Historic Civil War Era Church Destroyed by Tornado

redbob

Lt. Colonel
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. QM Stones River / Franklin 2022
The First Presbyterian Church in Wetumpka, Alabama was among a number of structures in that city destroyed by a tornado today. The church was built in 1856 and from it the Wetumpka Light Guard left in 1861 to join the 3rd Alabama Infantry Regiment. William Lowndes Yancey a noted secessionist orator, was also a member of this church's congregation. Photo from al.com
50658246_10156670366470071_7591264273733517312_n (2).jpg

Last edited:
Tragic! We’re many hurt? I will raise up the city of Wetumpka and it’s citizens in Sunday School tomorrow.
May God Bless All!
Regards
David
I am sure that they will appreciate that and fortunately there have been no reports of any serious injuries.

Downtown Wetumpka devastated by tornado - WSFA.com

ETUMPKA, AL (WSFA) - Downtown Wetumpka was significantly damaged by a tornado Saturday afternoon.
The public was asked to stay away from downtown Wetumpka Saturday night to allow first responders to work. A curfew is in effect for the impacted area until 6 a.m. Sunday.

Multiple buildings in downtown Wetumpka were destroyed or significantly damaged. State emergency management officials estimate 35 homes throughout Elmore County were damaged.
Several roads in the downtown area were also covered with debris. Photos showed countless trees and power lines down and vehicles turned over and crushed.
Wetumpka Mayor Jerry Willis said the police station is damaged, and the city’s senior center is destroyed.
He said there is some damage on the east side of the Coosa River, but the worst of the damage is on the west side.

Hate hearing an historic church was one of the flattened buildings. Even without its past, it is dreadful for a congregation to lose their church.

We are pretty amazing when it comes to getting each other back on our feet. Have a feeling there will be plenty of volunteering down there. Maybe next year at this time someone will post a photo of the rebuilt church.

OMIGOSH, it appears the damage is complete. The only bright side I see is that it didn't happen while the church was full of worshippers this morning! I am sure the congregation will rise up and rebuild. May, with a little Divine inspiration and help, they can build a new structure that pays architectural homage to the old one.

I am on the way to Sunday School. Any updates on casualties or damage?
Regards
David

My wife's family is from/in Wetumpka and every time that I passed this church, I thought about it's history and what it meant to the community. The first Baptist Church across the street (which is not quite as old as this one) was also heavily damaged, but the miracle was that no one has been reported seriously injured (including a man who was in a car in the intersection next to the churches). The buildings may be gone, but the memories will live on. Miracle #2 was that all of these structures (including a senior center) were unoccupied at the time that the storm hit.

Back