HONORING WILLIAM "TEN CENT BILL" YOPP -Black Confederate Veteran/Drummer 14th Georgia Infantry

Belle Montgomery

Sergeant Major
I am posting what I found please do not attack me:

1549742268337.png
1549742499608.png

There was something special, even magical, which took place under the golden dome of the Georgia Capitol on the 5th day of March. The occasion was the signing of a proclamation honoring Confederate Memorial Day in Georgia. With a few strokes of his pen, Georgia governor Sonny Perdue signed a proclamation which honored a black man, who was a soldier of the Confederate army. After serving with master Thomas Yopp, Bill lost touch with his life long friend for more than forty years. The winds of fate brought these men together in Atlanta after the end of World War I. Those winds still whirl around the capital city and on this day brought together a new circle of friends, bound together for the common love and admiration of a single man, some loving him for just being their great great granddaddy and others just in tribute for his undying love for his friends, despite the obstacles society put in his way.

Rosa Chappell, of Laurens County, began inquiring about any available information on her ancestor Bill Yopp. On another front and completely unknown to anyone else who came to the governor's office that day, local realtor Rusty Henderson, a member of Georgia's Civil War Commission, proposed to the governor's office that this year the state honor Yopp, one of the most well known black Confederate soldiers in the South. Mrs. Chappell and Mr. Henderson met and the word spread among Bill's descendants. Up in Charlotte, North Carolina, Charlie Pittman was putting the finishing touches on his historical novel, Ten Cent Bill. Pittman, who has been studying the life of Bill Yopp for more than four years, had lost touch with his contact at the Laurens County Historical Society. He knew nothing of the ceremony until Betty Page's call to Joy Warren at the library's heritage center. Warren informed two researchers in the library
REST OF ARTICLE WITH PICS: http://laurenscountyafricanamerican...2014/02/honoring-ten-cent-bill-there-was.html

See ALSO: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/10076434/william-h_-yopp
1549742887672.png

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

View attachment 290593 View attachment 290594
There was something special, even magical, which took place under the golden dome of the Georgia Capitol on the 5th day of March. The occasion was the signing of a proclamation honoring Confederate Memorial Day in Georgia. With a few strokes of his pen, Georgia governor Sonny Perdue signed a proclamation which honored a black man, who was a soldier of the Confederate army. After serving with master Thomas Yopp, Bill lost touch with his life long friend for more than forty years. The winds of fate brought these men together in Atlanta after the end of World War I. Those winds still whirl around the capital city and on this day brought together a new circle of friends, bound together for the common love and admiration of a single man, some loving him for just being their great great granddaddy and others just in tribute for his undying love for his friends, despite the obstacles society put in his way.

Rosa Chappell, of Laurens County, began inquiring about any available information on her ancestor Bill Yopp. On another front and completely unknown to anyone else who came to the governor's office that day, local realtor Rusty Henderson, a member of Georgia's Civil War Commission, proposed to the governor's office that this year the state honor Yopp, one of the most well known black Confederate soldiers in the South. Mrs. Chappell and Mr. Henderson met and the word spread among Bill's descendants. Up in Charlotte, North Carolina, Charlie Pittman was putting the finishing touches on his historical novel, Ten Cent Bill. Pittman, who has been studying the life of Bill Yopp for more than four years, had lost touch with his contact at the Laurens County Historical Society. He knew nothing of the ceremony until Betty Page's call to Joy Warren at the library's heritage center. Warren informed two researchers in the library
REST OF ARTICLE WITH PICS: http://laurenscountyafricanamerican...2014/02/honoring-ten-cent-bill-there-was.html

View attachment 290595
Great post, thanks for sharing !

Was he actually approved by the Confederate Government to be a soldier in the Confederate Army? WHO is designating him as a soldier?

Kevin Dally

You'll have to ask those who researched him edited; modern politics
Are they the Confederate Government, I think not. I just don't see proof that he had the status of a "soldier" in the Confederacy's eyes, they set the enlistment rules, not someone in modern times. We can recognize him for what he did, but I don't see him being a "soldier" like the article states.

Kevin Dally

Last edited by a moderator:

Belle Montgomery

Sergeant Major
Are they the Confederate Government, I think not. I just don't see proof that he had the status of a "soldier" in the Confederacy's eyes, they set the enlistment rules, not someone in modern times. We can recognize him for what he did, but I don't see him being a "soldier" like the article states.

Kevin Dally
I see that his owner is but then again what was the protocol back then considering he was "property?"
Yopp, Thomas M.

I see that his owner is but then again what was the protocol back then considering he was "property?"
Yopp, Thomas M.
And...you hit a good point, he was property, a truthful status that is correct.
The problem with the article is too much is made of him being a "soldier" giving one the impression that was his status, and not just someone's property.
Folk seem to forget that the status of soldier back then, didn't apply to blacks/slaves like folk think it does today.
"Colored Soldier" is historically misleading when it comes to the Confederacy in 1861-65.

Kevin Dally

In one of the regiments of my ancestors, there were two free blacks who are recognized as serving in that regiment as musicians. Austin Dix was a free black who was listed as the drummer and Dick Slate was listed as a musician. Both men freely enlisted in May 1861. Dick Slate was discharged in 1862 and Austin Dix served until the summer of 1863. While they may not carried arms in combat they are listed on the regimental roster as having served in uniform for the Confederacy. The regiment they served in was the 18th Virginia Infantry.

Belle Montgomery

Sergeant Major
And...you hit a good point, he was property, a truthful status that is correct.
The problem with the article is too much is made of him being a "soldier" giving one the impression that was his status, and not just someone's property.
Folk seem to forget that the status of soldier back then, didn't apply to blacks/slaves like folk think it does today.
"Colored Soldier" is historically misleading when it comes to the Confederacy in 1861-65.

Kevin Dally
Nonetheless being that he was a musician wouldn't that make his status Confederate? Weren't musicians considered more than just "cooks" etc.?

Bumping this since the most recent debate about "diversity" in the Confederate army including African Americans. Perhaps this man is in the "minority" however I'm sure others were either killed, denied they did or switched sides by the end of the war. For me the real debate is what side they chose whether or not they were "official" soldiers. If you didn't know any other life you feared the Yankees taking what you "know" for something worse. Just like Bryant Gumball's ancestor in Louisiana (see his "Finding your Roots" episode on You Tube) who switched sides after they were taken over. I don't get why it's so hard to believe that SOME blacks feared the unknown ie: white man Yankee promises! After all...why trust any white man? I wouldn't blame them for being skeptical!

Bumping this since the most recent debate about "diversity" in the Confederate army including African Americans. Perhaps this man is in the "minority" however I'm sure others were either killed, denied they did or switched sides by the end of the war. For me the real debate is what side they chose whether or not they were "official" soldiers. If you didn't know any other life you feared the Yankees taking what you "know" for something worse. Just like Bryant Gumball's ancestor in Louisiana (see his "Finding your Roots" episode on You Tube) who switched sides after they were taken over. I don't get why it's so hard to believe that SOME blacks feared the unknown ie: white man Yankee promises! After all...why trust any white man? I wouldn't blame them for being skeptical!
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/wh...-the-csa-military.138201/page-10#post-1809435

View attachment 290593 View attachment 290594

View attachment 290595
Thank you, Belle. This is a very nice story. Whether Bill was officially recognized as a soldier or not doesn't matter a bit to me. What matters is his sense of loyalty and friendship with his old comrades and their respect of him. Living in retirement at the Confederate Soldiers' Home tells me all I need to know about the way the old soldiers felt about him.

AndyHall

Colonel
Forum Host
Was he actually approved by the Confederate Government to be a soldier in the Confederate Army? WHO is designating him as a soldier?
The answer is no. Nonetheless, Bill Yopp is an interesting character. His residence at the Confederate Veteran's home, and subsequent burial under a CS headstone, came about as a result of the work he did to support the old veterans living there, not because of his status in 1861-65. He visited the old veterans, raised money for them, brought them gifts, and so on. So when he needed support, there was a call to allow him to enter the home. Entirely appropriate and well-earned, but still, the governors of the home had to make special accommodation for him, because he didn't officially qualify. He was a good and decent man, and it's appropriate to remember him.

Bell Wiley, who went on the write the classic works on the common soldier, The Life of Johnny Reb and The Life of Billy Yank, actually interviewed Bill Yopp in 1932 and wrote about him in his first book Southern Negroes, 1861-1865, first published in 1938:

scan0002.jpg

Captain Yopp, BTW, got cashiered out to the C.S. Army and sent to serve with the Navy, for reasons that I haven't determined.

Last edited:

AndyHall

Colonel
Forum Host
227.JPG

Bill Yopp and his old master, Thomas Yopp. It's an interesting contrast to see the changed relative status of the two men, decades after the war. Not what one might expect.

Tangential, but this is Thomas Yopp's profile from the CS Sailor's page:
_______

Thomas M. Yopp (middle initial also shown as N.), born Georgia, June 5, 1828; resided, as a farmer, in 1860, at Laurens County, Georgia; appointed 1st lieutenant, Company H, 14th Regiment, Georgia Volunteer Infantry, July 9, 1861; elected Captain, July 18, 1861; wounded at Seven Pines, Virginia, May 31, 1862; cashiered August 31, 1863; records show he received pay at Richmond, Virginia, while serving as private in this company from October 17, 1863 to April 2, 1864; transferred to Confederate States Navy, April 4, 1864; served as landsman aboard the CSS Olustee, Wilmington station, 1864, and later aboard the CSS Columbia, Charleston station, 1865; transferred to the Richmond station on January 22, 1865; shown to be living in Runnels County, Texas, in 1880, as a farmer; resided, in 1910 and 1920, as an inmate of the Confederate Soldiers' Home, at Edgewood district, Fulton County, Georgia; died Fulton County, Georgia, January 23, 1920. [Georgia Rosters 2, 388; 1860 U.S. Census; 1880 U.S. Census; 1910 U.S. Census; 1920 U.S. Census; Georgia Deaths, 1919 - 1998 at the Ancestry.com web site; Confederate Navy subject file N - Personnel; NA - Complements, rolls, lists of persons, etc.; CSS Alabama - CSS Neuse, pages 270 - 271; Confederate Navy subject file N - Personnel; NA - Complements, rolls, lists of persons, etc.; CSS New Orleans - Yorktown, page 849.]

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)