History of a 3 inch ordnance rifle converted to a signal gun

sflickinger

Corporal
I wanted to tap some of the expertise on this site. I belong to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. We are going to conduct a dedication ceremony for a Model 1861 3 inch ordnance rifle, manufactured in 1865 in Phoenixville, Pa., that was converted to a signal gun. It has a Army serial # 890. I want to learn the history of this rifle so I can find out how it came to be displayed in front of the Civic Center in West Carrollton, Ohio. I would appreciated any help. I left a couple of messages with a phone I was given as being the Army donations program, but have not been able to get a reply. Is there some sort of registry available?

I don't know what went wrong......I just clicked on the link in my post and it went straight to it.....**stupid computers**!!.....Maybe try again later.....
Good luck!
I was able to find that the cannon went to Ft. Snelling, Mn. after I consulted with the amazing Jim Bender. Thanks for helping. Now I need find out the last leg of the cannon's journey. The information from Mr. Bender is that it's through an act of Congress to disperse obsolete items. Now I need to work the record to find what I'm looking for. Thank you for putting me on the right path. Take care.

I was able to find that the cannon went to Ft. Snelling, Mn. after I consulted with the amazing Jim Bender. Thanks for helping. Now I need find out the last leg of the cannon's journey. The information from Mr. Bender is that it's through an act of Congress to disperse obsolete items. Now I need to work the record to find what I'm looking for. Thank you for putting me on the right path. Take care.
Thanks!! I am glad I could help!!......I hope you find what you are looking for!....Please keep us posted as to your progress!!

Back