Historic sites in New Jersey and New York

West Point, NY (another great museum and Academy) not to far upstate from the metro area. Winfred Scott, John Buford, George Custer , Lt. Alonzo Cushing to name a few. Further upstate is the NYS museum in Albany that has the largest Flag collection ( you would have to check access) NYS Military Museum in Saratoga ( depending on your timing Saratoga Race Track). Grants Cottage not far from Saratoga. Col. Elmer Ellsworth buried in Mechanicville, again not far. Gen George H. Thomas in Troy, NY near Albany. In Schenectady four generals ( https://vale.owlwebdev.com/assets/Vale_Cemetery-CivilWar.pdf )

Last edited:

Green-Wood Cemetery

500 25th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11232

Sixteen Union generals, including Henry Halleck, Henry Slocum, Abram Duryee, and Fitz-John Porter, and two Confederate generals are buried at The Green-Wood Cemetery. Several Civil War monuments, including the cast zinc Drummer Boy and New York City's Soldiers' Monument, as well as a Civil War Soldiers' Lot (where approximately 130 Union veterans are interred, including men who died at Shiloh, Antietam, and Gettysburg) dot the cemetery's rolling hills. Four thousand and six hundred grave sites of Civil War veterans have been located (including 75 Confederates), and 2,000 gravestones for those in unmarked graves are being installed.

I went to the Company of Military Historians convention in New Jersey a month ago our filed trip included Princeton and Trenton and Washington crossing the Delaware River site. Of the three I thought the Washinton crossing was the best of the three.

Green-Wood Cemetery

500 25th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11232

Sixteen Union generals, including Henry Halleck, Henry Slocum, Abram Duryee, and Fitz-John Porter, and two Confederate generals are buried at The Green-Wood Cemetery. Several Civil War monuments, including the cast zinc Drummer Boy and New York City's Soldiers' Monument, as well as a Civil War Soldiers' Lot (where approximately 130 Union veterans are interred, including men who died at Shiloh, Antietam, and Gettysburg) dot the cemetery's rolling hills. Four thousand and six hundred grave sites of Civil War veterans have been located (including 75 Confederates), and 2,000 gravestones for those in unmarked graves are being installed.
what about Calvary Cemetery in Queens, NY where the Color Bearer of The Irish Brigade Peter Welsh is buried who was killed in the War. I'd rather visit him than a bunch of Generals. You had to have bigger you know whats to be up front with that big Green target then sitting on a horse in the rear!

I am mainly concerned with the ones around Princeton and Trenton as well as the Bronx and Brooklyn
Check out the Princeton Battlefield, just outside of town on Mercer Road. There are also historical markers showing where Washington marched from Trenton to Princeton. And some great hiking trails next to the Battlefield. My home town.

David H.

Greenwood Cemetery is a great recommendation. It was also the sight of fighting in the Battle of Long Island.
Fort Greene Park isn't far away. The remains of American prisoners who died on British prison ships are interred there. It's well worth seeing. https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/fort-greene-park/monuments/1222

Governors Island is worth the trip for Civil War era forts. Plus it's just a nice place to visit.

Fort Washington in upper Manhattan is completely built over with nothing to see. It's right near Fort Tryon Park which has great views and the Cloisters. Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx has Civil War graves.

Heading up to West Point there are Revolutionary War sites. With a car you can quickly see the site of the Battle of Stony Point and Fort Montgomery.

Last edited:
Morristown National Historical Park (Washington’s HQ) / Jockey Hollow. Also, Dey Mansion, Wayne, NJ ( also GW’s HQ).

I believe Hancock is buried in Norristown, Pa. He wasn't always hanging out in the rear, (@bayonet....... just kidding, and I share your admiration for Peter Welsh, and the Irish Brigade).

And I think Brandywine Battlefield, is pretty close to Philly too.

John

Back