Historic houses and sites Augusta/Aiken area

The boyhood home of Woodrow Wilson is in Augusta. It is open for tours by appointment.
Lafayette McLaws was born in Augusta. His brother Wm Raymond McLaws lived there for many years. The house is located at 454 Greene Street but is not open to the public.
Augusta has several self guided walking tours of the historic districts. You can do Greene Street, Telfair, Broad Street or all of the above.
The Augusta Confederate Powder Works was there during the Civil War. It was the largest and perhaps the only permanent edifice erected by the CS government. It operated until 1865. The powder works was demolished about 1880-1882, all except for a smokestack/chimney that was left at the request of Albert Rains. Brick from the demolished powder works was used in the construction of the Sibley Cotton Mill which is similar in design to the powder works it replaced. Sibley Mill still exists but is not open for tours. You can see the chimney though at 1717 Goodrich Street.

When researching the 61 plantations owned by my Lamar family cousins for "Rebels in my Tree" I located the only remaining Plantation house, Woodlawn Plantation. It was built by Col. Thomas Gresham Lamar in N. Augusta, S. C. and still stands with some of it's land and outbuildings. It is privately owned so not open to the public. It may be possible to see something from the driveway at 1001 Old Aiken Rd.

woodlawn1.jpg

woodlawnland.jpg

woodlawnplantation.jpg

Woodlawn-slavecabin.jpg

When researching the 61 plantations owned by my Lamar family cousins for "Rebels in my Tree" I located the only remaining Plantation house, Woodlawn Plantation. It was built by Col. Thomas Gresham Lamar in N. Augusta, S. C. and still stands with some of it's land and outbuildings. It is privately owned so not open to the public. It may be possible to see something from the driveway at 1001 Old Aiken Rd.

View attachment 391544

View attachment 391545

View attachment 391546

View attachment 391547
I will go by the address and take a picture from the road and send to you what I am able to see.

Back