History of the 41st Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry

gary

Captain
by Kimberly and Holloway

OK, it's a first hand account of one of Fox's 300 regiments. It has the standard things you find in most regimental histories. Where it was raised & by whom, camp experience and some antics by the boys. Their first fight and long marches. A handy section listing every soldier, when they entered, where, fate is included in the back (and is almost half the book).

Unfortunately, while the regiment fought in some major actions including Chattanooga, Missionary Ridge all the way to the Siege of Atlanta, it is short on combat details that I enjoy reading about. As such, it is good but wholly unsatisfactory as it really does not add to the readily available body of knowledge to campaigns in which they fought.

Here's an amusing anecdote involving The Rock of Chickamauga, General Thomas. It takes place after the battle and during the Siege of Chattanooga:

"One of the stories that went the rounds in the Forty-first at this time was that of private Hoover, of H company, being intensely homesick, thinking besides that there was little to do in Chattanooga, and knowing there was not enough to eat, asked for a furlough. The petition was discouraged by captain and colonel, and then Hoover asked leave to go to Gen. Thomas in person. He succeeded in getting to the general, and made his plea, ending with the statement, 'Why, General, it's nigh on two years since I've seen my wife.' 'Well, my man,' said Thomas, 'I haven't seen my wife for more than three years.' Hoover was staggered but recovered. He straightened himself into the position of 'Attention' and made his salute as he answered, 'Well, General, me and my wife ain't that kind of folks.'"
lol.gif

Back