Historic Recipe for Hanukkah

Yes I knew Newport has changed. I hope it is for the better. I actually liked the area, but it wasn't home. I missed Missouri a lot, so I came back here.

Hanukkah is the Jewish Festival of lights and is celebrated December 8 through 16 for 2012. On the Hebrew calendar, the dates are 25 Kislev to 2 Tevet in the year 5773.

It is an eight day celebration that commemorates the rededication of the Second Temple in Jersusalem in the second century B.C.E. during the Maccabean revolt against oppressive Greek rulers. It is celebrated by lighting a nine-branch candelabrum, commonly called a menorah.

Today, Jews everywhere light memorahs on each night of hanukkah. Traditionally, one candle or flame is lit for each night until the eighth night, when all eight lights shine together.

Gift giving is now a common practice and it is therefore a beloved time for Jewish children. Foods served at Hanukkah are fried potato pancakes called latkes and doughnuts called sufganiyot. The dreidel, spinning top with the four Hebrew letters, nun, gimel, hei, shin, has become synonymous with the holiday. The letters form an acronym for the message of Hanukkah, "a great miracle happened there".

Information from http://huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/0...uals-history-and-how-to-videos_n_2257645.html

Recipe for Hanukkah Latkes

2 large peeled russet potatoes
1 large egg
1 tablespoon flour or matzo meal
salt and pepper to taste
apple sauce and sour cream

Using largest hole of a grater, grate the potatoes into a large bowl. sprinkle flour or matzo meal over potatoes, add salt and pepper and mix well with a fork. Beat the egg into the poatoes and mix with a fork.

In a cast-iron skillet, pour enough peanut oil to make a 1/2 inch layer and heat very slowly, don't let the oil smoke. When oil is hot, spoon latke mix into oil and flatten with a spatula. Fry till golden brown, about 4 minutes, then flip over, reduce heat, and fry the other side, about 3 minutes. Drain onto a paper towel and serve with apple sauce and sour cream. Serves 2.

Recipe from: "Simple Pleasures for The Holidays" by Susannah Seton.
Very similar to how I make them. I let my grated potatoes sit in a colander for an hour or so to drain the water. Makes them fry crisper. Also I add a little cinnamon and nutmeg to the egg and potato mix. Always use matzo meal instead of flour.

Recipe for Sufganiyot (Jelly Doughnuts)

2 (1/4 ounces) envelopes dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
6 tablespoons shortening
5 cups flour
oil for deep frying
1 (13 1/2 ounce) jar strawberry jelly or other fruit jelly
Confectioners' sugar

1. Sprinkle yeast over warm water and let stamd five minutes or until foamy.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the yeast mixture, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and two cups flour. Mix for a few minutes at low speed.

3. Beat in remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead for about five minutes or until smooth and elastic.

4. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about an hour.

5.. Place the dough onto a floured surface and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into circles. Let rise again until doubled in bulk.

6. Heat 4 cups of oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 350 degrees. Carefully slide doughnuts into hot oil using a wide spatula. Turn the doughnuts over as they rise to the surface. Doughnuts are ready when both sides are golden brown.

7. Fill with 1 tablespoon jelly using a pastry injector, or by cutting a small slit in the side of the doughnut and inserting the jelly with a baby spoon. Close tightly, roll in confectioners' sugar.

Yield 40 doughnuts

When I arrived at work today there were boxes of these in the pantry. One of my co-workers brought them in to celebrate Hanukkah at the office. I have to say it really brightened my morning. And it was delicious :hungry:

I retired a year ago and that is the only thing I miss!!!!:laugh:

Yes, one of the only joys in an office is any kind of communal food/drink/party. We're very fortunate at my office as we enjoy far too many food related events ranging from Chinese New Year celebrations, to the department Christmas tree lighting party and our latest tradition the ugly holiday sweater contest being held this Friday! :D

Back