt John Beverly Henderson, Co D Star Rifles, 1st Texas Inf

HENDERSON, JOHN B. 3Cpl. - Eni., May 27, 1861, at Linden, Tex.: Fought at Gaines' Mill (June 27, 1862), no record after that.

19674_227161158793_1043388_n.jpg

Jacob Durrum Star Rifles Co D 1st Texas Infantry KIA 22 SEP 1863 Chickamauga

This must be him on the Co. D roster:
DURHAM, JAKE J. - Sick in Richmond Hosp., Sept., 1862: W., Chickamauga (Sept. 19, 1863): Died from wound, Sept. 22, 1863.

Last edited:
According to Col. Simpson's article on East Texas companies in the brigade in the East Texas Historical Journal (Here), Company D "Star Rifles" of the 1st Texas mentioned in the above post mustered an initial strength of 116, a total strength of 137, and throughout the war lost 24 killed (24.1%), 8 dying from other causes, 47 wounded (57%), and 7 missing. 14 men deserted.

Company A "Marion Rifles" of the 1st Texas was the only other company from Marion County in the Texas Brigade. Out of an initial strength of 100 and a total strength of 134, they lost 29 killed (26%), 6 dying from other causes, 43 wounded (58%), and 6 missing. Only 4 men deserted.

The 1st Texas contained ten companies (out of their 12) from East Texas while the 4th and 5th Texas had two each.

Marion County is in what is known as the Piney Woods region of East Texas, just along the Louisiana border. The landscape of the region is mainly heavily timbered with gently rolling terrain, intersected by several rivers like the Sabine, as well as creeks and bayous - terrain very similar to north Louisiana. It was (and still is) mainly rural land, though was largely settled by slave-owning planters from the Deep South and the plantation economy was very prosperous. The volunteers from the Piney Woods region tended to come from more affluent backgrounds, however it was still "backwoods" compared to some places east of the Mississippi.

Company E "Marshall Guards" of the 1st Texas came from neighboring Harrison County, though it was also made up of a small company from Navarro County, "the Corsicana Invincibles".

Last edited:
The Corsicana Invincibles were an interesting group. Originally destined to be in the 4th, they refused to wait in Texas while the unit was being formed and went independently to Virginia and became part of the 1st.

Reactions: AUG
I posted this info on the 5th Texas's colors and color bearers at Second Manassas in another thread, but I thought it would also be a good addition here.

5th Texas.jpg

The 5th Texas Infantry's first battle flag, manufactured by local contractor in Richmond shortly after the regiment was organized in Sept. 1861. It was carried by the regiment until after Sharpsburg when it was sent back home for display at the state capitol. It then passed into the care of a veteran after the war. By 1910 the flag was in the custody of the Hood’s Texas Brigade Association, and by 1920 was in the custody of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission where it remains today.

5th Texas.jpg

This painting by Don Troiani depicts the 5th Texas Infantry at Second Manassas, just as they run out of the tree line and engage the 5th New York "Duryee Zouaves" on the open hill top. At center is Lt. Col. John C. Upton, who grabbed the colors and shouted, "Come on, boys, follow me" when he was suddenly shot through the head by a bullet or shell fragment and killed, falling into the arms of his adjutant, Lt. Campbell Wood.

The Federal troops on the run in the background and the wounded soldier hugging the tree are from the 10th New York "National Zouaves" which had six companies deployed as skirmishers ahead of the 5th New York, the other four taking position on the 5th New York's left. The Texas Brigade quickly drove them out of the way.

Its a magnificent painting, however the depiction of the 5th Texas's other flag - the Mrs. Maude Young flag - is incorrect, it not being used until the Lone Star flag was retired.

Before the 5th Texas went into battle that day Capt. John S. Cleveland of Company H pointed to the colors and told the regiment to "Cling to it, boys, as you would to your sweethearts." After Upton fell, Color Sgt. W. V. Royston was wounded and the flag passed through the hands of eight others in the fighting on Chinn Ridge. 15-year-old Pvt. James K. P. Harris was the seventh to take up the flag, carrying the colors 50 yards in advance of the regiment and cheering them on when he was shot. His last words were, "I am shot through but I shall carry this flag until I die." Sgt. F. C. Hume then took up the flag. After Hume fell wounded he handed it to Capt. King Bryan of Company F, who then passed them to Pvt. W. G. Farthing. Farthing survived the battle with colors in hand. The flag was pierced 28 times and the staff shot in two placed during the battle.

A member of Co. A, 5th Texas, Robert Campbell left an excellent account of the battle in his memoirs. His entire account is too long to post here, but here's his telling of the run-in with the New York Zouaves:

It was now about 3 P.M. and the fireing on our left under Jackson was becoming very heavy. At 4 P.M. Genl. Hood rode up in a gallop in front of the Brigade — and Maj. Sellers, his Aadj galloped down the "Texas picket" line. In a few moments the cry was borne upon the breeze by the martial voice of old Hood "Attention Texas Brigade" "forward" "March" — and the yell was raised and off we dashed. Co "A" joined the skirmishers as they came up. On we moved — treading over the same ground taken the previous day. Men were never more frenzied in their passions as our boys were. We reached the woods in which the Yankee pickets were stationed, and as we came near upon them they gave us a volley —and then dashing down their guns and all encumberances, made for their rear at first class speed.
We followed closely upon their heels; and after passing through the woods for a few hundred yards, we were halted by the magnificent and fierce array of a Yankee line of battle — composed of the New York Zouaves — from New York. The battle was now rageing from right to left. We halted but it was but for a moment. Our skirmishers were ordered to their regiments. Hood — Upton and our gallant leaders were at their posts. The Zouaves were at a charge bayonet — and when we were in 20 paces of them they fired upon us. The Yankee batteries too, were freely complimenting us. As they fired, our gallant, brave, generous and noble Upton — fell mortally wounded — from a Yankee shell. Sleep thou brave. No high flown compliment from this pen of mine can add to your fame, for it lives in the love and admiration of those who so oft had followed you upon the plain of carnage — and so long as one of the "Old Fifth" shall live — Upton will not be forgotten.
As soon as the Zouaves fired upon us, Genl. Hood gave the order — "Fix bayonets" — and the rattle of steel rang down the lines. "Fire" "Charge" came in quick succession — the smoke of our guns had hardly rose from the pieces, when at the command "charge," we made for the Zouaves. As we rushed upon the Zouaves — with their blue jackets, red legged pants and yellow caps — they gave way, unable to stand the sharp pointed instruments with which we greeted them.
Now came a scene of which my feeble pen cannot portray — a scene though mid the dangers and carnage of the battlefield — was yet beautiful to the observer. The ground on which the Zouaves stood, as I said before, was at the edge of the woods —from which woods began the great and beautiful plains of "Manassas!" The ground from where the Zouaves were drawn up in line of battle began to slope gradually — for the distance of 300 yds. at which distance a clear and pebbly bottomed branch ran at the base of the slope. Passed this stream, the ground began to rise, breaking itself up into hills and valleys.
As soon as the panic struck the Zouaves they threw down their guns — and in groups of 5 & 6 —to 10 — broke for this branch — and I speak candidly when I say, that before they had reached this branch — we had brought to the ground, half their number — and in crossing this branch — so much confusion attended their crossing that we made the branch run blood —and after crossing the branch we continued to bring them to the ground until from their own confusion. [. . .] Nor is this wonderful — for as soon as we had got them started — we followed right upon their heels — and would shoot into a crowd at the distance of ten paces.
I remember one incident of this scene — as I was running along and loading my rifle — a Lieutenant of the "Hampton Legion," slaped me upon the shoulder in a very excited manner exclaiming "Yonder Texas — goes a beautiful crowd — shoot — bring one the dam devils down — shoot quick" — and as I fired, he gave a yell — hardly had the sound of his voice died out before he fell — "shot in the leg." "Give me a string, a rag —a hankerchief quick, for Gods sake quick." One of the boys handed him the desired article, and hastily seizing it, he hurriedly bound it around his leg above the wound — and jumped up — waveing his sword — he moved forward at a limp — yelling at every step. It must not be thought that our victory over the Zouaves was bloodless to us — for several batteries of artillery were plying their missions into us — besides the fire of a heavy line of Yankee Infantry beyond the branch. Many a brave and noble Texan fell — our work was but begun.
(Lone Star Confederate: A Gallant and Good Soldier of the Fifth Texas Infantry ed. by George Skoch and Mark W. Perkins, p. 73-75)​

Last edited:
Very interesting posts. The story was very well written and descriptive of Lee’s stranglehold on the Federals at the onset of the war.

Found that From Tyler to Sharpsburg: The War Letters of Robert H. and William H. Gaston, Company H, First Texas Infantry Regiment, Hood's Texas Brigade can be read online here: http://rootseekers.org/?page_id=9062

At only about 21 years old, William was elected captain of the company, the "Texas Guards," in 1861 and was known as the "boy captain." William survived the war but brother Robert was killed in the Cornfield at Antietam. Lt. William E. Barry of Co. G, 4th Texas, later said that he believed Robert Gaston was found lying dead on top of the 1st Texas's colors, surrounded by a dozen other dead Texans. He was reportedly given a separate burial by the Federal soldiers that found him in honor of his bravery. William didn't hear of his brother's fate until months after the battle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a good place to post this. I was in Galveston today on business. When I drove by the old cemetery on Broadway,the flowers were in bloom there and I couldn't resist a quick stop. Walked up on this looking for another gravesite. Didn't know it was there beforehand. Only had my cellphone camera and had to crop the pic a bit but it made my day.

IMG_20180501_141711428_HDR.jpg

Seems like a good place to post this. I was in Galveston today on business. When I drove by the old cemetery on Broadway,the flowers were in bloom there and I couldn't resist a quick stop. Walked up on this looking for another gravesite. Didn't know it was there beforehand. Only had my cellphone camera and had to crop the pic a bit but it made my day.

View attachment 186511
Beautiful photo, thanks for sharing!

From the Texas Brigade Headquarters Roster:

STEWART, W. H.
Orig. Pvt., Co. A, 4th Tex. Inf. Regt.: Appointed Regimental Quartermaster Sgt., 4th Tex. Inf., Oct. 1, 1861: Appointed Brigade Commissary Officer, Nov. 18, 1861: Resigned, Nov. 20, 1862.

Today, May 6, is the anniversary of the second day of the battle of the Wilderness, when Longstreet's Corps marched to the field in time to save A.P. Hill's broken troops and stem the Federal advance down the Orange Plank Road. The Texas Brigade was at the head of the column and among the first of Longstreet's troops thrown into action.

Most know the story of the "Lee to the rear" incident - when Gen. Lee personally attempted to lead the Texans into battle but was turned back by the troops for his own safety - but after Lee was saved, only some 800 men charged into a force at least several times their number; it was comparable to the 1st Minnesota's charge at Gettysburg. In about 25 minutes of fighting the Texas Brigade lost an estimated 565 men out of the 800+ engaged, but they held up Hancock's advance long enough for the rest of Longstreet's Corps to deploy and ultimately drive the Federals back.

Here are some photos of the battlefield from my visit a few years ago. Below is the Widow Tapp Field from the position of Poague's artillery battalion; the Texans formed behind the guns and charged across this ground to the tree line on the opposite side. This was where Gen. Lee first rode up and inquired what troops they were.
Wilderness 4.jpg

Half way across the field. After they marched through the guns Gen. Lee followed the brigade in their advance until he was discovered by the men and urged to go back.
Wilderness 3.jpg

"Lee to the rear" marker and Texas state monument. Both are near the spot alongside the Orange Plank Road where the Texas Brigade's dead were originally buried following the battle (later reentered in Fredericksburg's Confederate Cemetery). The marker was placed in 1903 and the monument erected in 1964.
Wilderness 2.jpg

Wilderness 1.jpg

Don Troiani's take on the "Lee to the rear" incident.
Wallcate_com - Don Troiani-Paintings (78).jpg

Robert Campbell, courier on Gen. John Gregg's staff, later wrote:

With yell after yell we moved forward, passed the brow of the hill, and moved down the declivity towards the undergrowth—a distance in all not exceeding 200 yards. After moving over half the ground we saw that Gen. Lee was following us into battle—care and anxiety upon his countenance—refusing to come back at the request and advice of his staff. If I recall correctly, the brigade halted when they discovered Gen. Lee's intention, and all eyes turned upon him. Five and six of his staff would gather around him, seize him, his arms, his horse's reins, but he shook them off and moved forward. Thus did he continue just before we reached the undergrowth, not, however, until the balls began to fill and whistle threw the air. Seeing that we would do all that men could do to retrieve the misfortune of the hour, accepting the advice of his staff, and hearkening to the protest of his advancing soldiers, he at last turned round and rode back to a position on the hill.

We reached the undergrowth—entered it with a yell, and in less than 100 yards came face to face with the advancing, triumphant, and sanguine foe—confronted only by a few brave souls who could only fire and yield their ground. The enemy were at least five or six to one of us, and death seemed to be our portion. With only 15 or 20 paces separating us, the contest waxed hotter and deadlier. We gave a cheer and tried a charge, but with our handful of men our only success was to rush up to them, shoot them down, and shove them back some 10 to 15 yards. For 25 minutes we held them steady—not a foot did they advance, and at the expiration of that time more than half of our brave fellows lay around us dead, dying and wounded, and the few survivors could stand it no longer. By order of Gen. Gregg, whose manly form was seen wherever danger gloried most—I bore the order to the 5th and 1st Texas
[probably the 4th], to fall back in order.
("Texans always move them." by Robert Campbell in The Land We Love, 1868, Vol. 5)

WILDERNESS_May6.jpg

This is a good map from John M. Priest's Victory Without Triumph. The 4th and 5th Texas did charge across to the southeastern side of the road but took heavy enfilading fire from the left flank; the 1st Texas and 3rd Arkansas were left to contend on the north side. They also faced Berdan's 2nd U.S. Sharpshooters, armed with breach-loading Sharps rifles. Kershaw's old South Carolina Brigade (under Col. John W. Henagan) was engaged on the opposite side of the road.
Texas Brigade, Wilderness 2.jpg

An unidentified member of the 4th Texas recalled:

The enemy skirmishers discovered our approach before we had gone a hundred yards, and opened a fire on us that killed or wounded many of our best and bravest before they had fired a shot. Three hundred yards further, the leaden hail poured upon us by the skirmishers began to thin our ranks greatly, and five hundred yards from our starting point, we were confronted by a line of battle. This could not withstand our assault, and so fled in confusion. Across the Plank Road was another line, and against it we moved rapidly. The storm of battle was now terrific. Our brigade was alone, no support on our right, none on the left, and an enfilading and terrible fire from the left.

The Plank Road ran diagonally across our line of advance, and down the road came the fire of a dozen cannon. But across it we went, and drove the enemy back behind their breastworks, to within a hundred yards of which we advanced. Then it was discovered that a column of the enemy was coming at a double-quick down the Plank Road, with the evident intention of cutting us off, and General Gregg gave the order to withdraw. But the object of our attack was accomplished, General Lee's faith in the Texas Brigade justified. The ground from which two Confederate divisions had been driven, had been recaptured, but at a terrible sacrifice, for one-half of our men were killed and wounded. Of the 207 men of the Fourth Texas that went into the action, 30 were killed or mortally wounded, and 100 wounded more or less seriously. I do not know the extent of the losses in either of the other regiments, but they were likely as great in the Fifth Texas as in the Fourth, both of which regiments crossed the Plank Road.

The First Texas and Third Arkansas, however, although advancing and keeping in line with the Fourth and Fifth Texas, did not get to the Plank Road, but fought to the left of it. The Fourth and Fifth Texas, the only regiments in danger of being cut off, fell back hurriedly, but not in confusion, and the brigade was soon in line, a couple of hundred yards in front of the battery near which General Lee came to us. . . .

The bodies of our Texas boys, brave fellows all, who had fallen, had been gathered together and buried under a large tree by the side of the Plank Road. Although one large opening in the earth received them, at the head of each was placed a board with his name rudely carved on it, while nailed to a tree nearer the road was another board on which were carved the simple but eloquent words, "Texas Dead."

(Hood's Texas Brigade: Its Marches, Its Battles, Its Achievements by J. B. Polley, pp. 231-34)

Companies of the Texas Brigade. Company rosters are linked in blue.

1st Texas Infantry

Company A - Marion Rifles (Marion County) Roster
Company B - Livingston Guards (Polk County) Roster
Company C - Palmer Guards (Harris County) Roster
Company D -Star Rifles (Marion County) Roster
Company E - Marshall Guards (Harrison County) Roster
Company F - Woodville Rifles (Tyler County) Roster
Company G - Reagan Guards (Anderson County) Roster
Company H - Texas Guards (Anderson County) Roster
Company I - Crockett Southrons (Houston County) Roster
Company K - Texas Invincibles (San Augustine County) Roster
Company L - Lone Star Rifles (Galveston County) Roster
Company M - Sumter Light Infantry (Trinity County) Roster
Field & Staff Roster

4th Texas Infantry
Company A - Hardeman Rifles (Goliad County) Roster
Company B - Tom Green Rifles (Travis County) Roster
(Also see Val C. Giles' Roster of Co. B)
Company C - Robertson Five Shooters (Robertson County) Roster
Company D - Guadalupe Rangers/Knights of Guadalupe County (Guadalupe County) Roster
Company E - Lone Star Guards (McLennan County) Roster
(See history of Co. E, Gaines Mill to Appomattox by Col. Harold B. Simpson)
Company F - Mustang Grays (Bexar County) Roster
Company G - Grimes County Greys (Grimes County) Roster
Company H - Porter Guards (Walker County) Roster
Company I - Navarro Rifles (Navarro County) Roster
Company K - Sandy Point Mounted Rifles (Henderson County) Roster
Field & Staff Roster

5th Texas Infantry
Company A - Bayou City Guards (Harris County) Roster
Company B - No company name, sometimes called "Echoe Company" (Colorado County) Roster
Company C - Leon Hunters (Leon County) Roster
Company D - Waverly Confederates (Waverly, Walker, and Montgomery Counties) Roster
Company E - Dixie Blues (Washington County) Roster
Company F - Company Invincibles (Washington, Jefferson, and Liberty Counties) Roster
Company G - Milam County Greys (Milam County) Roster
Company H - Texas Polk Rifles (Polk, Trinity, and Walker Counties) Roster
Company I - Texas Aides (Washington County) Roster
Company K - Polk County Flying Artillery (Polk & Liberty Counties) Roster
Field & Staff Roster

18th Georgia Infantry
Company A - Acworth Rifles (Cobb County) Roster
Company B - Newton Rifles (Newton County) Roster
Company C - Jackson County Volunteers (Jackson County Volunteers) Roster
Company D - Davis Invincibles (Bartow County) Roster
Company E - Stephens Infantry (Gordon County) Roster
Company F - Davis Guards (Bartow County) Roster
Company G - Lewis Volunteers (Bartow County) Roster
Company H - Rowland Highlanders (Bartow County) Roster
Company I - Dooley Light Infantry (Dooly County) Roster
Company K - Rowland Infantry (Bartow County) Roster
Field & Staff Roster

Hampton's South Carolina Legion - Infantry Battalion
Company A - Washington Light Infantry Volunteers (Charleston District)
Company B - Watson Guards (Edgefield District)
Company C - Manning Guards (Clarendon District)
Company D - Gist Rifles (Anderson District)
Company E - Bozeman Guards (Greenville District)
Company F - Davis Guards (Anderson & Greenville Districts)
Company G - Claremont Rifles (Sumter District)
Company H - South Carolina Zouave Volunteers (Orangeburg & Charleston Districts)

3rd Arkansas Infantry
Company A - Arkansas Travelers (Ashley County) Roster
Company B - Berlin Beauregards (Ashley County) Roster
Company C - Confederate Stars (Drew County) Roster
Company D - Selma Rifles (Drew County) Roster
Company E - Champagnolle Guards (Union County) Roster
Company F - Hot Spring Hornets (Hot Springs County) Roster
Company G - Three Creeks Rifles (Union County) Roster
Company H - The Orphan Company (Drew County plus 31 men from Kentucky) Roster
Company I - Tulip Rifles (Dallas County) Roster
Company K - Ashley Volunteers (Ashley County) Roster
Company L - Rust Guards (Ashley County) Roster
Field & Staff Roster
Band Roster

Assignments:

April - July 1862: G. W. Smith's/Whiting's Division, Army of Northern Virginia

August 1862-1863: Hood's Division, Longstreet's First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

September 1863 - April 1864: Hood's Division, Longstreet's First Corps, Army of Tennessee/Department of East Tennessee

April 1864-1865: Field's Division, Longstreet's First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

How could I go about finding more info on these 2 men? Like day and place of birth and any more info on them?? (Newbie here!)

Attachments

• 20180430_195336.jpeg
    20180430_195336.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 20180430_195637.jpeg
    20180430_195637.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 138
How could I go about finding more info on these 2 men? Like day and place of birth and any more info on them?? (Newbie here!)
Welcome!

COTTON, RICH. W. 3Lt. - Elect. Capt.: W., Antietam (Sept. 17, 1862): Died of wound, Sept. 31, 1862.

BOYD, HENRY W. 3Lt. - Orig. Pvt. in Co.: Prom., 4Sgt., Dec. 1, 1861: Reduced to ranks by Col. J. B. Robertson, June 25, 1862: Elect., 3Lt., Aug. 4, 1862: Killed, Antietam (Sept.17, 1862).

I did find an image and some more info on Lt. Boyd in Confederate Veteran Vol. 4: https://archive.org/stream/confederateveter04conf#page/314/mode/2up

Lt. Henry W. Boyd 1.jpg

Lt. Henry W. Boyd 2.jpg

Pvt. Nicholas Pomeroy of Co. A, 5th Texas, in his account of Antietam says that while retreating from the battlefield he picked up and rescued Lt. Boyd, wounded through the leg, and carried him off the battlefield; though he says Boyd later died after amputation of his leg. Pomeroy's memoirs are unpublished but his account of the battle is included in the book Texans at Antietam.

I can't but there are many other members here who can look up their records and perhaps find some more information.

Welcome!

COTTON, RICH. W. 3Lt. - Elect. Capt.: W., Antietam (Sept. 17, 1862): Died of wound, Sept. 31, 1862.

BOYD, HENRY W. 3Lt. - Orig. Pvt. in Co.: Prom., 4Sgt., Dec. 1, 1861: Reduced to ranks by Col. J. B. Robertson, June 25, 1862: Elect., 3Lt., Aug. 4, 1862: Killed, Antietam (Sept.17, 1862).

I did find an image and some more info on Lt. Boyd in Confederate Veteran Vol. 4: https://archive.org/stream/confederateveter04conf#page/314/mode/2up

View attachment 187255
View attachment 187264

Pvt. Nicholas Pomeroy of Co. A, 5th Texas, in his account of Antietam says that while retreating from the battlefield he picked up and rescued Lt. Boyd, wounded through the leg, and carried him off the battlefield; though he says Boyd later died after amputation of his leg. Pomeroy's memoirs are unpublished but his account of the battle is included in the book Texans at Antietam.

I can't but there are many other members here who can look up their records and perhaps find some more information.

Wholly cow! This was great! More than expected! Thank you so much! I had looked at the muster rolls but had a hard time finding others. How can people look up more info on them?

On these 3 headstones that I am trying to get info on, this final one I have been unable to even find him on the Muster rolls. Best I can make out is. G.W Hoffler I 1st Texas. What's your thoughts?

Attachments

• 20180430_195453.jpeg
    20180430_195453.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 107
On these 3 headstones that I am trying to get info on, this final one I have been unable to even find him on the Muster rolls. Best I can make out is. G.W Hoffler I 1st Texas. What's your thoughts?
There's a G. W. Hoffler listed in Co. B of the 4th Texas Infantry.
https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search...oldierId=8E641BA9-DC7A-DF11-BF36-B8AC6F5D926A

HOFFLER, G. W. - W., Antietam (Sept.17, 1862): Died from wound.

In Val C. Giles' roster of Co. B, 4th Texas his says: Hoffler, G. W. - a North Carolinian; was killed at Sharpsburg.

How do you know where to look for this info! if you could see me, my mind is blown right now! Do you have any suggestions on places to look for their birth date and place of birth? or any other info. You have me hooked on the NPS site now. :smile:

How do you know where to look for this info! if you could see me, my mind is blown right now! Do you have any suggestions on places to look for their birth date and place of birth? or any other info. You have me hooked on the NPS site now. :smile:
Some are subscribers to:

https://www.fold3.com/

I used to be but I cancelled my subscription. I had already gotten pretty much everything I could find there on my Civil War ancestors.

Back