Historic Burgaw, NC Train Depot

USS ALASKA

Captain
Historic Burgaw Train Depot predates the town itself
By Hunter Ingram StarNews Staff
Posted Dec 22, 2018 at 10:00 AM

The oldest still-standing train depot in North Carolina dates back to 1850 when it was an unassuming 30-foot-long structure. While small, it still pre-dated the actual incorporation of the town, leading some to say “Burgaw’s heart first beat at the depot.” It went on to become a major hub for communication, the shipping and sale of goods, and the town’s post office as the Wilmington-Weldon Railroad Company gained prominence. During the Civil War, a prisoner of war exchange site sprung up at the depot in February 1865 after the fall of Wilmington. After the war, it was expanded in 1898 to include offices and again in 1916-17, when the platform was extended and market space was added.

Full article with pics can be found here - https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20181222/historic-burgaw-train-depot-predates-town-itself

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

I've been to Burgaw several times, it used to be a stopping place on the way to the beach
whenever I'd go fishing down there. There was a good restaurant near Burgaw on the
Northeast Cape Fear river at a campground called Holland's Shelter that served delicious
seafood but it closed up this year after being flooded for at least the third time following
the hurricanes that affected the coastal areas of North Carolina. I'm going to miss the
food there, sometimes I'd make the one and a half hour drive from my residence just to
go eat at Holland's Shelter.

Last edited:
Back