Book Review History of the Ninth Virginia Cavalry, in the War Between the States

BealeHist9thVACav_cover_page.jpg

I have transcribed this regimental history on Wikisource, whose advantage is essentially being able to human-correct the OCR for better searching experience.

According to the author's son, who copied the manuscript for publication in 1899, 9th Virginia Cavalry regimental commander Brigadier-General R. L. T. Beale wrote it in 1865, and the draft was found among Beale's papers after his death in 1893. The 9th Virginia Cavalry served with Stuart in the ANV throughout the war and was part of the brigade commanded by Rooney Lee, John R. Chambliss, and finally its regimental commander (Beale). Beale's account intersperses descriptions of combat with the more ironic side of the war, such as his unit's capture of Pope's personal baggage. He provides a detailed, if dry, history of his regiment's actions during the war.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Eric Wittenberg

2nd Lieutenant
Keeper of the Scales
Thank you for doing this. While I have owned a copy of a reprint edition of this history from the 1980's for about 20 years now, it nevertheless remains a very rare book. Your efforts make it more available to those who wish to use it.

As a fellow alumnus of Dickinson College, General Beale remains of great interest to me. In 2015, my wife and I went and found his grave on a wind-swept hilltop on the Northern Neck of Virginia.

Deleted User CS

Retired User
I have the great fortune of having a first edition copy of this book in my personal library. I acquired it, along with his entire library, from my grandfather's estate. This is one of the better regimental histories-I would go so far as to say it is magnificent. I would highly recommend it to everyone. Also, I was aware of the Dickinson College connection as outlined by my friend, Eric Wittenberg. David.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!