"Holy moses, how I wished the ground would open and receive me" -- an encounter with General Lee

Andy Cardinal

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
images (1).jpeg

Straggling was a major problem for the Army of Northern Virginia in Maryland in September 1862. Robert E. Lee spoke and wrote about the problem several timesduring the campaign. The following account, from W. H. Andrews of the 1st Georgia Regulars (G. T. Anderson's brigade), sheds some light on the frustration Lee felt.

The incident described took place on September 18.

"Soon after joining my comrades, I went to a pump in the road we had passed on the day before just in the edge of the village, after water, which I procured, and started back. But the tempting fruit in an apple orchard on my left caused me to get into serious trouble. I scaled the fence, filled my haversack with sweet rosy apples, and had I then left the orchard would have been alright. But finding a new oil cloth knapsack, decided to make a new haversack out of it.... I was so intent on watching my comrades in front that I paid no attention to what was going on in my rear. Pretty soon I heard the tramping of a horse's feet and on looking around, I was completely dumbfounded and so badly scared I must have trembled like a leaf. Within 10 feet of me was Gen. Lee sitting on his horse and near him was a guard of six or eight men. Holy moses, how I wished the ground would open and receive me, but the general did not give me any moments for reflection. "What command do you belong to sir?" asked Gen. Lee. "Anderson's Georgia Brigade" was my answer. His next word was, "Guard, arrest him and carry him to Gen. Anderson and tell him to put him out in front."

Under the same apple tree was a sick soldier who was bare-footed, the blood running out of his lacerated feet. I never heard a poor devil beg like he did, but it availed him nothing. I have never heard worse abuse heaped on two mortals than Gen. Lee gave to us. He certainly could call a fellow more hard names and in the fewest words of any man I ever saw. He called us cowards, thieves, deserters, stragglers, and everything else but good soldiers.... Gen. Lee was looking for stragglers, and while I was near my regiment, I could not deny being a straggler. So I said nothing in my own defense.

I am confident I never had anything in the course of my existence that hurt me as bad as being reprimanded by Gen. Lee.

Edit: Souce -- Footprints of the Regiment, pp. 82-84

Last edited:
Back