Monuments Hood's Brigade Monument, Austin, TX

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Silver Patron
Retired Moderator
Took the seniors for their annual Broadway tour show (The Lion King) and a Capitol tour....and visited my very favorite monument. Make me weepy every time I read all four sides.

RHS_3869.JPG

Unfortunately, my namesake didn't live to see it but his wife, Angelina Virginia Winkler was active with the fundraising. A fabulous monument to incredible warriors.

It's funny. From a distance it's not that impressive...Terry's Texas Rangers have the best "statue," IMO (the Longstreet sculptor could have used a few lessons from Pompeo Coppini (who did my favorite all-time, the statue of Chanrles Noyes in Ballinger). Now THAT'S a horse--an anatomically correct one. :smile:

BallingerTxCoppiniNoyesStatue0910BG1.jpg

Great minds think alike. I was reading it aloud Wednesday and that's the part I started oozing on. :smile:

I always like to read the inscriptions on the monuments aloud, despite that people nearby look at me weird. But I always thought the people who wrote the inscriptions not only wanted the monument to stand for something, but the words as well. To me, they stand best read aloud.

Which greatly increases the risk of tearing up, I've found. :smile:

I always like to read the inscriptions on the monuments aloud, despite that people nearby look at me weird. But I always thought the people who wrote the inscriptions not only wanted the monument to stand for something, but the words as well. To me, they stand best read aloud.

Which greatly increases the risk of tearing up, I've found. :smile:

Yeah, and there I was with a bunch of kids. But they're used to me.

I particularly like the line, "Their ragged clothes make no difference, the enemy never see their backs," by General Lee. What high praise!
Lee has also been known to have said "Texan's always move em!" at the Battle of the Wilderness when he tried to personally lead the Texas Brigade in a counter attack at the widow tapp field, but was persuaded to go back when the Texans yelled "Lee to the rear!" and "Go back Lee!" as they knew he'd be hit leading them across that field.

Lee has also been known to have said "Texan's always move em!" at the Battle of the Wilderness when he tried to personally lead the Texas Brigade in a counter attack at the widow tapp field, but was persuaded to go back when the Texans yelled "Lee to the rear!" and "Go back Lee!" as they knew he'd be hit leading them across that field.

If someone has a photo of the other side with quotes....the Wilderness story is there. And several other Lee quotes about the Brigade. (I think he probably said "move them." I can't imagine him saying "'em"

Back