History Enthusiast working at Fort Caswell

Hi everyone,

I have had a nearly lifelong interest in the Civil War, from the age of 9 I became fascinated after attending an event celebrating the anniversary of the Battle of Bentonville. I grew up just a short drive from Bentonville, NC, and my grandmother actually grew up on a section of the battlefield that my mother later sold to the state for preservation.

As an adult, I took a job at Fort Caswell on Oak Island, which is today owned and operated by the Baptist State Convention of NC as a retreat and conference center for religious retreats. When I came, no formal history programming or interpretation was being done for the public or our guests, but, since I have a natural passion for history, I did a great deal of research myself over the years, and started providing interpretation and programming that is available to the general public as well as our guests. I feel we are on the verge of turning a corner in the interpretation of the site and, hopefully someday, will be able to undertake some much needed preservation initiatives.

At the moment I'm working on two wayside markers which will detail the context and the guns of the fort during the Civil War. My research led me to this community where some members had posted some valuable leads, so I already like it here.

I'm just now working my way though Shelby Foote's narrative, in the third volume finally, and have several others on my list to knock out after that. Glad to be a part of the community. Hope to chat with many of you soon.

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
Silver Patron
Hi everyone,

I have had a nearly lifelong interest in the Civil War, from the age of 9 I became fascinated after attending an event celebrating the anniversary of the Battle of Bentonville. I grew up just a short drive from Bentonville, NC, and my grandmother actually grew up on a section of the battlefield that my mother later sold to the state for preservation.

As an adult, I took a job at Fort Caswell on Oak Island, which is today owned and operated by the Baptist State Convention of NC as a retreat and conference center for religious retreats. When I came, no formal history programming or interpretation was being done for the public or our guests, but, since I have a natural passion for history, I did a great deal of research myself over the years, and started providing interpretation and programming that is available to the general public as well as our guests. I feel we are on the verge of turning a corner in the interpretation of the site and, hopefully someday, will be able to undertake some much needed preservation initiatives.

At the moment I'm working on two wayside markers which will detail the context and the guns of the fort during the Civil War. My research led me to this community where some members had posted some valuable leads, so I already like it here.

I'm just now working my way though Shelby Foote's narrative, in the third volume finally, and have several others on my list to knock out after that. Glad to be a part of the community. Hope to chat with many of you soon.
Welcome aboard from the Railroads and Steam Locomotives forum.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)