Collection Home weaponry displays

My collection, as such, isn't very worthy! I have a few bullets I've bought and a few shell pieces I bought in Winchester. I have a special pen I bought made from some wood from the USS Cairo. AND I have an Ames sword with complete scabbard that I got for 10.00 at a yard sale in 1972 when I was 14. My mother asked, "what do you want with that old thing?" I need to post a picture of that and have you guys look at it, but I'm very busy getting ready to leave for Maryland tomorrow, so it will have to be next week. I have nebulous desires to own an Amoskeag musket since I live 5 miles from the Amoskeag mills and grew up here and have started to work on that. I have two horses and @johan_steele thinks I should have a Sharps Carbine instead.

We have a small farm with some good pastures and what I really want is a small mounted rifle/cannon. However, my numbers in megabucks need to come up for that!

I agree with johan. We have two horses also, and that's two too many!
With all the money that goes into them every year, you could buy several Sharps carbines.

I meant a carbine instead of the musket! You don't sound like you are the horse person!:D I now realize I wasn't clear in my statement.

Perhaps the result of being raised in Petersburg, Va., surrounded by the history, and collecting for more years than I care to remember. I finally built on a wing to the house for my accumulation. Functionality being the goal, I switched to vertical racks long ago as they increased the number of guns in a particular space. I've posted a few photos before, but just took these... The guns propped up in the corners are indicative that it's time to sell a few {or add another partition}. :unsure:

The long wall; from colonial to WWII including all the Federal stuff I still have.
View attachment 323696

The rest is CSA, grouped by states.
View attachment 323697

Colts in the center, the rest mostly CS single shots.
View attachment 323698

CS swords are the only thing horizontal inside this alcove. Here's one wall ... and...Yes, out of space again !!!

View attachment 323699
And that does not include the Enfield room, where another 100 or so British CS pieces reside...……...

My collection, as such, isn't very worthy! I have a few bullets I've bought and a few shell pieces I bought in Winchester. I have a special pen I bought made from some wood from the USS Cairo. AND I have an Ames sword with complete scabbard that I got for 10.00 at a yard sale in 1972 when I was 14. My mother asked, "what do you want with that old thing?" I need to post a picture of that and have you guys look at it, but I'm very busy getting ready to leave for Maryland tomorrow, so it will have to be next week. I have nebulous desires to own an Amoskeag musket since I live 5 miles from the Amoskeag mills and grew up here and have started to work on that. I have two horses and @johan_steele thinks I should have a Sharps Carbine instead.

We have a small farm with some good pastures and what I really want is a small mounted rifle/cannon. However, my numbers in megabucks need to come up for that!
Where in Maryland?

There is no such thing as a bad Civil War collection! Duckies are great as well...…...

Like this one ? Donald was one of a series of Civil War pins released during the Lions Club 2001 Convention in Indianapolis, Ind. Donald Duck (facing left) is dressed in a light gray Confederate artillery uniform with orange trim, black sword belt and black boots. He carries an infantry rifle with the bayonett. He is charging with an angry expression on his face. The Lions Club logo is above Donald's bayonett blade. Below Donald in gold on black is a rectangle with "FIRST BATTLE OF WINCHESTER VA." This is similar in design to all the pins in the set (showing the battle). The pin measures 2 1/8" (54 mm) tall by 1 7/8" (49 mm). As with all Lions Club pins, there are no markings on the back this double post pin.

8F7831CC-4041-44BD-B0E8-37AA86B75AAB.jpeg

There is simply no competing with you guys!:nah disagree: My piddly little stuff is the equivalent of "look at my rubber ducky.":D

I used to feel the same way. (still do) but I built my collection (still small) by adding one piece at a time. Great collections don't happen overnight. They take years to build. They become associated with your name, they become what you are known for. Patience over an amount of time will lead to a collection to be proud of.

For you guys that don't seem to be horse people, I'm looking at you @vmicraig and @OldSarge79, there is this event, Cowboy Mounted Shooting, that uses these guns - we'll call it the "Reconstruction Period" to keep it in CivilWarTalk. My younger horse can definitely do this and I'd like to try it. We've gone to some of these events to observe. A lot of women are in this sport.

What type of guns are used?

Mounted Shooters use .45 caliber single action revolvers like those used in the late 1800's. Single action revolvers must be cocked each time before firing by drawing the hammer back. A double action revolver can be fired by simply pulling the trigger, without cocking the hammer. Despite the use of double action revolvers in the Old West, the CMSA limits our competitions to single action revolvers. Only fixed sight single action revolvers of .45 Colt caliber, designed prior to 1898, or reproductions thereof, shall be allowed in CMSA competitions. Examples are: Colt Single Action Army or Bisley Model, Smith & Wesson Schofield, Russian, or Remington Models 1875 & 1890, their reproductions and Ruger Vaqueros, Bisleys or Montados.

For you guys that don't seem to be horse people, I'm looking at you @vmicraig and @OldSarge79, there is this event, Cowboy Mounted Shooting, that uses these guns - we'll call it the "Reconstruction Period" to keep it in CivilWarTalk. My younger horse can definitely do this and I'd like to try it. We've gone to some of these events to observe. A lot of women are in this sport.

What type of guns are used?

Mounted Shooters use .45 caliber single action revolvers like those used in the late 1800's. Single action revolvers must be cocked each time before firing by drawing the hammer back. A double action revolver can be fired by simply pulling the trigger, without cocking the hammer. Despite the use of double action revolvers in the Old West, the CMSA limits our competitions to single action revolvers. Only fixed sight single action revolvers of .45 Colt caliber, designed prior to 1898, or reproductions thereof, shall be allowed in CMSA competitions. Examples are: Colt Single Action Army or Bisley Model, Smith & Wesson Schofield, Russian, or Remington Models 1875 & 1890, their reproductions and Ruger Vaqueros, Bisleys or Montados.

Sounds fun. We will be waiting for the video of you with baited breath!!! You’ll soon be changing your moniker to Annie Oakley!

Like this one ? Donald was one of a series of Civil War pins released during the Lions Club 2001 Convention in Indianapolis, Ind. Donald Duck (facing left) is dressed in a light gray Confederate artillery uniform with orange trim, black sword belt and black boots. He carries an infantry rifle with the bayonett. He is charging with an angry expression on his face. The Lions Club logo is above Donald's bayonett blade. Below Donald in gold on black is a rectangle with "FIRST BATTLE OF WINCHESTER VA." This is similar in design to all the pins in the set (showing the battle). The pin measures 2 1/8" (54 mm) tall by 1 7/8" (49 mm). As with all Lions Club pins, there are no markings on the back this double post pin.

View attachment 324920
Bet they won't do another of those, times have really changed......

Sounds fun. We will be waiting for the video of you with baited breath!!! You’ll soon be changing your moniker to Annie Oakley!

I wish I could show you the "video" of me on organized trail ride two weeks ago. The Army Corps of Engineers were hosting us for a 10 mile ride, partly over about 3 miles of a 1787 road over a very steep mountain in NH. There were very steep sides to this very disused road. I was with a group of non-Civil War people and there were six of us in our immediate group. I was musing about being scouting or being in a cavalry unit in the Civil War when we hit yellow jackets. You could say I was Annie Oakley (and one other gal) for about 5 minutes. We stayed on because the awful truth was... we were miles from anywhere or any immediate help and I guess that was the most lifelike CW experience I've had to date.

I have been all over Monocacy several times. It is one of my favorite battlefields, small, intimate and easily understood. I'm going to try very hard to get to Antietam. I know the anniversary of South Mountain is Saturday. Two-years-ago, my niece and I climbed South Mountain and it was fantastic. I want to go back to Antietam. The day we were there, it was a gorgeous day but had a piercingly cold wind and we were out in it all day, so by the end of the day, we cut a couple of things short. I want to go back and just absorb. Looking at the temps down there right now, I don't think it is going to be cold! It will be a 25+ increase for me, right now.

You mean the revolver holsters? How did you learn that provenance? That is amazing!

I just came in from doing the Poop Scoopin' Boogie at the barn. Kinda makes me want to break into song.:nah disagree:

Seriously though, that sounds like a great event. My wife could probably get into that, if only she knew which end of a gun is the front.
I admit to not being a horse person, but I love one. Does that count?

Back