Hood's other options at Franklin.

Steve Davis's second volume on Hood is out and based on Drew Wagenhoffer's review (link below) Steve addresses this issue. I haven't gotten it yet but I have Steve's first volume (which takes us through the fall of Atlanta) and it's recommended.

With all due respect, I would highly recommend Eric's book on Franklin. I read it 3 or 4 years ago and it was excellent.

When discussing what other options Hood had available, I think many posters have based it upon Hood having all the time in the world to conceive of his plan. Consider 2 important factors: First is that Schofield will cross the Harpeth at dark and escape his grasp and unite with Thomas at Nashville, which defeats the whole purpose of these actions taken by Hood. Second is we're talking mid December, and it gets dark very early that time of year (before 5 pm). Hood is working extremely limited daylight hours he has to make a decision pronto so it can be executed. Night attacks in the civil war are not recommended and the history of them are poor.

Sam Hood also put a scathing review of Davis' book on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Into-Tenness...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Last edited:
With all due respect, I would highly recommend Eric's book on Franklin. I read it 3 or 4 years ago and it was excellent.

When discussing what other options Hood had available, I think many posters have based it upon Hood having all the time in the world to conceive of his plan. Consider 2 important factors: First is that Schofield will cross the Harpeth at dark and escape his grasp and unite with Thomas at Nashville, which defeats the whole purpose of these actions taken by Hood. Second is we're talking mid December, and it gets dark very early that time of year (before 5 pm). Hood is working extremely limited daylight hours he has to make a decision pronto so it can be executed. Night attacks in the civil war are not recommended and the history of them are poor.

Sam Hood also put a scathing review of Davis' book on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Into-Tenness...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews
Where did I advise against Eric's book (which I have, just so you know). I'm not sure why that means that a reader should not buy the Davis volume, but feel free to lay that out. With all due respect I'd be very cautious basing a buying decision on ** Amazon reviews. In this case, for example, Wagenhoffer has no "skin in the game". I've dealt with him for years and he is a competent, objective reviewer.

Back