History’s True Ice Queens

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
I got back last month from a 10 day trip/cruise to Antarctica. Incredible as it was with all the modern conveniences and safety
precautions it was still daunting to know you had to be aware of your own limitations. Hats off to those ladies...they really are remarkable.
Your trip sounds incredible! And yes those ladies were indeed remarkable.

I have a fear of height.
I don't think I knew this about you. If you have shared I had forgotten. Does it bother you to look out of the window on an airplane? My mother had a severe fear of heights.

I wonder how they did some of their "rock" climbing with those shoes.
I wondered the same thing. Yikes! I thought about this thread when I read @Northern Light's thread about 19th century women not being taught how to swim, etc. That makes these women even more fascinating to me.

I don't think I knew this about you. If you have shared I had forgotten. Does it bother you to look out of the window on an airplane?
No, that's okay by me. As long as I'm secure behind a wall or window, all is well. But I cannot even walk a trail that is yard wide if there is a rock wall on one side and a steep slope on the other. It's pure psycho, because as soon as there is a little bit of vegetation, maybe knee high, I'm fine - although it would not stop me at all if I really fell. But the thought of climbing up (or, even worse: down!!) a rock wall or across a crevice on a ladder makes me shiver. We once did a guided hike in Australia and climbed on top of a giant, naked boulder to watch the sunset. Everyone in our 8 people hiking group went oh!! and ah!! about the setting sun and beautiful colors, while I was only nervously looking for the easiest way down! It ended up with the tour guide taking my hand, making me bend my knees slightly and making me go down frontal, not sideways, as I had thought. I was bathed in sweat when we where down finally. To do that in a long skirt with a tight fitting corset - ugh, no, no, never!

Northern Light

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
No, that's okay by me. As long as I'm secure behind a wall or window, all is well. But I cannot even walk a trail that is yard wide if there is a rock wall on one side and a steep slope on the other. It's pure psycho, because as soon as there is a little bit of vegetation, maybe knee high, I'm fine - although it would not stop me at all if I really fell. But the thought of climbing up (or, even worse: down!!) a rock wall or across a crevice on a ladder makes me shiver. We once did a guided hike in Australia and climbed on top of a giant, naked boulder to watch the sunset. Everyone in our 8 people hiking group went oh!! and ah!! about the setting sun and beautiful colors, while I was only nervously looking for the easiest way down! It ended up with the tour guide taking my hand, making me bend my knees slightly and making me go down frontal, not sideways, as I had thought. I was bathed in sweat when we where down finally. To do that in a long skirt with a tight fitting corset - ugh, no, no, never!
I couldn't/ wouldn't go up the observation towers at Gettysburg., But flying doesn't bother me at all.

Cavalry Charger

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
We once did a guided hike in Australia and climbed on top of a giant, naked boulder to watch the sunset.
I think that 'naked boulder' you are talking about might be Ayer's Rock, now called Uluru. It is a popular tourist destination, but climbing it has now become controversial due its connection to Aboriginal folklore. The climb is not prohibited, but Anangu (traditional landowners) ask as visitors to their land that you respect their wishes, culture and law by not climbing Uluru. I climbed it as a teen when there was no controversy swirling around the site and it is common for people to run down the rock after the climb :eek: Surprisingly, this was actually possible! Pretty sure I took the more sensible route of walking down, and may have slid down part of it on my butt (also not uncommon when climbing down things :laugh:)

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)