Histories of Reconstruction...advice please!

CordeliaElliot

Private
Dear Gang,

It has been many years since I studied Southern history from an academic perspective.

I need to get "caught up" on the major trends/theories/research/perspectives &c on Reconstruction and state nationalism; the South in general and Alabama in particular. I realise that a great deal must have been done since Stamp, Foner and Carter....might members of this esteemed forum advise on a suitable reading list?

Kind regards,

Cordelia

This link to BiblioVault might be of interest. There are two recently published works about Alabama reconstruction on their list: First Freedom: The Responses of Alabama's Blacks to Emancipation and Reconstruction by Peter Kolchin (2008), and The Yellowhammer War: The Civil War and Reconstruction in Alabama edited by Kenneth W. Noe (2014).

Two older books on the list that might be of interest are Death at Cross Plains: An Alabama Reconstruction Tragedy by Gene L. Howard (1994) and The Scalawag In Alabama Politics, 1865-1881 by Sarah Woolfolk Wiggins (1977).

Another recent book on the era is The Wars of Reconstruction: The Brief, Violent History of America's Most Progressive Era by Douglas R. Egertonn (2014). A lecture that Egerton gave on the book for CSPAN is here.

If you are interested in Civil War memory, then Remembering the Civil War: Reunion and the Limits of Reconciliation by Caroline E. Janney (2013) might be of interest. A lecture that Janney gave on the book [URL='http://www.c-span.org/video/?315077-1/Rememberingthe']is on CSPAN here. [/URL]

Alan

Last edited:
I have a specific interest in Reconstruction in Louisiana, but for various reasons haven't progressed much beyond: The Edge of the Sword, The Ordeal of Carpetbagger Marshall H. Twitchell by Ted Tunnell LSU press 2001 and
But there Was No Peace, George C. Rable, second revised edition, 2007. So if anyone here can help me, will be much appreciated.

Dear Alan,

Thank you! I can see that I shall need to clear more room on my nightstand and my schedule.

I've already put in a request.....fortunately, I married an academic librarian!

I have a specific interest in Reconstruction in Louisiana, but for various reasons haven't progressed much beyond: The Edge of the Sword, The Ordeal of Carpetbagger Marshall H. Twitchell by Ted Tunnell LSU press 2001 and
But there Was No Peace, George C. Rable, second revised edition, 2007. So if anyone here can help me, will be much appreciated.

I have a special interest in the Easter Sunday 1873 so-called Colfax Riot because my maternal grandmother's family was from Grant Parish. I've read Leanna Kieth's The Colfax Massacre ( 2008 ) but thought it - perhaps naturally! - was overly sympathetic to the victims and their "allies"; I wanted to know more about the Reconstruction politics that led to the incident. There are at least a couple of other recent acounts; a couple of years ago I stayed in the same bed-and-breakfast there as one of the authors but haven't found the book yet, the name of which I unfortunately forget.

I have a special interest in the Easter Sunday 1873 so-called Colfax Riot because my maternal grandmother's family was from Grant Parish. I've read Leanna Kieth's The Colfax Massacre ( 2008 ) but thought it - perhaps naturally! - was overly sympathetic to the victims and their "allies"; I wanted to know more about the Reconstruction politics that led to the incident. There are at least a couple of other recent acounts; a couple of years ago I stayed in the same bed-and-breakfast there as one of the authors but haven't found the book yet, the name of which I unfortunately forget.

James
This history probably tells the story with the "allies" point of view. The Supreme Court decision was not popular wth the "allies". My GGGfather was a Judge in Memphis during the earlier Memphis riots.

Depending on the perspective some called each a riot or a massacre.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2013/07/what_was_the_colfax_massacre.html

James
I also have relatives that were in Alabama Lumsden's Battery. They may have had engagements with your relatives i Wood's / Lowry's Brigade and 33rd AL infantry {I have not checked) one wounded then died at Murphreesboro.

I've read "The Edge of the Sword" and a better and more historically documented book would be hard to find. I have a guy who had been in USCT (white officer) who became a Sheriff in southern La. Wrote Tunnell a couple of times and he doesn't respond. But the book is well worth reading and even buying for the source notes.

Another really good book. I feel it doesn't get the recognition it deserves because: 1) it projects and documents abolitionism / emancipation views held by Union Army soldiers way over the usual perception that many of the USA soldiers were racists - or at least non-abolitionists and 2) it was written by a woman. For an interesting example of her writing - as well as what the War of the Rebellion was called - see http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...f-war/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0#more-148147

I wanted to know more about the Reconstruction politics that led to the incident.

The Article BlueGrayBlood provided cites Charles Lane's The Day Freedom Died. That book will give you some political context, particularly that local to the Colfax community. It's been a while, but if you read it carefully, between the lines, you may gain some insight into what happened.

I have a guy who had been in USCT (white officer) who became a Sheriff in southern La.

I agree Tunnel's work has valuable source notes, but what do you mean by this quote? Just curious, thanks.

Cordelia
I am just a new cadet on this great site
I have been researching family histories for about 6 mo and have come across
some great research sites. I will forward the the ones that I think might help you as I come across them.

This link will take you to the site of the book that was written by, Smith & Maxwell from GGfather's diary
it is published in full with a picture, J T Searcy not shown, all men were young in the war Searcy 19.
Smith, Maxwell and Searcy all became doctors and stayed close friends.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/26455/26455-h/26455-h.htm

The diary was published privately. I have seen a copy of the transcription. I believe the Univ of AL has a copy as well as relatives.

Good luck with your research

Cordelia
I am just a new cadet on this great site
I have been researching family histories for about 6 mo and have come across
some great research sites. I will forward the the ones that I think might help you as I come across them.

This link will take you to the site of the book that was written by, Smith & Maxwell from GGfather's diary
it is published in full with a picture, J T Searcy not shown, all men were young in the war Searcy 19.
Smith, Maxwell and Searcy all became doctors and stayed close friends.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/26455/26455-h/26455-h.htm

The diary was published privately. I have seen a copy of the transcription. I believe the Univ of AL has a copy as well as relatives.

Good luck with your research

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/alabama/alabama-civil-war-muster-rolls.htm

Alabama Muster rolls

Cordelia I stared a private conversation with you for more info check your "inbox"

Back