History of 182nd New York Infantry (69th NYNGA)

Hi all,

My apologies if this has been posted before, but I thought I'd put this up as it's a history of a little known, but very interesting Union regiment.

This is a thesis written about the 69th NYNGA (or 182nd New York Volunteer Infantry) which was a unit part of Michael Corcoran's Irish Legion, serving in the Siege of Suffolk and later with the 2nd Corps in the Overland and Petersburg campaigns.

I was particularly interested in the Fenian links that the regiment had and the influence that the organisation played, particularly on the regiment's officer corps. It was interesting to read how the casualties suffered by the 182nd/69th NYNGA had a significant, and detrimental, impact on the post-war development of the Fenian Brotherhood.

I was also very interested in the author's examination of the recruitment challenges faced a New York Irish regiment in the aftermath of the Emancipation Proclamation and generally the views of Fenians on the abolition of slavery. I think the author paints an interesting picture that not all Irish were anti-abolitionists.

The author also goes to great length to describe how the 69th NYNGA/182nd NYVI has largely been over-shadowed by its more famous counter part, the 69th NYVI in historiography and memory.

Enjoy!

Attachments

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
The author also goes to great length to describe how the 69th NYNGA/182nd NYVI has largely been over-shadowed by its more famous counter part, the 69th NYVI in historiography and memory.
the author goes even, and obviously on authentic and more than concrete basis, to affirm at page 2 'most historians suppose that the 69th NYV emerged from the 69th New York State Militia (NYSM), New York’s antebellum, all-Irish State militia regiment. This is an error. The 69th NYSM produced only one federal volunteer regiment, 69th New York National Guard Artillery (NYNGA), not the 69th NYV. This confusion arose because the State of New York later redesignated the 69th NYNGA as the 182nd NYV. Befuddled historians ignored this redesignation, believing the 69th NYV to be the only true legacy of the 69th NYSM, essentially erasing an entire Irish regiment from the history books.'

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
The discussion has been going on for a while. While the 69th NYVI is a regiment formed out of the old 69th NY militia, they are not identical units and the militia regiment continued on after the VI sailed off in 1862.

The 69th NYSM did fight with that designation under the command of Colonel Corcoran at Bull Run. When the unit was deactivated, a handful of the officers and men formed a small cadre that the 69th NYVI recruited around. I think it could be argued that the 69th Volunteers were a child of the 69th Militia.

Ryan

source dmna.ny 'the war of the rebellion'
69th NYVI A large number of the members of the 69th Militia joined the regiment, on their return from their three months' service
182nd This regiment, Col. Mathew Murphy, was organized as the first regiment of the Corcoran Brigade, in New York city, in August, 1862, largely of members of the 69th Regiment of the National Guard of the State, returning from their three months' service as such.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)