HF Historical fiction book questions.

Historical-Fiction

BirdofHermes

Cadet
Hey!
I'm an aspiring author who had an idea for a collection of short stories set in a slightly fictionalized civil war era america. in the book a man from Arkansas goes to join the union army, first joining the regular infantry until eventually becoming a sharpshooter in late 1861. his skills being notable he is approached by a union general who makes him the private offer to be made apart of an experimental unit that would perform deep strike operations in the confederate south. the rest of the stories would be the experiences of him and his comrades throughout their miniaturized campaign through the south.
Now im fairly new to the civil war historical scene, and if im going to write this thing then dammit im going to make sure its done properly! i had a few immediate questions and would love to discuss this more with people who have made it their mission to learn, teach, and reenact this period of history, to ensure that not only are both sides of this war done justice but the people who have made this subject part of their lives can read this and be entertained by the idea it presents (without it being absolutely butchered by a man who doesnt have much knowledge on the subject.)
I'm not asking for research to be done for me or anything like that, but i would like to know of suggestions people have and ill try and post drafts of the stories to see what people think of it.
Thank you for your time and godspeed my friends!
BirdofHermes
P.S. it occurs to me i didn't actually ask any questions here. well here they are.
1) were there any kind of resistance movements within the confederacy? Be they political or paramilitary.
2) Should the unit have a specialized uniform (i was thinking of a VERY dark blue to help blend in with shadows during the night raids they would be conducting, with black rubber buttons similar to the sharpshooters so as not to give away their position.)
3) what would major targets be for a deep strike unit such as this?
and of course number 4) do you guys and gals have any suggestions? ultimately you all know far more than i do about this time period and so i will show that fact respect by legitimately taking suggestions and seeing how i can fit them into the story.
Again i want this to be something people interested in the civil war can read and enjoy so i want to make sure i include y'all in the process whenever possible.

Last edited:
Be pretty hard for a marksman to get noticed by a general. No one in 1861 thought of using assassins/snipers against valuable targets. It certainly wasn't taught in any military academy and most officers who were from civilian occupations were trying to master Hardee.

1) Resistance units - underground railroad. Helped not only slaves escape but also Union PoWs. Jayhawkers in the Trans-Mississipi and Midwest. Kept the Confederate Provost Marshal or Home Guard busy. Breakaway (or seceded places like West Virginia or Jones). Deserters were a major concern of the Provost.
2) No specialized uniform. Cost $$$. Best you can do is dark buttons like the 1st NYSS wore (they had dark rubber buttons like Berdan SS). They won't get far in uniform and don't forget, no uniform = spy which means execution.
3) Supply depots, railroad trestles to disrupt the flow of supplies. Warehouses, arsenals, ports. Think John the Painter, the Scotsman who contacted American Colonists during the American Revolution and contracted to torch the Royal Navy shipyard in Portsmouth.

Suggest you study the Great Train Chase about the theft of a locomotive by Union soldiers and the chase by a dedicated Confederate conductor. Buster Keaton made a flick, The General. Then read Rebel Watchdog about the Provost Marshal. You don't move without a pass. You may also want to read about Robert Small, the negro pilot who stole a boat (Charleston Harbor) and was commissioned a captain in the Union Army by Gen. David Hunter.

Hi there. Interesting concept for a book! I think Gary has given you some good things to think about.

BTW, Lincoln was protected against sharpshooters during his inauguration. His carriage was flanked by cavalry that jostled about and gave the viewer only a fleeting glimpse of the president elect. Rooftops along the inauguration route had sharpshooters who watched for open windows. Uniformed police and undercover detectives were among the crowd. The platform was protected 24 hours in advance to prevent any planting of explosive devices.

Now contrast that to the day Abe was assassinated. One soldier.

My suggestion is to read first-hand accounts by people who were in the army.

Time Life Books reprinted a bunch of autobiographies of soldiers and civilians who lived through the War of the Rebellion. They provide insight into life, politics, and details that I have not seen elsewhere.

Such as:

Hardtack and Coffee, or The Unwritten Story of Army Life (Collector's Library of the Civil War) – January, 1983 By John D Billings (Author), Charles W. Reed (Author)

Detailed Minutiae of Soldier Life in the Army of Northern Virginia, 1861-1865 (Collector's Library of the Civil War) Leather Bound – October, 1982 by Carlton McCarthy (Author)

The Citizen-Soldier; Or, Memoirs of a Volunteer (Collector's Library of the Civil War) Hardcover – March, 1983 by John Beatty (Author)

Mosby's Rangers (Collector's Library of the Civil War) reprinted January, 1983
byJames Joseph Williamson (Author)

Four Years in the Saddle: 1861~1865 (Abridged, Annotated)Paperback – November 11, 2016
by Author Harry Gilmor (Author)

Campaigning with Grant (Collector's Library of the Civil War) Leather Bound – 1985
By General Horace Porter (Author)

If you wish to know the infighting, politics, profiteering and self-sabotaging by the leaders and business folks and selling access to spys in Richmond I suggest reading:

- A Rebel War Clerk's Diary-Vol I Hardcover – January 1, 1982 By John B. Jones (Author)
- A Rebel War Clerk's Diary at the Confederate States Capital: Vol 2 (Collector's Library of the Civil War) Hardcover – January, 1983 by John B. Jones (Author)

Looks like you've already got some good information here.

Welcome to the site :smile: and good luck with your efforts!

The idea of such a unit is intriguing, if a bit unrealistic. As @gary pointed out, money was always an issue. The Federals, though well equipped, always seemed to be cash strapped, so no special uniforms.

Buttons could always be covered with fabric, and dark blue wool trousers might be substituted for the sky blues. A shell jacket might also be in order... A soldier clad in such a uniform COULD pass as a 'friendly' in poor lighting (dusk / dawn.)

Eliminate anything that might rattle while on the move... and perhaps cast off the bayonet, as it would see little use for troops such as these.

Good luck!

I'd become a purveyor of alcohol and encourage the famers to grow sell crops to make corn squeezing, whiskey, bourbon. More alcohol, less food and forage for the Confederate soldiers/armies. Then I'd sell it to soldiers to undermine discipline. Not exciting, but throw in counterfeit currency and you can promote hyper-inflation. Franchises of Beer Barn circa 1861-65.

A traveling minstrel show that gathers intelligence by going camp to camp, counting the tents to calculate the number of soldiers, identify the units and their leaders and morale. Send messages via carrier pigeon which are raised for food?

It's a far cry from an A-Team, LRRP, SAS, SEAL, SBS or spetsnaz.

Welcome!
Don't forget about the inevitable "Femme Fatale" character as a spy. There were so many others than just the famous ones we always hear about all the time like Belle Boyd etc. Not necessarily one who's from upper society either like the Greenhow or Van Lew but perhaps a lady of the evening or a lonely farm girl etc. There are many motives for all these women and were very valuable during the war and some even eventually married their captors after being caught. I'm sure there's at least one man in your unit who could fall prey to one of the siren types. :giggle:

Back