Golden Thread Historic Boonville, Missouri

This might be the the best narrative of the battle;

http://www.mogenweb.org/cooper/Military/Negro_Soldiers.pdf

The article also points out, perhaps the first documented occurrence of Negroes taking part in battle. I don't know if it's true or not, but the story is, at least a few of the slaves were the property of Col. Brown, the leader of the Mo. State Guard, and on of the slaves shot his master. These slaves were never returned to their owners, and were eventually sent to Jefferson City, and from there, their story is lost to history.
Sounds like these slaves were emancipated. Why does Lincoln get all the glory, if Union commanders in Missouri were doing it in 1861?

Thespian Hall- The most iconic building in Boonville.

Thespian Hall was constructed by the Boonville Thespian Society in 1857 by the local contractors Homan & McDearmon allegedly using slave labor as part of the workforce. Architecturally the interior was in harmony with the Greek Revival style of the exterior. A curved stairway from the second floor descended to the lobby which contained the box office. Folding doors from the lobby opened into the auditorium. The second floor was committed to the use of fraternal lodges and the City of Boonville in return for funding subscribed from those sources. (E.J Melton- The First Hundred Years-1957).

The Thespian Society purpose was to promote a higher level of culture by presenting dramatic and comic plays and orations to the thriving river town. The auditorium, having at this time a level floor, was also used for civic meetings and receptions. The Hall remained the cultural center in town until the Civil War which unfortunately brought about the demise of the Thespian Society. During the war Boonville was captured by the rebels and retaken by the Union twice-being Shelby's Raid in 1863 and Price's Raid in 1864. At this time the Hall served as a hospital, stable and prison.

After the Civil War the building passed into the hands of Col. Joseph L. Stephens, who was one of the original incorporators, and from 1876 to 1895 it was leased to the German Cultural group the Turn and an Gesang Verein (Turners). In 1901 Stephens son Lon, who became the Governor of Missouri, and his brother Speed, a local banker, "modernized" the internal structure by providing a modern stage, lighting, mechanics, dressing rooms, a slanted floor, boxes, orchestra pit and modern embellishments such as a plaster a center medallion, moldings and artistic renderings. At this time the Hall was rechristened- The Stephens Opera House. Travelling theatrical groups on-the-road between St. Louis and Kansas City would often perform at the Hall. Intermittently, vaudeville and silent movies offered other entertainment to the locals. Following this, and now known as the Lyric Theatre "talkies" arrived and continued on until 1975 when it was soon after acquired and restored by the Friends of Historic Boonville, through the generous financial assistance of R. Crosby Kemper and the Kemper Foundation.

Under the ownership of the FOHB, the venerated old structure again became the cultural center of Boonville. Two important festivals occur every year-The Big Muddy Folk Festival and The Missouri Festival of the Arts which presents classical concerts by performers from the St. Louis and Kansas City Philharmonic orchestras and various classical vocalists and pianists.

In 1969 Thespian Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
(All photos -James Higbie Collection)

Thespian Hall Stereoview 1.jpg

Thespian Hall- James C. Macurdy ca. 1880

Thespian Hall.jpg
Thespian Hall - 1932- Photographer unknown

095030pr.jpg

Lyric Theatre- Psycho Movie.jpg

Lyric Theatre - 1960

Thespian Hall- Modern color.jpg
Thespian Hall - 2005

I remember the first time I laid my eyes on Thespian Hall when I first visited my sister and her family. Right away this structure was a wonderful site to see. And the American Civil War history attached to her was a cherry on the sundae.

Bill

Thespian Hall- The most iconic building in Boonville.

Thespian Hall was constructed by the Boonville Thespian Society in 1857 by the local contractors Homan & McDearmon allegedly using slave labor as part of the workforce. Architecturally the interior was in harmony with the Greek Revival style of the exterior. A curved stairway from the second floor descended to the lobby which contained the box office. Folding doors from the lobby opened into the auditorium. The second floor was committed to the use of fraternal lodges and the City of Boonville in return for funding subscribed from those sources. (E.J Melton- The First Hundred Years-1957).

The Thespian Society purpose was to promote a higher level of culture by presenting dramatic and comic plays and orations to the thriving river town. The auditorium, having at this time a level floor, was also used for civic meetings and receptions. The Hall remained the cultural center in town until the Civil War which unfortunately brought about the demise of the Thespian Society. During the war Boonville was captured by the rebels and retaken by the Union twice-being Shelby's Raid in 1863 and Price's Raid in 1864. At this time the Hall served as a hospital, stable and prison.

After the Civil War the building passed into the hands of Col. Joseph L. Stephens, who was one of the original incorporators, and from 1876 to 1895 it was leased to the German Cultural group the Turn and an Gesang Verein (Turners). In 1901 Stephens son Lon, who became the Governor of Missouri, and his brother Speed, a local banker, "modernized" the internal structure by providing a modern stage, lighting, mechanics, dressing rooms, a slanted floor, boxes, orchestra pit and modern embellishments such as a plaster a center medallion, moldings and artistic renderings. At this time the Hall was rechristened- The Stephens Opera House. Travelling theatrical groups on-the-road between St. Louis and Kansas City would often perform at the Hall. Intermittently, vaudeville and silent movies offered other entertainment to the locals. Following this, and now known as the Lyric Theatre "talkies" arrived and continued on until 1975 when it was soon after acquired and restored by the Friends of Historic Boonville, through the generous financial assistance of R. Crosby Kemper and the Kemper Foundation.

Under the ownership of the FOHB, the venerated old structure again became the cultural center of Boonville. Two important festivals occur every year-The Big Muddy Folk Festival and The Missouri Festival of the Arts which presents classical concerts by performers from the St. Louis and Kansas City Philharmonic orchestras and various classical vocalists and pianists.

In 1969 Thespian Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
(All photos -James Higbie Collection)

View attachment 203882
Thespian Hall- James C. Macurdy ca. 1880

View attachment 203886 Thespian Hall - 1932- Photographer unknown

View attachment 203884

View attachment 203885
Lyric Theatre - 1960

View attachment 203887 Thespian Hall - 2005
And I'd go so far as to call it the crown jewel of our Main Street. Nice period photos, Jim.

Thespian Hall factored into the Civil War numerous times. It was used as City Hall, as a hospital, and some people even think it was Price's headquarters in October of 1864 (although I am in the group that believes Price's headquarters were in the old City Hotel on Morgan Street.) Regardless, the building is a priceless artifact, all by itself. There is a brown granite monument, rather small, located at the corner of the steps. It is visible on a couple of these photos. It designates the Union fortifications (road blocks) which were surrendered to Gen. Shelby in October of 1864. Shelby's cavalry was the vanguard of Price's force, and he captured Boonville for Price. Lots of good stories are known about that event. Some have been posted here previously.

Pat, do you remember the, 1975 or was it 1976, Prices' Raid reenactment where the town militia set up and manned a barricade at the corner of Main & Vine Streets. A group of horseman then charged west on Vine shooting and hollering ending in a confrontation at Thespian Hall? That evening there was an 1860's dress-up Ball with orchestra and dancing on the stage. A fine time was had by all...

A little CW history with regards to Thespian Hall----

In the years leading up to the civil war, a German family by the name of Bell moved to the Boonville area. A boy from this family ( I can't remember his name at present-someone help me), eventually joined the home guard after the war broke out.
When Gen. Price captured Boonville in 1864, he was taken prisoner and along with the rest of the home guard, was housed in a room in the courthouse. While he and his fellows were confined, Capt. Bill Anderson rode into town to confer with Price. When the guerrillias heard that the Confederates had captured and confined the home guard, the guerrillias threatened to release and kill them all. Gen. Shelby had all of the home guard boys released, but now they were in more danger by being free than if they had stayed confined and guarded by the Confederates, as the guerrillias began to hunt for them throughout the city. The boy Bell ran to a relatives barn, located close to Thespian Hall where he had secreted his horse and a pistol shortly before his capture. When he got to the barn, he found that both his horse and pistol had been found and we're gone. Coming out of the barn, he noticed a group of Confederates camped behind Thespian Hall. Having not eaten anything since his capture, he approached them hoing to get something to eat. He told them his story, that he was a captured member of the home guard, and as such, his life was in danger from the guerrillias. The Confederates took him into their camp, fed him and gave him protection against the guerrillias, who they showed nothing but distain for. The next day when the Confederates left Boonville, the boy went to a sisters's house in town where she had him hide in a bed and pretend to be suffering from some disease. When the guerrillias showed up at her house, she was able to convince them that the boy was not part of the home guard and was suffering from some disease.
The captain of the home guard was not as lucky as the boy. After his capture, he had been confined to his house on third or fourth street, under Confederates guard, when by some means during the night, the guerrillias managed to remove him from the home and kill him. Gen. Shelby mentioned this incident and how much he regreted that it had happen.

The above is what I remembered from a book that Boonslick let me borrow about the Bell family of Boonville. Many thanks to him.

I went out today and took some pictures relating to the second Battle of Boonville. I had planned on posting them, but as often happens with me, I ran out of time. I'll post them as soon as time permits.

Pat, do you remember the, 1975 or was it 1976, Prices' Raid reenactment where the town militia set up and manned a barricade at the corner of Main & Vine Streets. A group of horseman then charged west on Vine shooting and hollering ending in a confrontation at Thespian Hall? That evening there was an 1860's dress-up Ball with orchestra and dancing on the stage. A fine time was had by all...
How I missed an event like that is beyond me...but I did. I either missed it completely or I happened to kill some brain cells that night. I have absolutely no recollection of it, whatsoever! YIKES!
A little CW history with regards to Thespian Hall----

In the years leading up to the civil war, a German family by the name of Bell moved to the Boonville area. A boy from this family ( I can't remember his name at present-someone help me), eventually joined the home guard after the war broke out.
When Gen. Price captured Boonville in 1864, he was taken prisoner and along with the rest of the home guard, was housed in a room in the courthouse. While he and his fellows were confined, Capt. Bill Anderson rode into town to confer with Price. When the guerrillias heard that the Confederates had captured and confined the home guard, the guerrillias threatened to release and kill them all. Gen. Shelby had all of the home guard boys released, but now they were in more danger by being free than if they had stayed confined and guarded by the Confederates, as the guerrillias began to hunt for them throughout the city. The boy Bell ran to a relatives barn, located close to Thespian Hall where he had secreted his horse and a pistol shortly before his capture. When he got to the barn, he found that both his horse and pistol had been found and we're gone. Coming out of the barn, he noticed a group of Confederates camped behind Thespian Hall. Having not eaten anything since his capture, he approached them hoing to get something to eat. He told them his story, that he was a captured member of the home guard, and as such, his life was in danger from the guerrillias. The Confederates took him into their camp, fed him and gave him protection against the guerrillias, who they showed nothing but distain for. The next day when the Confederates left Boonville, the boy went to a sisters's house in town where she had him hide in a bed and pretend to be suffering from some disease. When the guerrillias showed up at her house, she was able to convince them that the boy was not part of the home guard and was suffering from some disease.
The captain of the home guard was not as lucky as the boy. After his capture, he had been confined to his house on third or fourth street, under Confederates guard, when by some means during the night, the guerrillias managed to remove him from the home and kill him. Gen. Shelby mentioned this incident and how much he regreted that it had happen.

The above is what I remembered from a book that Boonslick let me borrow about the Bell family of Boonville. Many thanks to him.
Booner, you are thinking of Charles C. Bell, who was about 12 years old when that incident happened. My favorite part of his recollection is when he dismounted and walked south on 11th Street to see what was causing all the commotion he had heard--only to see Shelby's cavalry troopers trotting toward him four abreast! YIKES!

I went out today and took some pictures relating to the second Battle of Boonville. I had planned on posting them, but as often happens with me, I ran out of time. I'll post them as soon as time permits.
I'll look forward to those on Friday.

Booner, our discussion of the 2nd battle only covers one of at least four fairly important Civil War incidents in Boonville. It is also one of the least known to other folks. Your link detailing the battle includes a scene where Col. Brown shoots John A. Hayn off the burial mound. Hayn was the only Boonville citizen killed in the action, and the local GAR post was named for him. He's buried in Walnut Grove cemetery, along with plenty of other vets from both sides of the conflict. I love the inscription on Hayn's stone: "Died in defense of the National Banner at Boonville, Sept 13, 1861."

Hayn-32.jpg

Well, while we're waiting for @Booner's photos of the old fort area, I might as well add another picture relating to John A. Hayn. This is not a particularly good photo, but it's the only one I have of this side of the stone. It was placed in 1928 by the GAR post. I suppose after the hospital had been built, the old soldiers came to grips with the fact that part of their history had just gone the way of the bulldozer, so they placed this stone. This monument memorializes Hayn on this side and Ferdinand Gimble on the other side. It's placed in a fence line just barely on the old hospital property. Not easy to find, but I grew up with it in my neighborhood. I wasn't told about it by older siblings or my parents. My buddy and I just stumbled onto it one day when we were about ten or twelve, and learned more about it later.

Hayn for email.jpg

Having been to and worked in Booneville many times I thought I had some knowledge of the history of the war there. You guys are letting me know just how LITTLE I do know. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Dan

@Boonslick's post #20 reminds us that Boonville was once an important river port. The art print of the Kate Kinney steam boat shows her tied up at the foot of warf hill. Most of Warf Street is now buried under the approach to the Boonslick Bridge which spans the Missouri River at the north end of Main Street. More of it is buried under the Union Pacific River Subdivision rail bed. But a bit of it has been preserved in an interpretive area. This is thought by some to be one of the oldest (if not THE oldest) paved streets west of St. Louis. It was not the only street paved with these limestone blocks. One block to the west, the grade is a little less steep, and I believe a lot of goods were detoured to that street and then hauled up into the town. These stones have been in place for nearly 200 years. They factor into several Civil War stories, too. Anderson's bushwhackers might have ridden up this hill when they met Price in October of 1864. I believe Shelby's men fired at (but were unable to hit) a MSM patrol in a boat from the top of this hill in October of 1863. @Boonslick will be able to verify or correct that story, as needed.

wharf street.jpg

From at least the time of the building of the first MKT railroad bridge there was a railroad track existent along the landing area paralleling the Mo River. For years many thought that the track was part of the later Mo Pacific RR that was developed in the 1890's. Photos taken in the 1870's and 80's picture it and I believe that because the cobblestone road was so god-awful steep that it was unusable to shuttle freight up to Main Street. Therefore I believe that it was used to move freight and railroad supplies about 600 yards to 2nd. St where the grade is less steep.

tbridge.jpg

James C. Macurdy-Building the Bridge- 1871
(James Higbie Collection)

Last edited:
Back