Uniforms Home guard uniforms North and South.

Yeah, you're right.

I'm very familiar with the early War Pensacola images.
I've always enjoyed the stereotypical dress of the man standing on the mortar.

Many of the regiments brought uniforms down there, but very few like to wear such.
They just were not practical in that environment.
Of the Pensacola images, I think only the 10th Mississippi put on their dress uniforms for a formal
" photo" .
The fellow on the mortar is wearing a common citizen's frock coat, perhaps with a velvet collar; plain slouch hat, etc. However, notice his trousers are marked by military stripes...
1628650547260.png

Making plain clothing "uniform" was not odd among Confederate troops. Regarding "uniforms" among Confederate troops by February, 1862, a Union account states (based on the many thousands of POWs from Forts Henry, Donelson, etc.)

1628650709756.png

Here is a rare photograph of Confederate soldiers in genuine homespun. Photographed at Lynchburg, Va. in March, 1864. Dr. John S. Pendleton, surgeon of the 45th Batalion of Virginia Infantry (left), and his brother William C. Pendleton, a private in Company A of the same outfit. Dr. Pendleton’s suit of jeans made in Tazewell County, Va. from cloth woven by their mother. Private Pendleton’s was made from jeans woven by their aunt Mrs. Kate Cecil Peery.
1628651097953.png

Since Militia/Home Guards were outfitted at home, just like many CS Soldiers, gives some ideas from among the better dressed sorts...

J. Marshall,
Hernando, FL.

Back