Historian Kate Masur wants to know why 6,000 Confederates are buried in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
Ironically, your linked article in post #25 says this about the cemetery:

“Blacks were barred from being buried in Oak Woods until the cemetery was desegregated in the ‘60s.”

Dead Confederates didn’t have much choice but white Chicagoans certainly did and they opted for white supremacy. Maybe our new favorite historian could include that in her next hit job.
It's a disgrace but I wouldn't say that a segregated cemetery would make the list of worst white supremacist abuses (slavery, whipping, rape, lynching, vote suppression, church bombings, etc.)

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
Hmmmm talk bout pseudo-intellectuals and their self-proclaimeds sober mind and their feigned judicious minds

How exactly does does studying USCT relate to Confederate POW dead and cemetery memorial's? Were there substantial numbers of USCT imprisoned at Camp Douglas?....

If going by the state right quote on the sign, the USCT were equally guilty of dieing for white supremacy as slavery was still a US state right during the war..........because you know people don't fight for abstract principles.....

Perhaps should be different thread, but as this does relate to it....if there weren't black Confederates.......why are some being held prisoner?......it's my understanding those held prisoner pointedly refused a loyalty oath to the US.
Well, the ratio of white to black deaths in the confederate mound seems to be about 1000 to 1. In other words, for every thousand dead white confederates, there is one dead slave.

Well, the ratio of white to black deaths in the confederate mound seems to be about 1000 to 1. In other words, for every thousand dead white confederates, there is one dead slave.
Which relates how to white supremacy claims and USCT?

It's a memorial to Confederate dead POW's from Camp Douglas....just trying to keep up with the claims and references to about anything except that...Wade Hampton? W.E.B Dubois? USCT? So far seems a very round about road trip bouncing around to nowhere....

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
Which relates how to white supremacy claims and USCT?

It's a memorial to Confederate dead POW's from Camp Douglas....just trying to keep up with the claims and references to about anything except that...Wade Hampton? W.E.B Dubois? USCT? So far seems a very round about road trip bouncing around to nowhere....
It doesn't have anything to do with the USCT. I don't know why the USCT was even brought up.

Edited to add: okay, I see where the USCT was brought up, but it wasn't mentioned as the USCT directly relating to this cemetery, but more how this monument could be perceived as white supremacist.

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
Every Yankee fought for White Supremacy. Including Lincoln who thought Blacks shouldn’t live with Blacks. Mid Westerners were the most Racist of any region of the Country. Lincoln warned them, You don’t want to be plowing and look over your shoulder and see a Negro.

North had a less than 1% Black Population. That is the Definition of White Supremacy. Something worth passing along.
The North had more free blacks than the confederate states, so I don't see how this relates to anything.

kholland

Captain
Retired Moderator
...and she teaches Civil War history... :unsure:

"Principal Research Interests: U.S. history, Civil War and Reconstruction, anti-slavery movement, slavery, emancipation, race, politics, and the state."
"Professor Masur regularly teaches undergraduate courses on the Civil War and Reconstruction, the anti-slavery movement, Abraham Lincoln, and U.S. Women’s History."
https://history.northwestern.edu/people/faculty/core-faculty/kate-masur.html
When I saw the title of your post I immediately thought of a POW camp and Camp Douglas was one of the main ones. And I'm not a historian. Yes, there must be a reason that 6,000 Confederates are buried in Chicago, don't you think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.