Hood's hungry men are sent into action near the Dunker Church

On units engaged (on Jackson's side), it looks like his old division, Ewell's (Lawton's), Hood's, Walker's, McLaws, and part of D.H. Hill's division and part of D.R. Jones's division were sent into this - some only after this had started, but they're all present at some point.

http://antietam.aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=main

I'm not sure that adds up to 25,000 unless we go with the high end numbers for the ANV on the field, but its certainly a fair portion of the army's strength.

And there is definitely no overall supervision of the Federal effort - not by the corps commanders and not by the army commander - seeing everything work in unison.

It's hard to imagine how hungry these soldiers would of been. I find it amazing how well men on both sides fought during the CW considering today we would say most of them were malnourished at the time of battle

My ancestor Gasper Roland was instrumental in bringing the Dunkard denomination to Maryland. I wondered if he had anything to do with this church specifically but apparently not....unless a member of the congregation was a child of one of his original converts or some similar situation.

Last edited:
My ancestor Gasper Roland was instrumental in bringing the Dunkard denomination to Maryland. I wondered if he had anything to do with this church has specifically but apparently not....unless a member of the congregation was a child of one of his original converts or some similar situation.
How interesting! It would be cool if you could trace that, in your spare time.:bounce:

My ancestor Gasper Roland was instrumental in bringing the Dunkard denomination to Maryland. I wondered if he had anything to do with this church specifically but apparently not....unless a member of the congregation was a child of one of his original converts or some similar situation.

The Dunker Church was built on land donated by the Mummas, who owned the farm you can see from the Visitor's Center. Lots of Mumma descendants still around, including Ike, who is one of the maintenance people at the field, is the one who plants and tends the flowers at the VC and provides cut flowers for inside the building. Ike is a great guy, the great great grandson of the Mummas who lived at the farm at the time of the battle.

Back