Hood's Brigade 2019 Battlefield Tour "Lee's Campaigns into the North" June 4-7

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Silver Patron
Retired Moderator
You know what THAT title means...we are going to Gettysburg--and Chambersburg, Harrisburg, Antietam and Harper's Ferry. The Texans are invading again, but we're inviting you to join us for a great tour of some really key places--with some really, really good speakers and guides.

Several of us are members of Hood's Texas Brigade Association, Re-Activated. Each year we have an educational symposium, and a battlefield tour during the summer. This year's tour will focus on some key locations, and I think whether you have been there before or go all the time, you may be interested. Hood's Brigade is happily inclusive; while the original purpose was to get descendants together, there are quite a few Associate Members like myself who gleefully tag along. Why? Because their programs are some of the best available in Texas (unless you live in the Eastern half, like Andy Hall and bdtex!). Here's a summary of the itinerary. I'm also attaching the 4-page flyer with complete information:

There will be a 35-passenger bus--no dreaded car snake! The HQ (sans Lee's pet chicken) is in Chambersburg at the Hampton Inn. We'll tour each day, then return for an evening program. All meals are included (see flyer).

Wednesday, June 5th -- Harper's Ferry and Antietam. We'll have Dennis Frye as our guide, and find out the significance of Jackson's capture of the arsenal and Special Order #191, plus visit the Antietam HQ sites for Lee and McClellan. Let's stand in Bloody Lane together, cross Burnside's Bridge, and lots more! That evening, we'll hear Kent Masterson Brown on the retreat.

Thursday, June 6th -- Morning tour of Gettysburg battlefield, ending with a trip to the Seminary Museum and a climb up to the Cupola. In the evening, we'll be at a PRIVATE EVENT in the GB Visitor's Center--yes, we'll be the only people viewing the Cyclorama, with a program by Sue Boardman of the Gettysburg Foundation.

Friday, June 7th -- Morning at Gettysburg, then to Harrisburg for the National Civil War Museum, with a private tour of the archives in the basement.

OPTIONAL -- On Saturday, we're also invited to attend Dr. Susannah Ural's talk being taped for C-SPAN at the National Civil War Museum. This will be on her current research into the Confederate Home for Men and Women in Mississippi (this will be a transport yourself-ride-sharing thing).

Cost for the Tour/Events is $595 per person. Each person is responsible for getting to Chambersburg and his/her own lodging. We will have a block of rooms available. Meals include the Welcome Dinner Tuesday evening and Farewell Dinner Friday evening, plus packet materials and handouts from the speakers (now you know why I have an office at home).

Martha Hartzog, President of HTBAR, tells us there will not be as much strenuous walking as on past tours--which is a good thing for those of us with bad knees, blown disks, etc....Another thing I forgot to mention is Rick Eiserman our HTBAR Historian and Texas Brigade star researcher, will be our "Mr. Faver" (younguns'll have to ask about the Trail Boss on Rawhide) and throw in lots of tidbits you won't hear elsewhere.

Martha's email address is on the flyer if you need additional information.

Attachments

• HTBAR2019Tour4pWEB.pdf
    352.6 KB · Views: 130
It will be! They've done one every year for several years, and I think someone may have posted some of the past excursions...the one from Franklin was one I was really sorry to miss. Here's the official website for HTBAR... https://www.hoodstexasbrigade.org/
I have attended most of the annual symposiums in the fall since 2006 or 2007. The quality of the presenters is just wonderful, and for those of us far from a Round Table or other Civil War-oriented educational activities, it's a must.
Looks like a nice tour[/Q

Back