Home guard and my ancestor Elijah Whicker

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
I had seen a previous thread on the state of the home guard and wanted to add personal response to the thread. When the war started my ancestor Elijah Whicker was given a deferment due to working in a defense industry (Mendenhall, Jones and Gardner armory) which his Father Moses Whicker helped him get hired. The armory was located near Guilford College and produced 2,000 muskets for the Confederacy. They are noted for the long bayonet attachments. He worked at this armory until 1864 when the Home Guard came through and forced all workers under 40 to join the Confederacy regardless of deferments. He along with other workers were shipped to Raleigh and then to Petersburg where he became part of the 33rd infantry and died in battle on January 13th 1865. I have copies of several letters he wrote home during that time.

Last edited:

Ole Miss

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

Zella

2nd Lieutenant
I had seen a previous thread on the state of the home guard and wanted to add personal response to the thread. When the war started my ancestor Elijah Whicker was given a deferment due to working in a defense industry (Mendenhall, Jones and Gardner armory) which his Father Moses Whicker helped him get hired. The armory was located near Guilford College and produced 2,000 muskets for the Confederacy. They are noted for the long bayonet attachments. He worked at this armory until 1864 when the Home Guard came through and forced all workers under 40 to join the Confederacy regardless of deferments. He along with other workers were shipped to Raleigh and then to Petersburg where he became part of the 33rd infantry and died in battle on January 13th 1865. I have copies of several letters he wrote home during that time.
Welcome! That's a sad story, but it's wonderful you have copies of some of his letters.