• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Useful Honey Soap

honey soap
(from Confederate Receipt Book. A Compilation of over One Hundred Receipts, Adapted to the Times, 1863)

Ingredients:

2 lbs. common yellow or white soap​
1/4 lb. honey​
perfume​
Instructions:
Cut into thick shavings two pounds of common yellow or white soap, put it on the fire with just water enough to keep it from burning: when quite melted, add a quarter of a pound of honey; stirring it till it boils, then take it off, and add a few drops of any agreeable perfume. Pour it into deep dish to cool, and then cut it into squares. It improves by keeping. It will soften and whiten the skin.​

Honey has been used for centuries for food as well as for medicinal purposes. One of the ways to use honey is to make honey soap or a relaxing honey bath.

Honey is used as a dressing for wounds as it is helpful in healing minor cuts and abrasions by drawing excess water from the tissues and reducing swelling. Honey contains a germ killing substance which helps prevent infections.

Honey is also a healthy snack as the glucose and fructose in honey have been predigested by the bees that produced it and are easily absorbed by our digestive tract.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Honey Snack, Honey and Vinegar Candy.

1 cup honey
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Pour the honey and vinegar into heavy saucepan. Place over medium heat until mixture starts to boil. Honey should reach 300 degrees (hard crack stage).
Remove from heat and add vanilla. Immediately pour out on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place in freezer or refrigerator to cool.
Once chilled break into long strips and then break again into smaller pieces. Store in freezer. These start out crunchy but turn chewy in seconds.

It is a really versatile food.

Hungry? Eat honey! Sick? Eat honey! Child is lightly wounded? Give honey! Sad? Eat honey! Cold? Drink something warm - with lots of honey! Food tastes like nothing? Add honey! Food needs special flavor? Add honey (works nicely with chicken)! Everything looks colourless? Watch liquid honey moving in a turned glass (probably light a candle behind it)! Insect hunt? Bait with honey! Bear attack? Drop the honey! Humanoid attack? Throw honey (glass incuded)!

Really versatile.

Honey is an amazing food! Tastes great, has healing properties and is all natural. Honey is said to aid allergies by taking a spoonful a few times a day during allergy season or times of heightened pollen. My favorite is Buckwheat Honey as it has a stronger more robust flavor that the popular Clover Honey.

And entertain the kids:
pooh611.jpg

Attachments

• pooh611.jpg
    pooh611.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 35
Long before beekeeping was introduced, Stone Age Man valued honey from Wild Bees for it's rarity as well as for it's taste. In England, honey was the ordinary person's sweetener until the middle of the 17th Century, while Sugar was reserved for the Nobility & the gentry. However, by the late 17th Century, sugar was becoming the universal sweetener and Honey the treat ! Hence the nursery rhyme : " The Queen was in her Parlour eating bread & honey "

https://draxe.com/top-20-uses-for-honey/

Top 20 Uses for Honey in Home Remedies

Honeyis a delicious and natural sweetener many of us are already familiar with. For those looking to eat fewer processed foods, honey may seem like a good natural choice as a sweetener, but first you must know that not all honey is created equal.

Most commercial honey sold in stores is heated to high temperatures and pasteurized, getting rid of most of the beneficial enzymes, antioxidants and other nutrients that are heat-sensitive.

Commercial honey has also had most of the pollen removed. Bee pollen is considered to be one of the most nutritionally-complete foods available due to its high amino acid and antioxidant content.

Although most commercial honey is not beneficial to your health, raw honey has multiple health benefits. Raw honey is unheated, unprocessed and unpasteurized. Therefore, it is able to keep all of its nutrients intact, as they are not destroyed by processing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE honey! I take a spoonful daily during allergy season and I find it's quite helpful. I like the raw clover honey as its got the best flavor and is loaded with good bacteria.:bee:
When ever I buy honey I always get raw honey because it is unfiltered and uncooked,makes the world of difference in its taste also.

Back