History of the 2nd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Many regimental historians enjoy doing their research and then writing 500-600 page tomes to include every scrap of information they can about their "labor of love." That's understandable, but I've also always been interested in graphics that can provide tons of information in one graph. Here's one I put together on the 2nd Mississippi Infantry. The CMSR rolls were missing muster information for the Feb-Mar 1863 muster, thus the gap in the chart.

View attachment 195712
I found this to be very helpful, especially with all the detail in one spot. First, I see the aggregate number of men on the left, easy to read by picking 'green' present for duty. See the green only. Easy to do. Now see the corresponding number on the chart to the left, such as 910 on 5/1/61. In two months time by July, I see a small amount arrested, and 550 present, with 250 sick. It is accurate enough and easy enough to compare the time periods involved at the bottom of the chart. I think it is the static lines ascending diagonally that throws off the viewer (as responses seem).
Lubliner.

I think it is the static lines ascending diagonally that throws off the viewer (as responses seem).
Yes, it can be confusing. Maybe I'm just trying to cram TOO much info into one chart. The way to read the "trend line" statistics is to read the number representing the given variable as the "delta" (the vertical separation) between each line and NOT to try to read the points on the line against the y-axis. I keep trying to find a better way to present that info without having to go to a second chart. But thanks for the feedback!

An interesting way to approach a regimental history. Thanks.

The sheer drop in numbers by the end of the war was striking in the 2nd Mississippi. I seem to remember reading somewhere about the Battle of Bentonville in North Carolina where a Union soldier remarked about how close the Confederate regimental flags were together in line of battle.

RoadDog

An interesting way to approach a regimental history. Thanks.

The sheer drop in numbers by the end of the war was striking in the 2nd Mississippi. I seem to remember reading somewhere about the Battle of Bentonville in North Carolina where a Union soldier remarked about how close the Confederate regimental flags were together in line of battle.

RoadDog
Yes, at Bentonville it was remarked that most AoT regiments were now the size of an early war company. For instance the 19th Tennessee was down to 64 men. The 13th Tennessee down to 50, and the 1st and 27th Tennessee Consolidated was down to 65. The entire Army of Tennessee contingent at Bentonville only numbered some 1,312 men.

Back