History's Best Smilers, We've Been Practicing For Awhile

Bringing back the smilers for more. It's that time of year- who can't dredge one up for Valentine's Day? Besides, just read yet another discussion ( not here ) alllll about how no one smiled for era photos. Ahem.

smiley11.jpg

She's awesome.
smile best1.jpg

smile4.jpg

This happy Dad is just post-war, who knows? Could be a vet pretty darn happy to have lived through the whole thing AND have a family to show for it.

smilee2.jpg

And what's Valentine's Day without a smiling bride on her wedding day? I have to say, out of all the wedding photos in my file ( a LOT ) a few are just priceless.
wedding day10.jpg

Hand's down favorite- his smile! Someone wrestled that groom into his wedding suit, gave up on his hair and they lived happily ever after. You just know it.
profile couple 2.jpg

You know, between reading a LOT of fall-down-funny stuff in era newspapers and getting a look at some of our ancestors here I'm a little convinced we were much funnier ( and appreciated it more ) 150 years ago. In 2020 we tend to take ourselves and everyone else much too seriously.

We're hilarious around 100 times a day, all of us. It can get you in trouble pointing it out, though.

Martha Ann Erskine Ricks, born a slave in Tennessee in 1817, her father bought his family's freedom and they emigrated to Liberia. In 1848, she and her husband accompanied Liberia's first president on a visit to the U.S. and to England. Many years later she would return to London and an audience with Queen Victoria.
@donna introduced us to her nearly nine years ago:

Last edited:
Her Majesty would occasionally show her amusement

OK, anyone else feel the need to investigate Victoria's mohawk? Genuinely dislike poking fun at people and don't mean to- between her nicely flattened hair and this singular style of head wear, poor thing looks like she's sporting a mohawk.

Can't figure out her ' hat '. New favorite!
vic2.png

Back