Member Review History of the Ninth Virginia Cavalry, in the War Between the States

BealeHist9thVACav_cover_page.jpg

I have transcribed this regimental history on Wikisource, whose advantage is essentially being able to human-correct the OCR for better searching experience.

According to the author's son, who copied the manuscript for publication in 1899, 9th Virginia Cavalry regimental commander Brigadier-General R. L. T. Beale wrote it in 1865, and the draft was found among Beale's papers after his death in 1893. The 9th Virginia Cavalry served with Stuart in the ANV throughout the war and was part of the brigade commanded by Rooney Lee, John R. Chambliss, and finally its regimental commander (Beale). Beale's account intersperses descriptions of combat with the more ironic side of the war, such as his unit's capture of Pope's personal baggage. He provides a detailed, if dry, history of his regiment's actions during the war.

Thank you for doing this. While I have owned a copy of a reprint edition of this history from the 1980's for about 20 years now, it nevertheless remains a very rare book. Your efforts make it more available to those who wish to use it.

As a fellow alumnus of Dickinson College, General Beale remains of great interest to me. In 2015, my wife and I went and found his grave on a wind-swept hilltop on the Northern Neck of Virginia.

I have the great fortune of having a first edition copy of this book in my personal library. I acquired it, along with his entire library, from my grandfather's estate. This is one of the better regimental histories-I would go so far as to say it is magnificent. I would highly recommend it to everyone. Also, I was aware of the Dickinson College connection as outlined by my friend, Eric Wittenberg. David.

Thank you for doing this. While I have owned a copy of a reprint edition of this history from the 1980's for about 20 years now, it nevertheless remains a very rare book. Your efforts make it more available to those who wish to use it.

As a fellow alumnus of Dickinson College, General Beale remains of great interest to me. In 2015, my wife and I went and found his grave on a wind-swept hilltop on the Northern Neck of Virginia.
Mr Wittenberg
First I need to say I am a huge fan of your work and it’s a pleasure to communicate with you. You are certainly one of my idols.
My great great grandfather was a member of Company A, 9th Va cavalry for the duration of the war and I dedicated my latest book to him.
“General Robert E Lee’s Warhorses”, released 2/24/20; Newman Springs Publishing. One of my hobbies is researching and locating 19 century house sites. In that regard I have been retracing the steps of the 9th for about the past two years in an attempt to locate some of the places they spent winter camp. Two weeks ago I found where they spent the winters of 62-63 and 63-64. It was a difficult task indeed. As you know they spent a great amount of time in Virginia ‘s Northern Neck. They spent those two winters at Mr Hundley’s in King and Queen County. Beal stated that Huntley’s was near Center Cross (which is in Essex county) so I searched there first. However, King and Queen joins Essex about 5 miles to the south of Center Cross and that’s where I found the house site.... about 10 miles from Center Cross Virginia. The house is now gone but parts of the foundation still exists.
I just thought you would be interested in that tid-bit
Regards Dennis

Mr Wittenberg
First I need to say I am a huge fan of your work and it’s a pleasure to communicate with you. You are certainly one of my idols.
My great great grandfather was a member of Company A, 9th Va cavalry for the duration of the war and I dedicated my latest book to him.
“General Robert E Lee’s Warhorses”, released 2/24/20; Newman Springs Publishing. One of my hobbies is researching and locating 19 century house sites. In that regard I have been retracing the steps of the 9th for about the past two years in an attempt to locate some of the places they spent winter camp. Two weeks ago I found where they spent the winters of 62-63 and 63-64. It was a difficult task indeed. As you know they spent a great amount of time in Virginia ‘s Northern Neck. They spent those two winters at Mr Hundley’s in King and Queen County. Beal stated that Huntley’s was near Center Cross (which is in Essex county) so I searched there first. However, King and Queen joins Essex about 5 miles to the south of Center Cross and that’s where I found the house site.... about 10 miles from Center Cross Virginia. The house is now gone but parts of the foundation still exists.
I just thought you would be interested in that tid-bit
Regards Dennis

Thank you, Dennis. I really appreciate it!

Back